Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your mechanical watches

alsendk

A-List Customer
My companion since 1972. Omega Speedmaster. My dad gave it to me at my 22 years birthday. Still up and running
KICX2193.JPG
KICX2194.JPG

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My mechanical companion is my Ball railroad chronometer pocket watch. It ticks like an old-fashioned time-bomb...LOUDLY!! My watchmaker said it would wake up the neighbours! Hahahaha!!!

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Grandpa's Trebex

I am the keeper of my maternal grandfather's 9kt rose gold 1950's Trebex. Not a terribly valuable watch monetarily but it's dear to me, nonetheless. It still works wonderfully, too. I remember Grandpa wearing it with the 1970's Spiedel metal stretch band shown but I'd like some opinions on a new band more in keeping with what might have come with it originally. Leather? Color? Source? Etc. Thanks!

P1070669.jpg P1070670.jpg P1070671.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
that Trebex is very nice, I have a round version in 9ct gold also a family heirloom, it keeps incredibly good time..they were cased up by BWC in London , they often supplied bigger companies for 25 and 50 year commerative and retirement watches.

Mines on a dark brown mock croc strap with a gold buckle and it gets worn for funerals, weddings etc...I wore it last week to our first grandchild's christening and received a couple of nice comments about the watch.

here's a link to an old post I made about it,
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/1960s-trebex-368680.html

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Have you considered a good old vintage Timex? I got this one for free, just added a band. It keeps good enough time, since you wind it every morning. I actually get complements, and lots of people remember the old John Cameron Swayze commercials!
IMG_4213.jpg
[video=youtube;HVatUaplyVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVatUaplyVU[/video]

Now that's nice. I had one of them 35 years ago. Much more tasteful than all those sports watches with their huge faces and busy dials.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Got this in Norway in 2004 and absolutely love it, a Certina DS-Pilot Automatic. Keeps fantastic time and I've lost count of how many people have complimented it.

CA101%20web.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Now that's nice. I had one of them 35 years ago. Much more tasteful than all those sports watches with their huge faces and busy dials.

Thanks! I have some monster watches, dating back to the early 70s, this is so much more comfortable.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
that Trebex is very nice, I have a round version in 9ct gold also a family heirloom, it keeps incredibly good time..they were cased up by BWC in London , they often supplied bigger companies for 25 and 50 year commerative and retirement watches.

Mines on a dark brown mock croc strap with a gold buckle and it gets worn for funerals, weddings etc...I wore it last week to our first grandchild's christening and received a couple of nice comments about the watch.

here's a link to an old post I made about it,
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/1960s-trebex-368680.html

You have a very nice Trebex, too! The logo on yours looks a bit different... is mine older? Family lore says 1950s so I went with that. How did you end up getting this front-loader open?

Since mine is rose gold, I think I'll go with a brown strap, too. Your beautiful watch has inspired me to get mine cleaned up. I hope to pass it on to my son one day. He turns 14 today and it's a bit early to give it to him now, he would break/lose it, lol.

I am the keeper of my maternal grandfather's 9kt rose gold 1950's Trebex. Not a terribly valuable watch monetarily but it's dear to me, nonetheless. It still works wonderfully, too. I remember Grandpa wearing it with the 1970's Spiedel metal stretch band shown but I'd like some opinions on a new band more in keeping with what might have come with it originally. Leather? Color? Source? Etc. Thanks!

I have my grandfather's presentation watch he got from his company for so many years of service. It's an Omega Genève, I believe, but it has a custom face with the company logo, and an inscription on the back. It's from the early '70's. My father gave it to me a few years ago, after keeping it untouched in a drawer for 30 years. I had it completely refurbished, which cost probably more than the watch is worth, but as with yours, it has sentimental value that no money can buy. My grandfather was very proud of it, and wore it every day up to and including the day he died. It's also special because my dad retired from the same company and I worked there a few years while I was in college as well. If I can figure it out, I'll post a picture.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I can't stand the alarm clock strapped to you wrist look. :p

Funny, that strap came off a watch presented to me by The Broadmoor, a Five Star hotel. I just realized something amazing, I have a lot of wrist and pocket watches, and I never paid a dime for any of them! I guess that means, I can buy one heck of a watch if I wont to.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
You have a very nice Trebex, too! The logo on yours looks a bit different... is mine older? Family lore says 1950s so I went with that. How did you end up getting this front-loader open?

Since mine is rose gold, I think I'll go with a brown strap, too. Your beautiful watch has inspired me to get mine cleaned up. I hope to pass it on to my son one day. He turns 14 today and it's a bit early to give it to him now, he would break/lose it, lol.

If I remember correctly I carefully slid an Exacto blade side on into the join between the bezel and case , it popped off fairly easily...mine is from 1961.....I think yours has a hinged back so careful insertion into the gap/join opposite end to the hinge should open it easy and it should/will be datemarked inside, I guess it'll be a BWC case.
My son breaks everything but my daughter is careful I also have a 69 Omega Constellation so they get one each one day until then I am their custodian and wear them at family occasions etc as they are both heirlooms, it's up to you but you might want to hang on a bit until he shows how careful he is or isn't when he discovers alcohol and the opposite sex.....or you could wear it yourself? either way I'd get it serviced at a reputable watchmakers.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran