Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life with ONE great Leather Jacket vs. Life with MANY Leather Jackets

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
civilguy007 that is a great looking HWM and even warrants a new thread. OK to show your watch and stamp collection. True collectors rarely collect only one line of stuff. :D

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I'm the same. TBH most of the stuff that hipsters seem to love I think are hideous, especially the skinny strides with the saggy bum.

Oh, these pants are mandatory for being a hipster? Cruel. I thought it's only the beard and the "no-socks"-thingy, and the fixie, of course, but then I'm by no means an expert in hipsterology. :D
To get the thread-drift BOT, that's a great jacket, that HWM, and a worthy candidate for the one and only to share your life with until the end. But no stamps, please. :D

dan_t

Practically Family
I love this place. It's a bit like the twilight zone. You think you're discussing one thing & before you know it, you've been transported through some kind of surreal dream-like conversation that's touched on a whole heap of topics that you are interested in. Occasionally, it even goes back to the original topic.
It's a bit like seeing a Billy Connelly stand up show.

IXL

One Too Many
^^^^ So, do you guys like to outdoor-grill using natural lump charcoal, the pressed stuff, or propane maybe? I like to wear a couple of my really old leather jackets while grilling....makes 'em smell good.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
^^^^ So, do you guys like to outdoor-grill using natural lump charcoal, the pressed stuff, or propane maybe? I like to wear a couple of my really old leather jackets while grilling....makes 'em smell good.

Charcoal all the way, on my Weber kettle.

Never tried smoking a leather jacket with hickory chips but I bet it would make the grain "pop" :D

Thanks for defining the "Fixie" thing yesterday!
It made me very happy to learn a new term. I even had a whole conversation about Fixie Marathons with a 20 something...apparently it's a backlash against us "old" guys with our multi-geared mountain and road bikes :)
Thanks again for helping me "stay connected".
Cheers!

wquiles

Familiar Face
Well, if I am allowed to bring back the original question about leather jackets, I don't currently own a single leather jacket :eeek:

I do have incoming a budget A2, but I do in fact have too many jackets. In fact, that is my weakness - I love jackets. Thankfully there is ebay, and that is how I recycle the jackets I no longer use/want/need.

Currently have at least 4 Filson jackets (3x wool, 1x Tin Cloth), 2 Carharts, an original/vintage Navy Peacoat, 6 Filson Vests (3x Wool, 3x Moleskin), and at least 6-7 more generic sweaters/vests, etc.. And I live in the Dallas area - not that cold !!!

I am actually "afraid" if I ever develop a "need" for leather jackets ;)

Will

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is currently an article on ESPN MLB re bad contracts (e.g., a player who is paid far more than his performance warrants). The author observes that teams with bad contracts often feel compelled to pay the player to whom they are shelling out huge sums, even when there are better options on the roster (who are being paid considerably less money). Thus, the presence of a bad contract can reduce the playing time of a better player. By analogy, when one owns a hoard of leather jackets, the "best" of the group inevitably see less time on the field because the owner feels compelled to give some playing time to his lessor jackets. If one were to shed himself of his lessor jackets, and consolidate his collection to only a few pieces (or, as the thread topic suggests, only one jacket) -- the cream of the crop -- he could wear only his best without feeling obligated to play the lessor pieces.

tropicalbob

Nice analogy and I agree whole-heartedly, but if I win the lotto this week I'll be financing certain Scottish retirement programs into the distant future.

wquiles

Familiar Face
There is currently an article on ESPN MLB re bad contracts (e.g., a player who is paid far more than his performance warrants). The author observes that teams with bad contracts often feel compelled to pay the player to whom they are shelling out huge sums, even when there are better options on the roster (who are being paid considerably less money). Thus, the presence of a bad contract can reduce the playing time of a better player. By analogy, when one owns a hoard of leather jackets, the "best" of the group inevitably see less time on the field because the owner feels compelled to give some playing time to his lessor jackets. If one were to shed himself of his lessor jackets, and consolidate his collection to only a few pieces (or, as the thread topic suggests, only one jacket) -- the cream of the crop -- he could wear only his best without feeling obligated to play the lessor pieces.

That makes sense, and I do have a little bit of that problem, in that I use my cheaper, "lesser" Carhartt jackets and don't use my Filson jackets as much as I "should". But the Carhartt jackets are strong/durable, and easily replaceable - so depending on what I am doing, if I feel there is a good chance/risk I might really stain/damage my Filson jackets, I will wear the Carharts.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
wquiles, my recommendation: As the Carharts wear out, replace with MORE Filson. Like you, I also live in Dallas and have a number of Filson products but only one 24 oz Mackinaw vest (but FIVE moleskin vests). I just passed on a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser in my hard-to-find size 42 extra long since the weather here rarely warrants use of such a heavy coat (but still looking for a Cruiser). Living in the DFW area, you would find that leather jackets can be worn frequently here, especially from October through March, and sometimes April. ;)

Last edited:

wquiles

Familiar Face
Thanks man. I got an incoming budget A2 - maybe that will work for our not-too-cold weather here in Dallas :)

Will

Edward

Bartender
Nice analogy and I agree whole-heartedly, but if I win the lotto this week I'll be financing certain Scottish retirement programs into the distant future.

:lol: You and me both. I think I've gotten the list down to seven now, but then I'd be moving on to the B15s from ELC/Buzz, then a Lewis Lightening (1958 spec), and on....

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm all with ONE leather for life... OK maybe 3, but they have to be my own design, then I love them like my own skin.
I think with leather jacket it is easier to change the passion into how this brand new jacket would grow new character everyday, being surprised by some new creases, trying to guide new creases to form, etc. thus keep you passionately busy and not wanting a brand new one every time. I can easily see it as adopting a new pet, I can be part of a passionate pet owner forum, yet not wanting to add more and more pets into my household, I put the same mindset for my jacket.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

I've been known to caress my jacket, call it by endearing names, reassure it that it will be protected from this horrible world, and, well, we're very close.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
:lol: You and me both. I think I've gotten the list down to seven now, but then I'd be moving on to the B15s from ELC/Buzz, then a Lewis Lightening (1958 spec), and on....

There's got to be a full set of Himmels on that list somewhere too.

Taconic86

New in Town
Thank you Windstorm81 for starting this thread. It has inspired me to re-think my jacket obsession. Before reading this thread I was buying every leather jacket I liked and thought was a good deal and was essentially just ticking off boxes. Now I am seriously thinking of narrowing to a rotation of a select few (this is long overdue). Not to stray from the main topic, but this worked very well for me recently when I researched and purchased a watch that I can wear in basically every occasion. I plan on doing the same thing for my rotation of leather jackets as I find this feeling of a select few wholly more satisfying!

To answer the original idea... A man can not live by one leather jacket alone.

Now, to implement the outerwear plan of 2015...

Last edited:

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I have a beater cornflower blue vanson cafe racer i wear to and from work. Bought it used. Don't mind scarring or roughing it up. The russet vincenza sunburst I wear everywhere else. I have a black vincenza maxwell in the works that will split time with sunburst. I feel I have all bases covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters