Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liquid Eyeliner and other Makeup Conundrums

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I found a really great tutorial on queensofvintage.com. It teaches you how to do a perfect cat eye. I am a total klutz when it comes to doing cat eye make up but i watched this tutorial and with some practice, i no longer look like i have one droopy eye. I use some loreal one with a thin tip for just the day, then if i want something a little more dark and intense, i use mac fluidline. I really like the mac stuff. It's really easy to use and handle. For the longest time, i used Kiss Me eyeliner. They make a mascara too, that actually like "tubes" your eyelashes, i forever had running mascara no matter what, and it stopped with this. The mascara is great, it's a shame i can't say the same about the eyeliner though. I really like the fact it doesn't come off, but it was hard to use, the brush was too thick, then once it started getting old, it would smudge all over my eyelid. I tossed it because i just always looked like Hatchetface from Crybaby.

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
I tossed it because i just always looked like Hatchetface from Crybaby.

lol - what a great face she had!!

Hatchet-Face.jpg

okay, is it this tutorial? http://www.queensofvintage.com/video-tutorial-how-to-do-the-perfect-cat-eyeliner Because I suffer from Hatchetface syndrome as well.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Hello my fellow red-head. Well first off I am about as pale as it gets and I wear black liquid liner almost daily. The key is a pointy felt tip that is very thin and a very light touch, also plactice, lots of it. As for reds I have two that I love right now both are very bright and work well with the pale skin. I should warn you I enjoy playing up how pale I am so just keep that in mind. I have one red (I wear it most often) it is from Mary Kay called "Ruby Sky" it is bright think Dorthy's slippers. And the other is a Revlon color called "Love That Red" t is a very true red also think crimson bright crimson. There both are great. I hope that helps

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Miserable with my primer!

I was recently convinced to buy the Lorac Aqua Primer. This primer is for acne prone skin and is silicone, paraben, and a whole lot of other stuff free. But it is really runny and takes forever to dry. I thought it would work but It never mad my skin any smoother and never filled in what it claimed it would fill in. So have any of you ladies used a decent primer that wont make your face a living pepperoni pizza? I really need some primer I have a 10 hour day at school and can go sometimes for 4 hours without powdering my shiny nose.

Help help help!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Jezebel_Amazon said:
I was recently convinced to buy the Lorac Aqua Primer. This primer is for acne prone skin and is silicone, paraben, and a whole lot of other stuff free. But it is really runny and takes forever to dry. I thought it would work but It never mad my skin any smoother and never filled in what it claimed it would fill in. So have any of you ladies used a decent primer that wont make your face a living pepperoni pizza? I really need some primer I have a 10 hour day at school and can go sometimes for 4 hours without powdering my shiny nose.

Help help help!

I think smashbox makes an oil free photo finish primer. They're original makes me break out but the oil free doesn't.

...speaking of breaking out...
I uh...burnt my face with zit cream...and i need it to go away like...NOW, it hurts, and it's itchy...i've been putting cream on it but i don't know what else to do! my makeup flakes off of the gross spot and i can't handle looking at it anymore and i'm scared to touch it because i don't want my chin to break out anymore...sigh...i feel like such a mess! HELP ME LADIES!

Redhead

New in Town
When I'm in a similar situation, as soon as I get home from work I wash off all my makeup with Burt's Bees Bark and Chamomile face wash, put some neosporin on the spot, and cover it with a band-aid. I put a new band aid on before I go to bed, and this really helps with the flakiness and help with the pain. Hope this helps.

Chandra

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Jezebel_Amazon said:

Help help help!

Tarte has this great paraben free, oil free, primer that is just lovely. My sister is allergic to SO many different chemicals and we found that this one doesn't irritate her skin at all. I would recommend giving this a try :)

cecil

A-List Customer
*martini*time* said:
I think smashbox makes an oil free photo finish primer. They're original makes me break out but the oil free doesn't.

...speaking of breaking out...
I uh...burnt my face with zit cream...and i need it to go away like...NOW, it hurts, and it's itchy...i've been putting cream on it but i don't know what else to do! my makeup flakes off of the gross spot and i can't handle looking at it anymore and i'm scared to touch it because i don't want my chin to break out anymore...sigh...i feel like such a mess! HELP ME LADIES!

I have soooo done this before. When did you burn it? If it was more than two days ago, go and get something specifically for burns from the chemist. otherwise, LEAVE IT. Don't put cream on it like a moisturiser or anything, you're just irritating it. Don't wear makeup on it. Unfortunately all you can do is leave it alone. If it's the same as the ones I get occasionally when I get too excited with the Benzac, it should flake up properly in a day or so. Don't pick the flakes either. Seriously I know that's a big ask, but just try to not touch or look at it at all. You're just going to make it worse. Hang in there! I can empathise! You poor thing. :(

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
cecil said:
I have soooo done this before. When did you burn it? If it was more than two days ago, go and get something specifically for burns from the chemist. otherwise, LEAVE IT. Don't put cream on it like a moisturiser or anything, you're just irritating it. Don't wear makeup on it. Unfortunately all you can do is leave it alone. If it's the same as the ones I get occasionally when I get too excited with the Benzac, it should flake up properly in a day or so. Don't pick the flakes either. Seriously I know that's a big ask, but just try to not touch or look at it at all. You're just going to make it worse. Hang in there! I can empathise! You poor thing. :(

I exfoliated my face friday night, then saturday morning i woke up to just a couple of little blemishes on my chin that had already come to a head, well, i picked at them (gently of course) and they popped right away. I had a photo shoot that day so right after i picked at them, i put toner on the offending spots and then covered my face in 20 pounds of makeup. When i washed my face that night, i could feel more coming so thats when i decided to put the cream on. i woke up to go to my neices birthday the next morning (sunday) and was like "why is my face so itchy?!" and i looked and my WHOLE chin was red and flaky...

I wish i would have seen your post last night...it's started to flake now. Bad...so i exfoliated the spot and put a ton of lotion on...it looked okay last night like most of it was gone...but i woke up this morning with a red and itchy chin...i think it's time to get rid of this cream. i've having my pre-period breakout and i have a blemish RIGHT BETWEEN MY EYES! so i put the same cream on it last night and now my right eye is puffy...it wasn't even by my eye! Grr...stupid clinique zit cream...

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Easy Liquid eyeliner Substitute

If you can't get the hang of liquid liner but want the look, I can recommend Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner pencil as a substitute. It's an automatic pencil, but it's very dark and opaque and creamy going on, and it dries to a liquid-liner type finish. I'm nearsighted and wear contacts, so getting liquid liner on correctly is nearly impossible for me--the eyeball contortions required with liquid liner send my lenses sliding out of focus, whereas the pencil is the right length so I can see to do the cats' eye and is less irritating to my eyes. **. By accident (got the first one free with another product), I found the ColorStay is a good way to fake the look. I've tried the brown/black and the black, and both work very well. Revlon is a vintage brand (1932), so I'm fine with the compromise.

(**Edited for clarity, to add the last part of this sentence after the dash.)

KateSpenser

New in Town
I don't know about anyone else...but I love Maybelline Lineworks® Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Black. I have used this since high school band days. I got so good at putting eyeliner on, on the bus. So I don't have problems.
On my left eye (I am right-handed), I start in the middle of my eye (half-closed) and take it to the end. Then I go part of the way in and connect and then again to match the other eye.
(I hope that made sense)

Delia's Gone

New in Town
I find cake eyeliners much easier to use than liquid, and I like the flat, matte black I get from MAC Blacktrack Fluidline. You just have to be careful to put the lid on tightly, because they will dry out when exposed to air. I use the MAC 209 eyeliner brush to apply it, and clean it after EVERY use. The bristles of this brush are super firm and have a lot of springback, which I really need when doing precise lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24