Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life with ONE great Leather Jacket vs. Life with MANY Leather Jackets

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Man, you're OLD. :D A "fixie" is a bicycle with fixed gear. ;) Must-have for hipsters!

In my neighborhood "Fixies" were called "Truck Bikes". One gear and coaster brakes. If you rode one you were considered one broke ass. Of course... I had one. My Dad, the worlds biggest garbage picker, picked it up somewhere. He spray painted it and I rode it. Big, heavy and blue... God I miss her.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Such a bad part of town where you live in? I traveled south-east Asia and India mostly with my Omega GMT strapped to my wrist and I never had the feeling anybody would be lusting after it, even when it represented an annual workers-income in some places. And you're by no means a whimpy guy, are you?
Most Rolexes on the steets are fakes anyway, no thief with a bit of self-respect would go through the uncertainty to steal a watch. Wallets are better -> fake-proof money inside. ;)

True enough in most places... I don't walk in fear and can still scrap a bit. But I live in a Country where there are more guns than people so.... I'd rather not be starin' down the business end of anything because someone fancies my timepiece. Just sayin'.

Worf

GregO

One of the Regulars
I've got a fixie I ride at the beach. Call me a hipster and I'll have to hurt you -- I'll beat you with my Ray-Bans.

Edward

Bartender
My mother has in the past bemoaned how the word gay changed from one meaning to another. For her generation gay meant colourful and happy. ( I must stress she is not homophobic ). I feel the same way about the H word. Hipster to me refers to pot smoking, jazz loving hep cats from the 50's, in other words, beatniks, or the beat generation. That I can identify with. I sound like my mother now, but when did the Hipster word become an insult and a means for people to look down there noses at other people. And in fact many of the things I like fall into that category - analogue photography, typewriters & other retro/vintage objects, selvedge denim, vintage clothes. These things I like. Coffee, craft beer, tattoos, I am not so keen on, but I don't spend my time or energy berating those that do love those things. To sum up - unfortunately the H word has become a short hand insult for people you don't like the look of. I just wish it was a compliment for people you do like the look of.

In that sense, hipster has certainly changed meaning since the 50s.... I don't know that people call hipsters hipsters to be insulting, though..... as distinct from the fact that so many speak contemptuously about hipsters because they hold what hipsters are in high contempt. TBh, I don't think most people are all that bothered about what hipsters are into, rather than the lurking suspicion that they aren't really that into it at all, they just think it's funny or obtuse or it'll get them attention or whatever. The one that mystifies me is the 35mm photography, given that I highly doubt many Dalston bedsits have space for a darkroom. I couldn't wait to get into digital photography, and you really couldn't pay me to go back to the hassle of film. [huh] I suppose, though, it's what was the norm back in the eighties, and that's the mainstream pop-culutre era which current hipsters seem to focus on. That'd be about ten years before most of them were born (I'm teaching final year undergraduate kids this year who were born in 1994), which seems to be about right for that sort of "here's a bunch of older stuff we've reinevented for our generation" variety of nostalgia to kick in. In terms of "hipster" being an insult, I've only really seen it in that context where people who blatantly are hipsters and have gone to a lot of effort with it seek to make a show of not being hipsters. That's like owning every episode of Star Trek ever made, huge collection of memorabilia, watching it every day.... and then taking offence when you get called a fan.

Me, I'm happy enough to live and let live.... they don't create any significant competition for the good vintage stuff, and the repro bits they want help to stimulate business for at least some of the things I like (unfortunately less so trousers... they seem terrible for wanting to take an original Edwardian or 30s design, say, and "updating it for today!" by taking away all the things that actually made it great to begin with, chiefly high waists and wide legs.

Yep..I still think only a brown leather jacket..and then a black one of different style and possibly hide could work as my complete 'collection'. ..because I'm certainly not twoaphobic....lol
HD

I was like that a long time ago, then I found this place.... ;) What I have notice,d though, is that - much as I did with guitars - I've gone past a stage where I wanted "one of everything", and now I know what I like and what I don't, and I don't have the urge to have a "collection" as such, just a range of jackets I wear.

The beards and too small clothes, well, they look highly conformist to me, but that's just looks. It counts for very little, but then again thinking about is one way of passing one's idle hours.

I just don't get the commitment to a look that you know is bad. I mean, I live near Hoxton.... I've seen people with ironic mullets. Living with a rubbish haircut that you think is rubbish but therefore 'hilarious' is a bridge too far for me. It is very tribal, though, in a way I've not seen in any other newly emerged youth culture in a long time. In terms of visual uniformity, heaviy hipstered areas are very much like some of the Hassidic parts of town, where similarly you have a commonality of dress code. It'll be interesting to see what they age into. Most old punks and goths and the likes in the UK , if their look remains important to them, have aged into vintage, rockabilly, and so on. I wodner if there will be a hipster equivalent. They can't keep wearing girls' jeggings forever.

Man, you're OLD. :D A "fixie" is a bicycle with fixed gear. ;) Must-have for hipsters!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...categoryId=292517&langId=-1&articleId=1042739

I imagine the retro-cheap aspect is a big part of the appeal for the hipster crowd; from what I've seen, you can pick up a very serviceable fixie with all the correct, eighties-style accessories for just about GBP100, which isn't much these days. The simiplicity angle appeals to me, and (were I fool enough to think a strip of magic blue paint would save me from certain death on London roads) the lack of hills in my area would mean gears are less of an issue. Not sure I'd want to have to pedal all the time, though. I remember my brother got into cycling to work at one point and bought a bunch of cycling magazines. He made noises about maybe buying a fixie (this was about ten years ago). Back then, they had all sorts of cod-philosophy associated with them about being a "purer form of cycling" and such. [huh]

If hipsters really are "types with a penchant for looking down at the middle classes because they think their choices and innate good taste are superior. Of course, some of them are quite nice." Then they should fit in well here.

Touche! :lol:

Such a bad part of town where you live in? I traveled south-east Asia and India mostly with my Omega GMT strapped to my wrist and I never had the feeling anybody would be lusting after it, even when it represented an annual workers-income in some places. And you're by no means a whimpy guy, are you?
Most Rolexes on the steets are fakes anyway, no thief with a bit of self-respect would go through the uncertainty to steal a watch. Wallets are better -> fake-proof money inside. ;)

I think the more fake Rolxes around an area, the less likely you are to get mugged for one.... (TBH, though, I was never that excited by Rolexes anyhow.... Found them over-fussy, and acquanitances in the jewellery trade weren't all that impressed by them as timepieces. All to personal taste, though. Most watches much above GBP500 these days have too much going on for me. I like two hands to tell the time, a second hand as a way of telling at a glance that it's running, and preferably no date window, though sadly it's getting harder to find nice watches with no date window. Any more than one knob is a deal breaker.

I used to think (4 days ago) that it would be life with ONE leather jacket for me. Now I'm thinking of what my next selection will be. Oh brother...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have the luxury of living nearby the big Hipster mecca cities of the world. Ladies and gents, the phenomenon is very real and alive...fortunately they don't seem to be interested in our subculture. Patriotism is frowned upon, so no A-2s for them.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have the luxury of living nearby the big Hipster mecca cities of the world. Ladies and gents, the phenomenon is very real and alive...fortunately they don't seem to be interested in our subculture. Patriotism is frowned upon, so no A-2s for them.

haha well said. And because they are always barefoot, they don't wear engineer boots either!:D

IXL

One Too Many
True enough in most places... I don't walk in fear and can still scrap a bit. But I live in a Country where there are more guns than people so.... I'd rather not be starin' down the business end of anything because someone fancies my timepiece. Just sayin'.

Worf

Just as an aside, Oklahoma has more firearms per capita than any other state. "We luv us sum gunns....."

civilguy007

New in Town

Speaking of A-2's...

So, Its probably safe to say that most of us here are Leather Enthusiasts and as such are always looking for that perfect leather jacket...In this hunt, we have added several Leather jackets of different animal hides to our collection...But at times, I actually ENVY that one guy, who buys a single great Leather Jacket and makes it his everyday companion ! .... in rain or sunshine, that leather ages, collects memories and adds on Character as it lives through ALL moments with its owner.....Having collected multiple leather jackets myself, it is definitely a privilege to be able to choose among the different fabulous hides BUT sometimes I wish I could choose just that ONE jacket and just wear it all the time as opposed to making time for ALL the different ones.

Its like living with multiple Beautiful Wives but the experience of spending your life with that ONE special other half is something else :) I know its just leather jackets but I feel the analogy works well...lol..

I don't know...anyone of you gentlemen share the above thought or sentiment ?

This thread distracted my for a bit as I started hunting for watches that I never knew I needed (after all, I already have a relatively inexpensive solar watch that requires no battery, no winding, and no maintenance--for 18 years and counting). But I am back now and offer a few thoughts:

So I have had my Aero Highwayman for almost two weeks now. It smells heavenly! Each morning, I typically peruse my collection of jackets wondering which I should wear. Lately, how can I not grab the Highwayman, knowing I will get to draw a little closer to heaven with each breath?

If my love affair continues, I may need to sell off a few of my jackets. But I have never been known to make rash decisions. So for now, I will keep my closet filled with my B-3 (must have when it's below freezing), A-2 (nice back-up for Spring), G-1 (nice back-up for Fall), and my black G&B F-82 (must have when I go all black).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of A-2's...

So I have had my Aero Highwayman for almost two weeks now. It smells heavenly! Each morning, I typically peruse my collection of jackets wondering which I should wear. Lately, how can I not grab the Highwayman, knowing I will get to draw a little closer to heaven with each breath?

civilguy007, it is customary for TFL members with fantastic new jackets to post pictures for all to see, keeping in mind that someone else contemplating a similar purchase might benefit from your experience. ;)

civilguy007

New in Town

civilguy007, it is customary for TFL members with fantastic new jackets to post pictures for all to see, keeping in mind that someone else contemplating a similar purchase might benefit from your experience. ;)

I am well aware of the custom and I certainly intend to abide by it. However, taking selfies in the bathroom mirror under fluorescent lighting doesn't meet my quality standards. I'm waiting for a nice weekend to get some shots with natural sunlight. Last weekend's blizzard conditions in Chicago were not conducive to clear photos. I also think I need to wait until we are solidly back on subject.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am thoroughly confused! Are we talking about leather jackets, jeans, watches, motorcycles, hipsters, bicycles, guitars, TFL's custom and practice re posting photographs, or something entirely different?

The broad range of collectibles is fascinating. My father's generation collected stamps and coins. As a child, I collected baseball cards, "wacky packs" (anyone remember those?), and Pez dispensers. As a teenager, my OCD turned to drugs (I had several bongs). After sobering up, I ventured into the world of audio equipment -- both home audio and car audio. During college, I lived with a watch maker in Switzerland for six months (study abroad) and have been passionate about timepieces ever since. My OCD has continued to evolve throughout my adulthood, including with respect to cars (and modifications to cars), leather jackets and various other clothing items (e.g., flannels, t-shirts, denim, baseball caps, sneakers, etc).

I have friends who collect art, wine, cigars, LPs, motorcycles, cars, knives, guitars, DVDs, WWII artifacts, and even flashlights (there are active forums for flashlight enthusiasts). Interestingly, I don't know anyone who still collects stamps and/or coins.

civilguy007

New in Town
2015-02-05 14.07.38.jpg

Until I get better pics, I'll throw out this carrot to bring us back on subject.

A little history, I'm 5'-6", 200lb. That translates to short and wide. Typically, a "44 Short" sport coat. The sleeves of most of my jackets swallow my hands down to the finger tips. I had already decided that a Highwayman would suit me as I figured I could fill the "boxy" cut of the style. However, at this stage in my life, I can't justify the financial (and perhaps marital) hit of a special order jacket. I saw this used Highwayman with 23" sleeves on Aero's website. In two years of leather jacket hunting, I'd never seen sleeves my length. How could I pass it up? It will take me a few months to get this off my credit card.

civilguy007

New in Town
I have friends who collect art, wine, cigars, LPs, motorcycles, cars, knives, guitars, DVDs, WWII artifacts, and even flashlights (there are active forums for flashlight enthusiasts). Interestingly, I don't know anyone who still collects stamps and/or coins.

For those who do collect stamps and coins, please resist Superfluous' bait or start a new post.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 24036

Until I get better pics, I'll throw out this carrot to bring us back on subject.

A little history, I'm 5'-6", 200lb. That translates to short and wide. Typically, a "44 Short" sport coat. The sleeves of most of my jackets swallow my hands down to the finger tips. I had already decided that a Highwayman would suit me as I figured I could fill the "boxy" cut of the style. However, at this stage in my life, I can't justify the financial (and perhaps marital) hit of a special order jacket. I saw this used Highwayman with 23" sleeves on Aero's website. In two years of leather jacket hunting, I'd never seen sleeves my length. How could I pass it up? It will take me a few months to get this off my credit card.

Looks to be a very nice HWM, nice one. It'll get better and better the more you wear it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Me, I'm happy enough to live and let live

I'm the same. TBH most of the stuff that hipsters seem to love I think are hideous, especially the skinny strides with the saggy bum.

I actually had a young fellow working under me in a previous job who was an absolute hipster and was a fantastic bloke. He's actually become a very good friend. But good grief, the bloody trousers he insists on wearing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy