Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for info in Avirex G-2

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hey folks,
I've done a bit of research about Avirex, and I ran across some contradicting stories regarding their G-2 jackets.

Avirex G-2 jacket.jpg

I believe Avirex is the original manufactorer of this design in the 1980s (MacGyver wore a similar jacket in the show). I've read that it was supposed to substitute the Navy's G-1, but then somehow it didn't go through.
Anyone cares to shed some light on this?

Here is the jackets' tag, for what is worth:
Avirex G-2 tag.jpg

Last edited:

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I also noted that the name G-2 was used outside Avirex as well.
Here is an example from Sporty's:

Sporty's.jpg

I have no idea what "A.C.R. CONTRACT" means, or even if these tags were designed to look military just to appeal to the crowd, with no actual meaning to those numbers at all.

I also wonder if G-2 was a somewhat official name.
I heard the design being called "Raider" in recent years.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I heard the pattern was created by Neil Cooper of Cooper Sportswear. McGyver wore a Charles Chevignon version - they were a huge maker of fake leather flight gear. It is a fake military jacket that many people thought was real before the Internet provided ready access to such information.

The pattern is very much a civilian bomber jacket (perhaps a 1950's feel) with decorative piping.

Kevin Costner wore one in Field Of Dreams.

I remember these jackets well. They were often distressed to look old, usually made of soft lambskin (some were goat and some were cow) and were worn after the Indiana Jones jacket created a mania for worn leather flight jackets and not everyone wanted an A2 with epauletes.

I quite like the pattern (had one) and would buy one again in goat if a good one came up. Unfortunately they are usually cut 1980's baggy. Gibson and Barnes used to make the best one.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Gibson & Barnes made that style as well and they named their version the "Raider". I bought one from their San Diego showroom afew years ago; a great jacket design, and excellent workmanship by G&B.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Thanks folks. Having never hadled one, do the corded piping actually outline the pocket (providing some kind of function), or are they purely aestethical?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24