Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Long Oval" Question

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
The best way is to try on a LO hat and see if it fits you better than a RO. Other than that I think the best way is to go by the fit of regular oval hats. For instance:

Does a 7 1/2 fit perfect front to back but have too much of a gap on the sides?
Does a 7 3/8 fit snugger on your head, but is a little too tight in the front and the back, because your head distorts the shape it's blocked into?

If so you probably wear a 7 3/8 Long Oval.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I am pretty much an extra long oval.

If your hat is tight on your forehead and gaps on the sides (as mentioned above) you may be a long oval. Their is gapping on the side of hats for most hat wearers because that is how heads are made, though tight forehead and big gaps usually equals long oval.

I'm really a German oval (square forehead and long oval to the back).

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Conformer kit from a hatter

A Master hatter has a conformer. He will send it out to you and follow the directions and send the conformer back. Then you will all ways know your proper hat size.Fits like they should.

I was in Chicago last year and had it done at the Optimo Hats and i wasa 7 3/8 plus 1/16 lng oval.

I orderd a couple of dozen hats from Art Fawcett and he sent me a conformer kit and I was a 7 3/8 plus 1/16 long oval.

These conformers do work. :drum: :cool2: :drum: Two Master Hatters and same size! Oh! Roy Jackson sent me one after he made a pure beaver silver belly fedora for my friend RayK. Same size as above. :cool:

http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/prices.htm Roy jackson a fine Master Hatter.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great Advice

This is great, many thanks!
I have but one fedora. It's a "Lost Ark" model a college girlfriend bought for me at The Hattery in Akron, Ohio in 1982. They're no longer in business. It's black, RED lining, the crown is too short, brim too narrow, etc., especially given my size (6' 3"). It's tapered and shrunk a bit, and is getting more and more snug on me. My head measures 24 1/8". But given some thirteen years of wear, it's doing pretty well. Just reshaped it last week.
But I want to get something new and better quality, as my Fun Fund permits. Before I do, I'd rather know exactly what size to order. Looks like a 7 5/8, or 61. I don't know if Akubra will take note of "long oval" or not. Most western hats I've tried on are snug front and back and major gappy on the sides.
An Optimo is out of the question, and a Fortune and Glory is a stretch... two kids in school!
"Honey, look at this HAT! And only 250 smackers!"
"It's lovely darling, it will keep you warm wherever you decide to live from now on..."

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
This is great, many thanks!
I have but one fedora. It's a "Lost Ark" model a college girlfriend bought for me at The Hattery in Akron, Ohio in 1982. They're no longer in business. It's black, RED lining, the crown is too short, brim too narrow, etc., especially given my size (6' 3"). It's tapered and shrunk a bit, and is getting more and more snug on me. My head measures 24 1/8". But given some thirteen years of wear, it's doing pretty well. Just reshaped it last week.
But I want to get something new and better quality, as my Fun Fund permits. Before I do, I'd rather know exactly what size to order. Looks like a 7 5/8, or 61. I don't know if Akubra will take note of "long oval" or not. Most western hats I've tried on are snug front and back and major gappy on the sides.
An Optimo is out of the question, and a Fortune and Glory is a stretch... two kids in school!
"Honey, look at this HAT! And only 250 smackers!"
"It's lovely darling, it will keep you warm wherever you decide to live from now on..."

How about $125.00 long oval perfect fit. Custom made and only $125.00.

Art Fawcett our Master Hatter can build it for you. :) Did I do good ??

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm

Michaelson

One Too Many
SHARPETOYS said:
I orderd a couple of dozen hats from Art Fawcett and he sent me a conformer kit and I was a 7 3/8 plus 1/16 long oval.

http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/prices.htm Roy jackson a fine Master Hatter.

Hummm.Wonder why Art didn't send one to me when me made my hat last year? Durn. Bet I'd have had a better fit! I guess one hat order compared to a couple dozen is the reason. Do you suppose? ;) I'm a long oval and a bit, but durned if I know how much over.....Regards. Michaelson

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Hw will take care of you.

Michaelson said:
Hummm.Wonder why Art didn't send one to me when me made my hat last year? Durn. Bet I'd have had a better fit! I'm a long oval and a bit, but durned if I know how much over.....Regards. Michaelson

I asked him to send it to me with some felt samples. Since you have been a hat wearer a long time I guess he thought you knew your hat size.

Sharpey

The Conformateur that Art fitted me with was really quite the contraption. all those "finger things" gripping your head from all sides. They do make a difference in the fit though sending out the full thing instead of the portable one is out of the question because they are few and far between not to mention costly. ;) It is interesting to check out the shape it maps of your head. I am definitely an extra long oval. Translated---watermelon. :p

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, I guess I'll get fitted correctly someday, as I had never heard of a conformer before last year, and then only when it was available AT a hat establishment. I didn't know one could be mailed until recently, so live and learn. I love the hat Art did make for me, but as it has aged, and the band slightly shrunk, the fact it is not true to my long oval shaped head is causing the brim to distort now, and it's a bit tight to wear. I can put in my stretcher to keep it wearable, but nothing can be done to correct the distortion. I don't wear it much now due to the discomfort and shape now. I still love the thing, though. :( One of the classiest hats I own, and voted best looking by the ladies of the house when it arrived. That's saying something!
So...take this as a lesson folks. If you can, get your head measured with the proper devices before having a custom hat made. Regards. Michaelson

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
How did I miss this????

Thanks!
I had settled on an Akubra Federation Deluxe. We shall see....

The Fed Deluxe is a nice hat for the price youu want to pay. If my memory serves me correctly though, Akubra doesn't offer a long oval so if you order one, you'll have to send it off to be reworked. I have a long oval noggin myself and I had to do this very thing with a Peters Bros fedora. I have our own Matt Deckard to thank for advising me to have this done. My lids fit me so much better now. Having your head fitted with a comformature is still the best way to get the right fit though.
PBG

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
SHARPETOYS said:
They are just the cone aka hat body. Look at any felt hat and thats how they start out till the hatter does his Magic.

Sharpey :cheers1:

Of course. I was being a wiseacre...

Didn't I catch a screen at VS announcing retirement?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Full time Master

scotrace said:
Of course. I was being a wiseacre...

Didn't I catch a screen at VS announcing retirement?

Only from most stone work so he can become a full time Master Hatter. Now thats good for us.

He has new hat bodys in from his { Private felter} Inside joke! He says will knock your socks off. He said they will :kick: Butt

The Insider!!
Sharpey

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
He has plastic ones he can mail out.

jamespowers said:
The Conformateur that Art fitted me with was really quite the contraption. all those "finger things" gripping your head from all sides. They do make a difference in the fit though sending out the full thing instead of the portable one is out of the question because they are few and far between not to mention costly. ;) It is interesting to check out the shape it maps of your head. I am definitely an extra long oval. Translated---watermelon. :p

Regards to all,

J

He sent me one made out of plastic and so did Jaxonbilt hats. When i was in Chicago at Optimo I got the Antique Conformateur one put on my head.

All three still said 7 3/8 plus 1/16 long oval. Most factory hats are not long oval. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24