Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Bowler hats

Visconde

New in Town
Hi, I'm going to London next month for a quick visit and I'm wondering if it'd be possible to be able to purchase a bowler hat while I'm there.
This goes without saying but it should be a hat with reasonable quality since I'd never do for anything less. BUT I am a student and students live on student-budgets.

So it should be a hat that is cheap, but doesn't look like it is.
Does anybody here have the knowledge of a shop in the London area where I could find something like this?

With kind regards,

Visconde

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The best and i mean the best bowlers come from ebay and are vintage.

I've seen a few that are okay from modern makers yet they never get the edge the way they used to with the tight curl on the side.

One of those vintage bowlers
Bowler1-vi.jpg

Now if you simply must buy one from a company in the UK...

There is Lock Hatters, they invented the bowler

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/

Christy's ...you might find a Christy's version as they seem to be the ones i find most places

http://www.villagehatshop.com/christys_bowler.html

Herbert Johnson is a shadow of itself and they probably get their version from Christy's... though you may want to run downstairs and see what's in their hat section just for the heck of it.

http://www.herbert-johnson.co.uk/

Visconde

New in Town
Thank you for the quick replies. Ever since I saw "A Clockwork Orange" I wanted a bowler but if these are the prices, maybe I'll just look for one on ebay. I'll pay one of these shops a visit anyway and try some of these hats. I'll take a picture of it and later claim I have a real english bowler, just to impress my friends.

with kind regards,

Visconde

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They are pretty cool to have and with theirs it tends to be all about the lining. They were a little popular in the 20's and 30's and you see them a lot in drawing from the turn of the century... a little house cap to wear with your robe while smoking.

Visconde

New in Town
besdor said:

Very cool, as this is more the price I was thinking about (nowadays $40 converted to euro's: this hat is almost for free).

But since I live in Belgium, going to the states to get an English hat would be too crazy. I paid only €18 for my flight tickets (something like $100 for you americans).

Thanks anyway

With kind regards

Visconde

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Check vintage and antique shops. Not sure how it is in London, haven't been there yet, but at one shop in Leeds there were four bowlers, two grey toppers, and one collapsible top hat, all of varying sizes and all in quite good shape. Maybe not as cheap as you might find on eBay, but at least you can try it on.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Visconde said:
Thank you for the quick replies. Ever since I saw "A Clockwork Orange" I wanted a bowler but if these are the prices, maybe I'll just look for one on ebay. I'll pay one of these shops a visit anyway and try some of these hats. I'll take a picture of it and later claim I have a real english bowler, just to impress my friends.

with kind regards,

Visconde

If I remember correctly, there's a thread from not so long ago from someone who seemed to be very satisfied with his bowler purchase from Lock's. Have fun shopping!

Topper

Vendor
A Christys' "Devon" Bowler highly recommended, it has a "hunting pad" making it very comfortable inside. Or if on a Budget Christys' also do a standard fur felt or even wool felt.

I cannot mention if i retail them on this board... But I will mention I donate £5 to the Royal British Legion for every Bowler I sell.

carldelo

One Too Many
And no brim

Will said:
Velvet doesn't absorb smoke odors so the cap keeps your hair from smelling like a chimney.

And no brim to trap smoke - my old fedora (from when I smoked, i.e. in antiquity) has faint but noticeable tobacco staining on the underside of the brim in the front.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Topper said:
I cannot mention if i retail them on this board... But I will mention I donate £5 to the Royal British Legion for every Bowler I sell.
[bad]oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany