Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Bookcases across from the desk. They are black Ikea cases - just functional. It always costs more to build bookcases than to buy them, but one day I am going to build a mahogany bookcase to match the desk, with carved details and columns.

Office07.jpg

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Corner behind the desk, showing wall and window treatments. Dark green wallpaper on lower walls, with gold fleur-de-lis border. Window valence is fringed tapestry, very popular 1920s era style.

Office03.jpg

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
The room has a cathedral ceiling, making it very airy and open, despite small room size. That space gives me extra room to put books, as well as display some trophies - these are also vintage.

Sable antelope, with 1920s era panorama photo of Shanghai beneath.

Office09.jpg

Springbok and Caribou

Office08.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fantastic office, Shanghailander! You've done very well with a smaller space, too.

I need to clear out about half of the clutter out of my office. :eek:

Could you post a shot of your framed luggage tags? That's a great idea.

I have several 19th steel engravings I need to frame and put up.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Fun to see that I am not the only one with this idea. For many years, I have schemed and planned to decorate my home office vintage, starting in the next year when college is all done.

I found a really nice rolltop desk from the late 1800's in an antique shop last week in Fredericksburg Texas. I'd like to one day have either a rolltop or a nice big antique oak desk, with plenty of drawers.

Basically, the only thing I'd like to be modern would be the computer and printing equipment; you just can't get by without that these days.

Basically just a lovely room to do some casework in, write fiction in, and listen to my old detective radio shows. It'll happen someday.

poetman

A-List Customer
Home Office

Does anyone else have pictures of a 1930's-1940's work space: desks, lamps, chairs, bookcases--anything? I would be very interested in seeing more office/library set-ups.

Thanks!

I'm almost Miss Sunny's polar opposite in some areas--I need plenty of heat, but I need very dim lights and blackout curtains on the windows so I can have some time without having to wear my shades. Also, a dehumidifier--it's gotta be dry heat, essentially a desert environment aside from the drinks in the fridge. A considerable amount of electrical outlets for the multiple computers and related accessories, vast arrays of bookcases and a huge desk are all must-haves, as are racks on the walls for various equipment including my personal- and home-defense firearms. I'll have to see about drawing up some sketches sometime... guess the "MacArthur office" would be more for dealing with clients/other visitors only.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Never seen this great thread before.
Here's my dreamoffice - allways dreamt of buying an old WWII Control Tower somewhere in UK and then rebuilt it to a great studio.
Tangmere_94.jpg

(This is the control tower at Tangmere. Famous RAF field during Battle of Britain)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took all the photos, but I'm having a horrible time uploading. I think I need another day. Photobucket is so slow it's driving me nuts. I value my sanity too much and I've spent about 5 hours trying to upload them.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
This might be a little pre-vintage but I can certainly see it in use during that period. I am particularly fond of this home office item. And, it is tremendously functional. It is a Parkins & Grotto Oak Stationery Cabinet w/ Writing Slope, Watch, Calendar, &/c. C. 1880

th_2-1.jpg

th_24.jpg

poetman

A-List Customer
John Boyer said:
This might be a little pre-vintage but I can certainly see it in use during that period. I am particularly fond of this home office item. And, it is tremendously functional. It is a Parkins & Grotto Oak Stationery Cabinet w/ Writing Slope, Watch, Calendar, &/c. C. 1880

th_2-1.jpg

th_24.jpg

Thanks for the post. Do you have any larger pictures of it? It's a bit hard to make out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy