Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

jdjs

Familiar Face
pablocham said:
Looks like a bubbleback but with some crazy dial added. Any idea what the bottom dial does?

Would you believe it is a relative day indicator. The upper dial reads Midnight to Noon to Midnight, with the bottom showing the fraction of the day that has elapsed. It resets itself at night (the model is called Swing Hand).

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I like this model

FS4233.jpg

kools

Practically Family
I have two of them I wear for every day use...when I don't want to worry about ruining a real nice watch. I bought them about 10 years ago. They both look a bit like the Gruen Curvex recent issues.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
pablocham said:
Looks like a bubbleback but with some crazy dial added. Any idea what the bottom dial does?

Nothing at all! My experience with Fossil watches are, hat they show you the time. And thats about it. Most other things are nonworking gadgets. And pure showoff.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I don't care for extra gizmos myself. Just time is all I need. I can't wear any watch that doesn't have a stainless steel case. The pot metal/zinc cases corrode away very quickly on me. A SS case watch is actually pretty hard to come by. I have a plain, white face, black number Timex Indiglo watch that I got several years ago (and which I cannot find anymore) with a Stainless steel case. Works beautifully, and the case won't rot itself off my arm! I would actually prefer a gold-colored watch, but...

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
The pot metal/zinc cases corrode away very quickly on me. A SS case watch is actually pretty hard to come by.

I have the same problem. But it is really easy to find vintage watches that are stainless steel. Thanks to ebay and my own silly enthusiasms I have many more watches than I can wear. Also, solid gold watches can be had affordably. You can generally find good Hamiltons and Elgins in solid gold for under 300 on ebay. I have a 14k Tissot that I paid about two hundred for. Of course you will need a good and reasonably priced watchmaker, because they will almost always need to be cleaned and adjusted.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Just won this...

1940s NOS Swiss (unknown maker). Can't WAIT for it to arrive from Australia.

SW1.jpg

Described as follows:

Very stylish Mens 1940s wrist watch. Swiss stainless steel 29mm case with amazing large hinged 10mm long and 22mm wide hinged moveable lugs. Top grade signed Swiss 15 Jewel manual wind movement. All original cream 23mm dial, with sub seconds. From a retired jewellers stock & never worn.

undertaker

Practically Family
Hard Question

This is a hard one. I can't really narrow it down to one. However I did aquire a key wind Rockford Pocket watch today Cir. 1879 in a 4 oz coin silver case that might be my current favorite, also I have an over sized swiss key winder from the 1870's that I am quite fond of, favorites change daily around here[huh] . I have been wearing a late 70's mid size Rolex, but now I have dropped back to a 1950's 14k Wittnauer. We shall see what tomorrow holds.

1879 Rockford
Rockfordwatch001.jpg

1870's Swiss Oversize w/hack button
Rockfordwatch002.jpg

Regards,
J.S.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favorite every day watch is a Tissot PR100. It is very simple and light with clean lines and is most of all reliable and not expensive.
DSCN4587.jpg

rongoms

Familiar Face
Very nice, Douglas!

You should know that you've also got Tritium luminescent materiel on that little puppy....should be bright enought to read by!

Tissot is one of my favorite budget-priced watch brands. they're a little on the small side (< 40 mm) but they're always clean and easy to read.

Well done!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks rongoms,I have been very hard on this watch and it has taken it all. The hands are very easy to read in low light and the saffire crystal will blind you if it hits the sun at the right angle. In my work a leather band is not practical so the braclett works well. I like the small size, I find the larger, heavier watches too cumbersome and uncomfortable for my taste.I have never had any problems with this model and when it goes I will get the same one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff