Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

deco_droid

New in Town
^^
A classy timepiece!

What I hate about quartz watches is changing the batteries even if it's once every few years. Because with the exception of a few brands like Swatch you either have to incur the added expense of having someone open it up to replace the batteries or invest in some watchmaker's tools to do it yourself.

I felt the same way, but because I have so many watches, I decided to take the plunge and bought a fairly nice watch repair kit for around $30 on ebay, I believe. The only tricky part is some casebacks are harder than others to pop off. Otherwise, it was money well spent.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Would any of you have any interest in buying a whole bunch of crystals? 10 years ago I picked up a large amount of replacement watch crystals and have had them tucked away along with a few vintage watches and would like to clear some things out inclunding some watches.
Anyone?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
IMG_0568.jpg
[/IMG]

This one is not vintage but a good example of a new retro style Hamilton.
Looks like a homage to Breguet.

Not vintage in date but definately in style my 2010 Sekonda quartz, obviously stylede after Brietling etc;
mkb3n7.jpg
2gtzxgo.jpg

All the small dials work as does the inner bezel for working out distance/ fuel consupmtion etc...the strap is a replacement as I didn't like the original too much.

Sekonda started out as an importer of Russian watches. Most of their early watches from the '60s and '70s are Poljots. I myself am looking for a 3017 Strela which are much sought after by collectors of Russian watches -- including the Sekonda branded version.

sekonda1.jpg

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Those Strela's are V nice VC pity they were never made with a stainless steel case...Sekondas were very much underated, quite correct on the importer bit they used watches from all over Russia including Poljot...I have about 10 or so mostly 60's and 70 all are very reliable, parts are easy to get, often I have been able to do a complete movement dial swap from a cosmetically tired watch to a watch in good cosmetic but non running condition VERY cheaply...you can often find them for less than a tenner (uk) on you know where.
I have an all stainless Poljot from around 1961, I'll dig it out and post some pics.
3026p00.jpg
2u3z2qc.jpg
mw9nkj.jpg

The dial has aged somewhat and I'd change it if I could find a better one but in 3 years of looking I haven't found one yet...even the second finger has lume in it, still time within a minute a day.
Here's a better movement shot;
vyr6t3.jpg

Last edited:
From the 1990s to just a few years ago Poljot and its successor Volmax reissued the Strela with the 3133 movement. From what I've read the 3133 Strelas are more robust than the original 3017 which was not shockproof. At any rate I've become hooked on 3133s and by extension chronographs from the '60s and '70s with its Swiss cousin the Valjoux 7733 and 34.

Last edited:
As you know from many of my posts I'm a big Morecambe & Wise fan. Watching the clips of their show I became quite intrigued by Eric's watch which can be seen in many of the episodes, as well as in numerous photographs of Eric. The mystery was finally solved when I received my copy of Eric Morecambe Unseen: The Lost Diaries, Jokes and Photographs which includes excerpts from his diary. In one of the diary entries he mentions purchasing the watch, a Breitling, for £38/16/0 (roughly $200 in 1967), equivalent to $1,000 in today's money. And sure enough, I came across this one that looks similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-Breitling-Top-Time-Chronograph-Gents-Watch-/320885413309?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item4ab642d5bd

breitlingwatch-1.jpg

EricErnie4.jpg

And here you can see the Breitling in greater detail, particularly the chrono buttons.
EricMorecambe2.jpg

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I do like that! It's a shame that watches have gotten so big and bulky, I think that is why men have stopped wearing them! My 50s Timex is nice and small, hardly notice I'm wearing it. Wish I could buy that one!

Talbot

One Too Many
Very nice unit. Understated quality and precision. Whoever snaps it up should be pleased.

I once owned a 1967 Brietling AOPA Navitimer. That was a big watch!

I'd like to bid, but as it is, at the end of the money there is still some of the month left.

Last edited:
A new one sent down by my father. It was handed into his shop "to be used for parts". he cleaned it and passed it on to me. He happened to have a nice old military strap hanging around his workbench … Any ideas on age? He said 60s, but the aesthetic seems a bit older than that to me.

GPWatch1.jpg

GPWatch2.jpg

Nice Girard Perregaux. It could possibly be 50s at the earliest. The round style lasted well into the 1970s. 40s were more or less tank style watches.
The only way to tell how old it is for sure would be by the serial number on the movement.
Perregaux is a great old watch brand. Enjoy it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This is waiting to be repaired. It's a 1957 Smiths watch (which i believe was a moderately good manufacturer) that belonged to a family member:

copy-1.jpg

Interestingly, it has the logo of 'Bristol Aviation' on the rear (which the original owner worked for). I assume it was his retirement gift:

copy-2.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
TT,

Nice solid gold retirement watch. It will look fantastic with a new crystal.

I'm not sure of the details, however I recall reading somewhere that Sir Edmund Hillary wore a Smiths watch when he scaled Everest.

He was carrying a Rolex (for reasons which I can't recall), and this was widely publicised.

Others may be able to correct me on this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24