Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
As far as I remember Edmund Hillary was wearing a Smith and Tenzing Norgay a Rolex when they were on the Everest. One got to remember that back in those days Rolex was not a luxury item but just a good watch.
I once owned an ex British Army Smith which had a particular nice quality movement.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
1897 Seth Thomas model5
-O8n.jP0y.f.i738MiOBGQ.jpg
C50GQz1DCGfBdf8O9j50tA.jpg

Amazing movement!

MissMittens

One Too Many
Wonderful "Seth Thomas" you have.

Modern watches just don't have the same degree of craftsmanship. I have a Breitling Chronomat Evolution, which used to be my everyday timepiece. I got curious and took the back off of the watch, and was surprised just how plain it was inside. All my period watches, even the "cheap" ones, like late 20's Elgin watches, all have a higher degree of craftsmanship.

Your Seth is beautiful, especially INSIDE. A very nice watch indeed.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I just opened my Pobeda watches from 1951 and inside they're almost as nice as yours Breitling :D

You raised a very good point here, that Russian watches are often very well made. Don't see very many of them in the US though. Most people's opinion of anything Russian made, is that it must be cheap and poorly constructed :/

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I am one of them, but only within the meaning of electronics. It was almost same throughout the Eastern Bloc though. Watches like Ruhla, Prim, or Poljot were (and still are) really well known for its quality.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I am one of them, but only within the meaning of electronics. It was almost same throughout the Eastern Bloc though. Watches like Ruhla, Prim, or Poljot were (and still are) really well known for its quality.

Electronics and automobiles from the Eastern Bloc were notorious, agreed.

I remember the sourge of Trabants rolling into Berlin when the wall came down......dirty little things they were too

MissMittens

One Too Many
Must have been amazing there, but what are the feelings of a man to whom that event had no impact?
Sorry for OT ;)

It had a certain impact. It was the end of an era, the end of bitterness between the East and the West, and the music of the time - particulary "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions summed up the hope everyone had in Europe for peace and a change. The change that didn't really come because of Putin, but that's another matter.

To be respectful, I think the event had an impact on everyone around the world. It certainly seemed like an end to Communism as a dominant force, and re-enforced the Western view that democracy was the right way.

The downside was the reunification of Germany. For many, now shattered fragments of the former Soviet Union, they worried that a large Germany would pose a threat to sovereignty. As it turns out, the reunification made Germany arguably WEAKER for a long time, rather than stronger. Britain and America didn't have any issues with the reunification. It seemed natural to everyone for Germany to be one again.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
These are my Great-Grandfather's watches, which I have aquired.

00811.jpg

Sadly, this one wont start. Any ideas on how to get it to run? If not, I will save, and take it to a watch shop, but I have heard they charge alot of cash (and thats something I don't really have at the moment!)

01210.jpg

01411.jpg

01513.jpg

01710.jpg

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
These are my Great-Grandfather's watches, which I have aquired.

00811.jpg

Sadly, this one wont start. Any ideas on how to get it to run? If not, I will save, and take it to a watch shop, but I have heard they charge alot of cash (and thats something I don't really have at the moment!)

01210.jpg

01411.jpg

01513.jpg

01710.jpg
I bought a 1969 Seiko Automatic...took back off and used compressed air like that for computers...keeps perfect time!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
And if your comment is directed at me, I clearly stated that they are my Great-Grandfathers. Maybe try reading what I say, instead of getting googly-eyes at the photos.

Any other ideas on how to fix the Seiko?

Though they're not everyone's cup of tea, those early-ish LCD watches are certainly interesting. Some of them are now very collectable, and very IN for the student crowd.

To fix the seiko take it or send it to a reputable watchmaker (not the local watch shop - they typically won't have anyone on staff who actually knows how to do anything more than change a battery).

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic