Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Talbot

One Too Many
IMG_20121010_065832.jpg

1954 LeCoultre Futurematic

IMG_20121010_065847.jpg

Crown

A very complicated watch and LeCoultre is reported to have lost money on each one sold.

You slide the 'crown' to the side to set the hands. You wind it by moving the watch. The dial at 9 shows the power reserve of the automatic movement.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Picked up my new Mitchell Leather shell cordovan strap today. Not the best picture of my Hamilton Rodney, but wanted to show the strap. Its a single piece continuous strap of natural shell cordovan from Horween.

B

hamilton_mitchell_2.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
thanks talbot! not really. i think most people don't care. only the guys who collect these accutron spaceview 214's, or had one in the 1960's/70's would probably comment. . . .
I have two Accutrons from that period. One in particular is interesting -- a "doctor's watch" ca. 1967 with the Latin words for "Count to 20 beats" printed around the dial. It came from the Internet seller with the original box and papers, showing the first owner's name and location in Oklahoma.

The weird thing is that one of my co-workers at the time, when she lived in OK, knew the first owner!

The watch is a little small for me, which was the style in those days. I need to have a new, proper battery put in and maybe a refurbishment.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I was a bit hesitant to post here because these watches are not vintage but vintage themed. I have owned numerous vintage watches such as Gruen and Longines tanks but age (eyesight) and practicality (size) eventually over ruled authentic for me. With that caveat:

Chronoswiss Imperator, the hands are blued, not black as they appear:

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Roamer, an old Swiss brand but a new watch featuring the hand wound Unitas movement. There's nothing as satisfying as winding up and hearing a slow beat engine:

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Finally a 1970's era Rado NCC 404, big enough to be satisfying on my wrist

IMG_0334.jpg

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Speaking of watch bands, I've got a pretty big supply of slimmer dead-stock, all types, even crocodile and lizard, all colours and types, but slimmer, like I said. Anyway, here's my new baby. I normally don't wear wrist-watches, but I saw this one and fell in love! I'd been searching for something slim and not round faced and this perfectly fit the bill and was even art deco. Jackpot!

From what I gather, it's a 1920s model Elgin, I think rhodium plated, it has all of its original hardware, even the buckle (I switched out the black wrist-band which was original but flimsy and cracked on the underside) for one of my dead-stock lizard-skin bands in mahogany to match my favorite pass-port wallet. Oh, as the rest of my watches, it is a wind-up. The only way to fly! Ha! Also notice the blued hands and charming face details and unusual case shape and design!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DeathinanAlley/1208120739.jpeg (fix your photo loading interface!)

Last edited:

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
Evan,

You Elgin could be late 20s, but I lean more toward the mid 30s. You picture is not very clear, so it is hard to see the detail. I think I see sort of steps on the side of the case. That is very much mid 30s or a bit later.

If you can provide the serial number from the back of the movement (not the case), we could put the earliest date on it.

Actually, you can do this for yourself. Go to http://pocketwatchdatabase.com/ and enter the serial number engraved on the back of the movement. To open the case, pull out the stem as though you were going to set the watch. You can use a small knife to pry open the back of the case. There should be flanges on the case back near one of the strapa to put the knife under. The movement will probably come with the back. Then remove the movement from the case back. If it is a three part case, where the movement stays with a middle section, then it is very late. Be careful of the balance. Either way you can then you can read the serial number.

Don

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Left BIFORA, late 30's with replacement leather band.

Right, deadstock, perfect condition OSCO PARAT (dating this at earliest 1948, however consisting of parts that date to the late 1930's).

SAM_2769.jpg

SAM_26111.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
No, the case is just some kind of base metal, and the back is stainless. Still a nice watch, but after they outsourced production.

Long before kids and before collecting hats, my wife and I were frequent flea market shoppers. I always enjoyed the watches. At some point I bought a stainless winding Rolex and it became my daily wearer. I rarely wore the others after. Yesterday I had a quiet afternoon and took some photos of my little collection and thought I would share some here. Many of the bands are replacements.

Hamilton gold filled. One of the first I purchased, well used, but runs well.

hamiltonsquare.jpg

More recent, also gold filled.

hamiltonround1.jpg

Probably the most collectable in our small collection - this one was owned by Donna's grandfather who was a welder for the NYC subway system. His dress watch, worn very infrequently. 14K.

hamiltondeco.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy