Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LIST YOUR HAT BOOKS

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What books do you have in your collection pertaining to hats?

Mine are as follows (partial list):

The Panama Hat Trail, by Tom Miller

Hats for Every Head, by Ruth Garland-Dewson

Hat Life 2000

The Century of Hats, by Susie Hopkins

Mr. Locke of St. James Street, by Frank Whitbourn

Hat Life, 1983

Ninetenth Centruy Hat Maker's and Felter's Manuals, by Susanne Pufpaff

Men's Hats, by Giuliano Folledore

The Cowboy Hat Book, by William Reynolds & Rich Rand

Stetson Hats: 1865-1970 by Jeffrey B. Snyder

Panama, a Legendary Hat, by Martine Buehet

Hat talk, by Debbie Henderson (**GREAT**)

Ok, I contacted the author of Hat Talk and Handmade Felt Hat. I will soon have both of those in my collection.
Are there any others that are really essential to those interested in Felt Fedoras and how to date the styles and blocks---lots of pictures please. LOL LOL
Come to think of it, Andy, how is your book coming along? You know the one I wanted you to write with lots of pictures of your collection and your own inimatable style of writing. I think you could really put a nice manual together for the beginner. You certainly know enough and are familiar with the best of the past and present. When does the book come out? I will buy the first copy (signed by the author of course) :D ;)

Regards to all,

J

rayk

Familiar Face
Thanks for the references. I wouldn't have thought that there had been that many books written expressly about hats. I own The Panama Hat Trail, and must make my next purchase Hat Talk, of which I've heard nothing but good.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Indispensable

Film_Noir_Buff said:
Also, is there a book that covers (no pun intended) hat etiquette, the wearing of hats, the shaping etc?

I have an early '40's Emily Post that I consult often. It covers everything a gentleman of vintage bent might want to know, from fork selection and packing for trips, to the wearing of hats and other attire.

ScottFree

Suspended
Hi Andykev, you sure do have a fine collection of books. I am limited to one called hatless Jack.

How can one get a copy of these books as you have?

Cheers

Scott

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Books are everywhere.

Most of the books came off of Amazon, or thru the internet search. The one by Debbie Henderson, I wrote her directly. It is truly one of the best. The Stetson hat book is on Ebay all the time. Just type in "Hat Book" on any search engine, or on ebay, and you will be swamped. Good luck.

And the Ruth Dewson book, I got from her in person in SF. Hummmm, well, she wouldn't sign my book. I got it on Amazon, and took it over. Only sighs books from HER store. Ya. Right.

Oh, the "Hat Life" is a trade publication. They make it today, and it includes reprints from the old stuff.

Glad hatter had a great, wonderful perfect reprint made of a book about renovating, making, and sizing hats. One of the best I have ever seen. Art Fawcett bought one, so I read his briefly at a visit to the hat shop. I would love to get a copy.

Hope this helps.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can list tons of books from my library, so ask away if there is something you want a referral for.

Of interest to this thread and not listed yet:

3d50502622af926b5f145763338266bb.jpg

Title Bella Cosa: Men's Hats (Bella Cosa Library)
Author: Staff, Chronicle Books LLC Chronicle Books LLC Staff
Publication Chronicle Books (1995), Paperback, 143 pages
Publication date 1995
ISBN 0811810593 / 9780811810593
Dewey 391.43

Vintage Betty

jimmy the lid said:
Thanks for dusting off this thread, VB! Can you tell us a little something about Men's Hats?

Cheers,
JtL

It's my pleasure!

This book is a small paper bound book that can easily be found in used condition online at bookstores for $1.00 or a few bucks. I paid $6.50 for my copy from a used bookstore. The original price is $12.95 on the inside flap. There is no book cover.

The book measures 6.5" x 5.25", so it's a small paperback.

The book lists, chronologically, men's hats from 17th century (one image of a real hat) to the 1950's. Each page has one to two pictures of hats on it, from one angle. Each description is one-four lines long, includes a general description, perhaps etiquette, materials or source information. If the source of the hat is known, it is referenced below the small amount of text. What is particularly interesting, is that this book text is also in Italian, so both the English and Italian descriptions are next to each other.

Following the pages of hats by year or decade, is a small amount of photos of hat related information - photographs, hat tools and a quick introduction to the history of hats.

For photographs and tool info, the Fedora Lounge is much better than the couple photographs shown in this book.

But for a fun book for a few bucks, this is a cute book to add to your library as a source of reference material.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Here's another...contains men's and women's hats in a book of photographs. Should be considered an art book, though the pictures are cited for location and year when known. All photographs of people wearing hats around the world. Note this is a small hardbound book with dustcover. Should not be considered a book for source material of the making or wearing of hats, except for cultural or historical puposes.

0792265637.01._SX140_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Title National Geographic Moments: Hats (National Geographic Moments)
Author Val, Leah Bendavid Leah Bendavid Val
Publication National Geographic (2004), Hardcover, 160 pages
Publication date 2004
ISBN 0792265637 / 9780792265634
LC classification
Dewey 391.43

GWD

One Too Many
Re: Stetson Hats: 1865-1970 by Jeffrey B. Snyder

Is this book a history of the Stetson Company or is it a History of Stetson hats? I would be very interested in the details of their hats i.e. when they used certain sweatband materials and liner designs. I would like more information on which "Quality" designations they used during which periods.

I'm less interested in the actual company and it's various stages of "life".

Any information you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I recently received a copy of Omaggio Al Cappello: A tribute to the Hat, 1857-1957 that I purchased from an ebay seller in Australia. This is by far and away the most bizarre, yet beautiful book on hats that I expect to ever see.

The beauty:
It's a large book and is filled with beautiful illustrations, plates, and photographs. The very last page is a large fold out (it's 6 pages, so it folds out to poster size) photograph of everyone who was working at the Borsalino factory in 1950. The caption notes that the photographer had to climb the factory's smokestack to take the photo.

The bizarre:
The translation is just crazy. Apparently, the making of an English version of the book wasn't very important, as the translation seems to have been done by someone at the factory who knew a little more English than anyone else. I don't have the book next to me so that I can quote the captions, but they're not inaccurate, they're just strange - things like "man wears a hat, beast does not, but man is still a beast." Crazy. Many of the workers at the factory are also featured in the book. A large photograph showing the worker at his/her craft is on the page facing what I'll term a micro-statement that often reads something like: "I began work at the factory in 1927 as a finisher. My father was a finisher. I was here when the bombs came. People ran everywhere."

Though the book isn't very informative, it's a great piece of history and art. Plus, is was either kept in a tobacco shop or owned by a pipe smoker and smells wonderfully vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21