Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Long Oval" Question

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Pictures please

jamespowers said:
Hmm... I have not seen the plastic ones work. I suppose I am lucky enought to be within reasonable driving distance. :p

Regards to all,

J

Have Art take a picture so you can show the Loungers please. You are up late.

Roger

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
SHARPETOYS said:
How about $125.00 long oval perfect fit. Custom made and only $125.00.

Art Fawcett our Master Hatter can build it for you. :)

I've been reading these forums for a few months, and I've seen the amazing quality of work Art does. In another thread is the Panama with the blue-ish ribbon that just knocks my socks off. I hadn't considered such a hat until I saw those two pictures. Then I looked up pricing and... well. A felt fedora is a good start.
Where can I see photos of Art's finished fedoras? And Art, I know you read these messages - my sincere compliments. You are living your dream, and I have boundless respect for that and for your work.
I want to write about the experience for my blog, whatever I end up getting.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Its all fixable.

Michaelson said:
Well, I guess I'll get fitted correctly someday, as I had never heard of a conformer before last year, and then only when it was available AT a hat establishment. I didn't know one could be mailed until recently, so live and learn. I love the hat Art did make for me, but as it has aged, and the band slightly shrunk, the fact it is not true to my long oval shaped head is causing the brim to distort now, and it's a bit tight to wear. I can put in my stretcher to keep it wearable, but nothing can be done to correct the distortion. I don't wear it much now due to the discomfort and shape now. I still love the thing, though. :( One of the classiest hats I own, and voted best looking by the ladies of the house when it arrived. That's saying something!
So...take this as a lesson folks. If you can, get your head measured with the proper devices before having a custom hat made. Regards. Michaelson

I don't know how long a hatter is supposed to Guarantee a hat for ?

I'm sure Mr. Fawcett will fix you right up. Ask him to send you the conformer!!

Send him a email and I'd bet you my left .N. He will take care of you. He told me once I may own the hat but when he makes the hat he thinks of them like they are his children.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Art is a good man, no doubt about it, and I hope my posts have not lead any readers to believe I think otherwise. I made two attempts to reach Art through his Vintage Sil. email address several months ago about this, but apparently they fell through the cracks as it was during the time of his family emergency and subsequent loss of a family member (as I recall), so I just took that to be the reason that this occurred. I just put the hat up on the top shelf, and haven't thought anymore about it, as I don't feel right approaching him this long after this has occurred. I still don't, though I appreciate what you say he said, Sharptoys, it would require either a complete rebuild of the hat, or another hat, and it took him a while to make this one for me.

SO, I'll know better next time that there is something called a 'conformer' that can be sent that would assure a correct and proper head sizing BEFORE I order another hat from him, and I appreciate you telling me that such a thing does exist through Art. I had no idea. You're absolutely right...I've worn hats for decades, but that said, like so many others, have not been that long in the owning and wearing of custom made hats....and like others have THOUGHT I knew what my head size was, as I was accepting what came off the shelf. How was I to know? There are no custom stores in my area, and until I came across Peter's Bros., really didn't know this art form was still available. It's been a really interesting trip learning this, and here I have yet another piece of the puzzle.

Thanks to all for your indulgence with my 'problem'.

Regards. Michaelson

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gentlemen, I just returned tonight from yet another trip up north and am reading this thread for the first time.
Scotrace, thank you for the compliments. I will post a link to the hats on my site so that you can see the different styles as soon as time allows.
Michaelson, I had no idea there was a problem. Please contact me again as I never received an email from you about this or any other concern. Just so you know, I wasn't aware of the plastic conformers either at the time you ordered your hat. I have since bought 2 and both have broken on me, so I have to try another.
Sharpey, thanks for the faith, it's well placed.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Art, I will send you a PM directly, as I've had no luck at all with emails to you, except when to answer back to one sent by you to me in the past. To be clear as well, I've never NOT had confidence in you or your product, and have told you that many times. I've even asked several times for business cards to hand out, as I've had more compliments on your hat (when I've wore it) and requests for information than any I've worn to date, but have not received the cards to date. That request still stands, but I'm sure with the relocation, you'll want the correct address and information to be refected on the cards, so I understand the delay at this time.

I hope you understand my position, though. Sharpie has order a multitude of hats from you. I have only ordered one. He represents a large investment of time and incoming capital for your better line of felt. I have not. I could only afford to purchase the lowest end of your felt line, but you still created a fine hat for me, with the exception of the sizing problem. I have attempted to contact you regarding that problem, and no replies. Sharpie seems to be able to reach you at will. I'm left with only those facts to draw from my conclusions as to how I was to proceed, which was to just put the hat up and learn from the mistake I had apparently made.

We'll see how we can proceed from here then. Thank you for replying to this post.

Regards. Michaelson

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Art Fawcett said:
Scotrace, thank you for the compliments. I will post a link to the hats on my site so that you can see the different styles as soon as time allows.

That would be great, Art, thanks very much. I know this is a swamped time for you.

Scott

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
thanks for the PM Michaelson. As I said in the message, please just send it to me and it will be taken care of. It's funny, but I really DO feel like my hats as well as my Masonry jobs are in other peoples homes, but they are always "mine". I give every hat my best and stand behind them sometimes beyond reason ( not in this case, please don't take that negativiely). I tend to learn more from my mistakes and from problems than I do from unfettered sucesses so this goes toward the learning curve.

Scotrace, here is the link to activate the site for the hats. Most are vintage with a few customs mixed in but the only hats I cant reproduce on the Fedora side are the ones with Cavanaugh edges. Most have been renovated. Please know that these pages are not up to date so whether or not they are available for sale is hit or miss.
VS hats

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Good

:clap
Art Fawcett said:
thanks for the PM Michaelson. As I said in the message, please just send it to me and it will be taken care of. It's funny, but I really DO feel like my hats as well as my Masonry jobs are in other peoples homes, but they are always "mine". I give every hat my best and stand behind them sometimes beyond reason ( not in this case, please don't take that negativiely). I tend to learn more from my mistakes and from problems than I do from unfettered sucesses so this goes toward the learning curve.

Scotrace, here is the link to activate the site for the hats. Most are vintage with a few customs mixed in but the only hats I cant reproduce on the Fedora side are the ones with Cavanaugh edges. Most have been renovated. Please know that these pages are not up to date so whether or not they are available for sale is hit or miss.
VS hats

Art,
Not only are you a Master Hatter. You are a good or Godly man.Mostly both.
I have respect for customer service like this!!

Michaelson

One Too Many
He's a nice feller too. :) He has to be, dealing with crazies like me. I can hear him now..."Ok, Michaelson, hand me the hat and back slowly away....." :mad: ;) Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Just to update, the hat has returned, and is better now than it was when received brand new! Art is a master craftsman!! High regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Shoot James, my eldest daughter STILL has the camera. Someday I'm going to surprise you all and post a photo! (grins) Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24