Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

Wild Root

Gone Home
My ideal office is the one from the 1988 film "Tucker a man and his dream"... the office that the head of GM had was PERFECT! I can't find a screen shot of it but, I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about!

=WR=

Mike K.

One Too Many
My actual office - no joke!!

I love my job!!
DSCN0690_2.jpg

National Audubon Society, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
just outside Naples, Florida

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Ideally...

Ideally, I'd like a Large Mission Style desk but I just simply don't have the room. On my main desk, I have all the necessities that a guy should have. What you can't see is the 37' AM/SW radio on the other side of the room. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a vintage pencil sharpener...

Here is my very little desk that I sit at everyday when I work from home and when I browse The Lounge.

desk.JPG

I wish the whole house was more vintage, but over time perhaps I was thinking of going with a Mission style/Deco influenced theme all through the house with the exception of my office.

Jon

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not a bad little set up there pal! I totally dig the "Candlestick" phone!

Say, you know I'd sure love to see this 1937 radio you have... come on, give... make with the photos, see!

=WR=

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Not a bad little set up there pal! I totally dig the "Candlestick" phone!

Say, you know I'd sure love to see this 1937 radio you have... come on, give... make with the photos, see!

=WR=

Root,

Okay, my first correction is that it's a Messner. Here are the pics. She must have been damaged in the move two years ago, because she's just humming now when I turn her on. I'm going to have to take her apart and put the DMM and OScope to her and see what's going on.

Alas, finally the pics:

radio1.JPG

radio2.JPG

radio3.JPG

radio4.JPG

radio5.JPG

radio6.JPG

Hope you like it folks.

Jon

Sachet

Familiar Face
Mike K. said:
I love my job!!
DSCN0690_2.jpg

National Audubon Society, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
just outside Naples, Florida

Beautiful office, Mike! I've been there and enjoyed it a lot. (I took my kids on a field trip a few years ago when we lived nearby.)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy Office

This is my PAD. Although the offices are currently in temporary portakabins, painted in a nice military green to match the colour of our Hunter Welly boots probably!! Great for walking the dogs on the grounds during lunch break too (all very green wellyish, LandRovers, Black Labs and waxed jackets sort of place!!).

Hipsburn2026.jpg

Hipsburn2029.jpg

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
PADDY said:
This is my PAD. Although the offices are currently in temporary portakabins, painted in a nice military green to match the colour of our Hunter Welly boots probably!! Great for walking the dogs on the grounds during lunch break too (all very green wellyish, LandRovers, Black Labs and waxed jackets sort of place!!).

Hipsburn2026.jpg

Hipsburn2029.jpg

Hey Paddy: if that's where I think it is, do you have any trouble with low-flying first years? :D

Seriously, though. Apart from the heating, and the maintainance, and the inevitable tourists, I'm rather jealous - Alnwick's a lovely pile!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
lost links

Looks like I may have come too late to this thread.

A few of the links are gone now, mainly Paddy and FedoraGent

I really would love to have a look. Have they been moved? [huh]

For mobile applications:
IFFR_GCN_050408%20108.jpg

The office space aboard SCAP/Bataan III, MacArthur's personal Lockheed Constellation.

Fixed location design templates:
MacArthursOfficel.jpg

Room 806, AMP Building, Brisbane. If Miss HadleyH *tipping Field Marshal's cap* sees this thread, she could possibly tell you what it is today...

Or maybe:
http://www.digitalrailroad.net/TorinBoyd/Production/PhotoGroupView.aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=7756727
The former GHQ SCAP, 6th Floor, Dai Ichi Insurance Co. Bldg., Tokyo. 'Just across the moat from the Imperial Palace.' Most difficult to arrange a visit to, I'm told, but when one imagines the history made in that room...

mysterygal said:
then it makes you wonder what it means when a person has a messy desk :eek:

MG, didn't you know? "Creativity is NOT a pretty sight..." A look at my workshop would probably have some folks here clawing their eyes out from the horror... (And that's just the one I use to build scale models!)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I've long imagined my perfect office. It's not very realistic, but it would be ideal.

It would be suited to wine. The entire room - walls, ceiling, floors - would be tempered glass colored white on the underside, with a white glass desk and huge, white glass sideboard that ran at least two walls of the room for the scores of wine and decanters, stemware, and tools. Beneath one of the sideboards would be refrigerated storage. Any windows would be UV treated and capable of being blacked out entirely when needed.

In the center of the room would be a huge, heavy antique ebony table with many weathered, mis-matched antique chairs for tasting groups. For aesthetics and more casual/festive tasting parties, there would be a gigantic, antique crystal chandelier over the table connected to a dimmer.

There would have to be every conceivable possibility and adjustment for the lighting (for assessing the wine's appearances/age/condition), including lighting the walls and room from the bottom, and lighting directly over the table and sideboards.

Behind the desk in a corner there would be a 2/3rds tall glass wall concealing a stove and tiny prep, refrigerator, and half sink.

vonwotan

Practically Family
My ideal office would be the lavender fields at the Abbey Notre-Dame de S?©nanque in Gordes, France. I might go inside from time to time in winter, but otherwise I would like to work outdoors.

Sunny

One Too Many
I might as well jump in, since this thread's getting new life. :)

My ideal office would be in my home. Not necessarily my current home, but my home.

While not being a huge "outdoors person," I'm slightly compulsive about needing sunlight and fresh moving air and elbow-room. Lots of big windows are a must, but not those soulless walls of glass. Simply big windows, sash windows that OPEN, open WIDE, with white-painted wooden frames. A corner room would be best, for the maximum light. And the door must be opposite one set of windows in either the north or south walls. Prevailing winds here are usually northwest or southwest, so I want to maintain that breezeway. Although the not-uncommon 20+ mph winds may make into more of a wind tunnel than a breezeway.

(I might as well mention that the Dallas-Fort Worth area has an average annual windspeed slightly higher than that of Chicago.)

The room itself fairly large, with comfortable chairs arranged by the windows. Conversation areas, or workplaces for one who did four years of high school sitting on her bed or the floor. :) Light-colored flimsy curtains, perfect for blowing in the breeze. White trim and white or light-colored paper on the walls; not stark white, but simple and white in the nineteenth century tradition. Furniture, including desk, of wood; something like golden oak or light walnut, but not too dark. A radio - no specifics yet, but I'll know it when I find it.

Ceiling fan a must. The windows stay closed in the heat; there's nothing cooling about a 25 mph wind when it's 98 degrees. It feels like nothing so much as a hair dryer on full blast.

A small fireplace, with an armchair or two and an occasional table. The warm months here go from March to November, but the four months of fall-winter-spring do call for fires for this Texas hothouse plant. :)

And paperweights. Lots of paperweights. If I'm going to let all that wind in, I've got to make sure the papers don't go out. My favorites are a couple of pieces of petrified wood.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I'm currently putting together a couple of vintage looking offices, one at home and one where I spend most of the business day, so this thread has been a great help. My IDEAL office is the left fron seat of the Staggerwing, though! I'd post a picture but never figured out the technical complexity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy