Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

I found a few pictures of my watches in my photobucket account:
Hampden-Movement.jpg

Hampden-Face.jpg

Hampden 21 Jewel

1800-Breguetface.jpg

1800-Breguet.jpg

An odd pocketwatch that I can hardly believe it is what it is marked:Breguet & Fils Keywind

1920-Elginwatch.jpg

1920s Elgin that needs its stem replaced.

Waltham-Premier2.jpg

1940s Waltham Premier

Regards,

J

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is that Elgin wristwatch really oriented parallel to the arm?

Okay, If you wore it on the inside of your wrist that could work.

Feraud

Bartender
Here is a Bulova that belonged to my grandfather. The serial number dates it from 1957.
Picture5510.jpg

A few pocket watches.
Picture5511.jpg

Picture5512.jpg

This is an 18 size Waltham with a nice coin edge.
Picture5513.jpg

Picture5514.jpg

Picture5515.jpg

Another Waltham. Sorry about the blurry pictures. This watch is a bit smaller than the last one. A size 12 I think and very ornate.
You should still be able to make out the engravings.
Picture5516.jpg

There is an elk engraved on this cover. Some of the gold plating has worn off.
Picture5517.jpg

Picture5518.jpg

A blurry picture of the side.
Picture5519.jpg

I also have quite a few vintage watch chains.
Thanks for looking!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love those Walthams. I've probably mentioned it before, but I work up the street from the factory where those watches were made. I have a special place in my heart for them. The one with the hunter case and coin edge is very nice.

Here are some photos of my vintage watches (click on them and they'll get bigger):

Here is a close up of the 1948 Elgin wristwatch that is absolutely amazing. I won this at last year's Queen Mary courtesy of Michaelson. ;)

This is a Waltham of mine, plain, but reliable:

I also have another very nice Elgin pocketwatch, but I don't seem to have a photo.

carebear said:
Is that Elgin wristwatch really oriented parallel to the arm?

Okay, If you wore it on the inside of your wrist that could work.

Heheheehh! Yep it sure is. You have to remember that in the 1920s the wrist watch was a new thing. They used ladies pocketwatch movements for watches so they wouldn't lose money if wristwatches didn't fly. They could just recase the movements. ;)
Practical fellows those watch manufacturers. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

carebear

jamespowers said:
Heheheehh! Yep it sure is. You have to remember that in the 1920s the wrist watch was a new thing. They used ladies pocketwatch movements for watches so they wouldn't lose money if wristwatches didn't fly. They could just recase the movements. ;)
Practical fellows those watch manufacturers. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

That makes an amazing amount of sense.

DOUGLAS

Feraud, those Waltham watches are beautiful. If you have a Waltham Bond it was probably made in my building as I live in The Waltham Watch building.It was built in the late 1880s. It did burn down once and was rebuilt.
I wear a Tissot PR100 as my everyday watch.It is very accurite and is made well.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Happy Stroller said:
Does anyone have any explanation why Rado watches were considered quite prestigious more than three decads ago?

I’m going to go with fashion trends. Look at swatch watches? They were just plastic POS in my opinion. But they were all over and selling for a LOT. In fact some vintage swatches still got for a mint. I really don’t get it.

I say if you want a nice watch look for Movado. I love them!

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
I've been thinking of pickign up a Hamilton, but I get seduced by the Montblanc store.

Picked this up today, but in a blackface.
Very nice. So this is what you did today after lunch! :eusa_clap
MrBern I have been meaning to show you these.
Picture5670.jpg

Hamilton & Gruen, excellent condition. Purchased from a FL member.

shindeco

A-List Customer
A question for the watch buffs

I have an old watch that I got several years ago. It's 40s (old new stock) ; labelled FIJO/antimagnetic/Swiss made.

The problem is the wristband. I've worn it out and need to replace it BUT the pins don't come out (jewellers and watch people don't believe me when I tell them this; they all try to get the pins out, then look at me in amazement and say "the pins don't come out!" lol )

One dealer told me that there is a company that makes replacement bands with fold over tabs that self glue designed for just such watches (no idea what the brand is). Does anyone know how/where I can get a band like that or other suggestions for replacing the wrist band.

Thanks

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
shindeco said:
One dealer told me that there is a company that makes replacement bands with fold over tabs that self glue designed for just such watches
They're called open end bands, several companies make them and they're widely available. Here's some in croc but they're available in leather as well.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou