Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lining for Aero Highwayman

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I am trying to decide on a lining for an Aero Highwayman. The heavy Alpaca wool is out, as I don't want the extreme warmth. I usually wear a t-shirt under a jacket in the winter time and I don't get cold easily.

This leaves the cotton, which is basically no lining at all as far as warmth is concerned, and the lighter weight wool.

The question is, how much warmth will the heavy FQHH provide by itself? I imagine the thickness of FQHH helps to keep you warm.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

IMO, leather all by itself doesn't offer that much warmth. I personally prefer a jacket with a light lining. I live near San Francisco and the winter temps range from the 60's down to the 30's. Most of the time I wear a leather jacket with a minimal lining. If I'm watching a ball game at night, and the temps are in the 40's or below, I have an oversided Aero I wear with a thick sweater.

If this is your first FQHH jacket, you should be aware that FQHH is a bit of an aquired taste. Out of the box it will be cardboard stiff. It will soften with use, but will retain a very masculine heft for the rest of its life. If you plan on wearing it while driving, you should consider getting a bi-swing back. That extra two inches will make all the difference in the world if you have to do a lot of reaching.

BTW, which color are you considering?

Paul-

Barry

Practically Family
The Highwayman with the alpaca lining is nice and warm in the winter here in DC. I also have a Cossack with the drill cloth and while I haven't worn it in the winter I have already worn it twice on cooler / rainy days without getting overheated.

Barry

kronos77

One of the Regulars
BTW, which color are you considering?

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely looking at the black FQHH. The brown looks nice but I've worn brown jackets for many years and it's time for a change.

If this is your first FQHH jacket, you should be aware that FQHH is a bit of an aquired taste. Out of the box it will be cardboard stiff. It will soften with use...

It is my first. I have actually been worrying a bit about this issue. Will it take forever to break in and how comfortable will it be when it does break in?

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
gimmesomeshelte said:
Hello-

If this is your first FQHH jacket, you should be aware that FQHH is a bit of an aquired taste. Out of the box it will be cardboard stiff. It will soften with use, but will retain a very masculine heft for the rest of its life. If you plan on wearing it while driving, you should consider getting a bi-swing back. That extra two inches will make all the difference in the world if you have to do a lot of reaching

Paul-

That is a piece of spot-on advice. FQHH is one tough hide. I recently got a long half belt from Aero with the Alpaca lining. Here in the UK we have a range of weather as you might know. I've worn it a couple of times so far in conditions which I would describe as 'cool'. From that experience I don't think that the Alpaca lining will make the jacket too hot for you unless it was worn on a warm day. North East USA ?? Washington - New York kind of areas ? You'll be comfortable in that jacket with an Alpaca lining from Fall through Winter and on into Spring. As for driving in mine - forget it !! for now at least. Maybe when it softens up a little, but in general I don't like wearing a coat of any kind in the car - thats what the heaters for ! LOL

Enjoy the jacket - whatever lining you finally choose

Regards
Colin

Terry Lennox

Suspended
I bought my first Aero 10+ years ago. It was a highwayman in brown, heavy horse, with alpaca. It actually wasn't that warm. Now I loved that jacket, I mean really loved that jacket, but it had many drawbacks.

It was heavy horse which after a year of use could still be stood up on it's own against a wall, Driving in it was awefull the whole jacket just raised up about 2" when I sat down, A bi-swing back would probably solve that. Also get it longer in the arms as when you drive it suddenly shrinks in the arms by 3".

It wasn't a jacket you could just put in the corner of the booth at a resturant, since it doesn't fold up like say a normal jacket. That heavy horse is very, very stiff. In fact, when I first got mine I couldn't zip it up as the horse was sooo stiff and heavy the zipper couldn't push it aside.

I'd recommend their mid-weight horse to buy a new jacket, or find a used already worn in Heavy Horse.

Just my 2cents.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
It was heavy horse which after a year of use could still be stood up on it's own against a wall, Driving in it was awefull the whole jacket just raised up about 2" when I sat down, A bi-swing back would probably solve that.

Funny thing...I have a cowhide cafe racer from Schott that after three years it can still stand up on its own, barely. Maybe that is just the thickness of the leather rather than the stiffness as the cowhide isn't that stiff to begin with. It also rode up on me when I tried to drive with it zipped up, even with the bi-swing back.

I am starting to have some doubts now....So after you break in a FQHH jacket, is it comfortable or does it always feel stiff and constricting? I was hoping after an initial breakin of 3-12 months, it would be as comfortable as cowhide.

I was told the mid weight horsehide was totally different and didn't develop much character even after years of wear.

Baggers

Practically Family
I got a black Cossack in the mid weight horse with a twill lining last year. Even though I haven't worn it that much, the hide has softened up a bit but is still quite stout. As for character development, it has started creasing here and there, but it's still pretty smooth.

And while the sleeves are long enough, the back rides up a bit when driving. Bottom line, while I like it, I'm still undecided. I found myself grabbing one of my other (brown) jackets unless I was feeling in a "black" mood. They just seemed a bit more comfortable for use in the car. It's still too warm here to wear any of my leathers, but maybe I'll be able to get some more use out of it this season.

Cheers!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Front quarter horse may not be the best leather to wear while driving a car, but you couldn't make a better choice for motorcycle riding. This is just my opinion, of course.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have an Aero Bootlegger built with vintage black FQHH and it is dynamite stuff, no problems. More of a matte finish and slightly lighter-weight than standard FQHH, but still quite heavy I like it, but again this is just my opinion.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Here is my brown FQHH. I chose the alpaca lining, which I do not find too warm from 60 degrees and less since I wear it open most of the time. I got this jacket on Christmas Day 2005 and it has broken in nicely. The initial bends come easily (like the elbows) but I accelerated my break-in period by bending my arms while driving and messaging the leather. It wears nicely and most people are stunned by how heavy it is vs. the how heavy it looks. Sorry about the crappy lighting.

Highwayman08282006.jpg

I did get the bi-swing back and I added a G-1 pocket on each side. Oh, and I got zip sleeves as well. You can see how it is already breaking in after only 3 months here. It wears like armor, and you feel invincible. This jacket will last WAY longer than I will, that is for sure...

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Rick, thanks for the pictures. The jacket is looking great and it seems as though it broke in fine for the time given.

You mentioned on the other forum that one of your jackets was a bit short at the waist. Is that the one in the pictures? What did you consider to be too short and what was just right? Where should the Highwayman come down to on the body?

rick5150

One of the Regulars
kronos77 said:
Rick, thanks for the pictures. The jacket is looking great and it seems as though it broke in fine for the time given.

You mentioned on the other forum that one of your jackets was a bit short at the waist. Is that the one in the pictures? What did you consider to be too short and what was just right? Where should the Highwayman come down to on the body?

This is the one I got on December 5th and it is too short for my liking. I think this is the only time I posted pictures of this jacket on my forum. Here are more from my archive ;)

Highwayman018-short.jpg

Highwayman019-short.jpg

The jacket would have been alright if it had gone straight across, but as you can see, it suffers from ride-up in the front. I had Aero add 1 1/2" to the front to compensate. I am not as stout as the jacket makes me look.
Highwayman020-short.jpg

As far as the right length - I cannot say if there is a "right length" but I prefer my jackets to be a little on the shorter side, because I hate sitting on them while driving or having them bunch up when you sit. I just took this picture a few minutes ago, so you can see how it really looks now. This is the length that I like best. For me 3-4" below the beltline, I guess...

Highwayman021.JPG

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the help.

One more important question. Is the Highwayman cut like a motorcycle jacket in the arms? In other words, is it cut so that the natural position is with the arms extended, the way many motorcycle jackets are?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy