Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a new aftershave...

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Hi there! I'm looking for a new aftershave. I've tried several kinds, mostly from the Pinaud line, and they all seem to make my skin break out.
I'm looking for something to tone my skin and give a bit of moisture afterwards, as my skin tends to dry out a bit after shaving (especially around my cheeks and just beside my lips). I've got very particular and sensitive skin, so... it's a pain finding one that smells great and does the trick!
I prefer something affordable/reasonably priced... any recommendations?

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
If you like bay rum, try C.O. Bigelow After Shave Balm (Bay Rum). You can pick it up from a Bath and Bodyworks store (if you have one nearby) or get it here.
I use mostly stuff from the Pinaud line as well but have not had the breakout issues you mention. Maybe it is the alcohol in the Pinaud drying out your skin? Not sure but the C.O. Bigelow stuff doesn't seem to contain alcohol (at least it doesn't sting when I use it after a shave!).

D

DeaconKC

My neck is very sensitive, I like two really good ones, Gillette Soothing Balm and Aqua Velva Musk. Both feel very good on my skin.

GWD

One Too Many
Have you ever tried Witch hazel just after you shave? Wait a few minutes then apply aftershave. I've had great results.

Just a suggestion.

Rider

Familiar Face
Now that my Dad and grandfather are gone, I take some comfort in wearing their scents. Pinaud Bay Rum for my grandfather and Aqua Velva for my Dad.

My wife thinks they reek. I take pleasure in them nontheless.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
MrFusion said:
Pinaud Bay Rum - I love that after shave. One of my favorites! :)

I think I am going to give it a try. Are you getting it online?? I think I used to see it in drugstores-but it's been awhile.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Pinaud Bay Rum

I have always been able to find the Pinaud Bay Rum at Walgreens. It seems to me that the Pinaud Bay Rum is more "cinnamon-y" than the Dominica Bay rum.

Cheers,

Scott

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I have been getting it online. Lately I have only been able to find the Pinaud Clubman aftershave in the stores. I use Clubman (my wife really likes that one ;) ) but I also like a few of the other Pinauds out there, so it's online shopping I go.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
skbellis said:
I have always been able to find the Pinaud Bay Rum at Walgreens. It seems to me that the Pinaud Bay Rum is more "cinnamon-y" than the Dominica Bay rum.

Cheers,

Scott

I've had no luck finding it at Walgreens - I'll look again but it might be a regional thing. [huh]
I have found that every version of Bay Rum I have tried is a bit different. The key I have found for any aftershave/cologne is to not decide if you like it with a sniff from the bottle. Put some on and wait a few minutes, then decide.
The only problem with the Bay Rums I have tried so far is that they fade too quickly IMO. But boy do they smell good until they fade. :)

The other nice thing about the Pinaud is the price. Usually under 7-8 bucks for 12 oz. If you decide you don't like it, (send it to me ;) ) your not out a lot of money unlike some of the others (Dominica Bay rum cost almost twice the price for 10 oz). But, of course, it all comes down to what you like the best. I have yet to try the Dominica Bay rum but it's on my buy list.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
MrFusion said:
I've had no luck finding it at Walgreens - I'll look again but it might be a regional thing. [huh]
I have found that every version of Bay Rum I have tried is a bit different. The key I have found for any aftershave/cologne is to not decide if you like it with a sniff from the bottle. Put some on and wait a few minutes, then decide.
The only problem with the Bay Rums I have tried so far is that they fade too quickly IMO. But boy do they smell good until they fade. :)

Thanks for the advice guys... I will try to find some at Walgreens. I will have to look and see what my barber uses... last time I was in for a trim.. he splashed something on me after the outline shave.. it lasted for a couple of hours it seemed, wished I had payed attention to what it was.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Just got thru checkin out the Ogallala Bay rum site Freebird posted a link to, lots of cool shaving products and soaps. I have been hearing quite a bit of buzz on these products on Badger and Blade, anyone else here using them?? thoughts??

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
brylcreem boy said:
Just got thru checkin out the Ogallala Bay rum site Freebird posted a link to, lots of cool shaving products and soaps. I have been hearing quite a bit of buzz on these products on Badger and Blade, anyone else here using them?? thoughts??

I just got an order from them. Great service, first of all! I got complimented yesterday for my cologne (Ogallala Bay Rum) and my wife can't get enough of the Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn shaving soap (we both love the fragrance). I got the shaving soap sampler and that is the first one I tried.
So far I have been very impressed.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
MrFusion said:
I just got an order from them. Great service, first of all! I got complimented yesterday for my cologne (Ogallala Bay Rum) and my wife can't get enough of the Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn shaving soap (we both love the fragrance). I got the shaving soap sampler and that is the first one I tried.
So far I have been very impressed.

Yeah that shaving soap sounds like it has a very cool fragrance, that was 1st thing that caught my eye. I noticed they have samples for the cologne, I think I'm gonna give em a try. lemme know what you think of the rest of the products as you use them if you don't mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda