Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for reenactor group, KS

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
I find I'm moving out to the Ft. Riley/Kansas City, KS area and am wanting to get hooked up with a "flyboy" reenacting group.

I'm hardcore Navy/Marine pilot reenactor but really want to get hooked up with a group of likeminded WWII/1940s aviation enthusiasts/reenactors.

I realize most, if not all, of the groups are USAAF but that's great. I can fill the billet of a USN Liason or something!

Any vectors on where to fly will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's being given a heading.

Marc Chevalier said:
"Vectors"?

A vector is a "heading", or a course taken in piloting a plane. Air traffic control will give a pilot vectors to intercept an ILS (Instrument Landing System) approach, or a vector to avoid oncoming or conflicting air traffic. You can ask the controller for "vectors" out of bad weather, or if you fly into an unfamiliar area. Also, "vector" diagrams are the dimensional math plots displaying information.

An instrument approach or instrument approach procedure (IAP) is a type of air navigation that allows pilots to land an aircraft in weather restricting visibility (known as instrument meteorological conditions or IMC), or to reach visual conditions permitting a normal landing.

Approaches are classified as either precision or nonprecision, depending on the accuracy and capabilities of the navigational aids (navaids) used. Precision approaches utilize both lateral (course) and vertical (glideslope) information. Nonprecision approaches provide course information only.

Pilots refer to charts known as terminal procedures or approach plates during an approach, both precision and nonprecision. These depict the navaid's approach path and radio frequencies used in addition to landmarks, airspace, and other relevant data.
Basic principles

Instrument approaches are generally designed such that a pilot of an aircraft in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC), by the means of radio, GPS or INS navigation with no assistance from air traffic control, can navigate to the airport, hold in the vicinity of the airport if required, then fly to a position from where he or she can obtain sufficient visual reference of the runway for a safe landing to be made. The whole of the approach is defined and published in this way so that aircraft can land if they suffer from radio failure; it also allows instrument approaches to be made procedurally at airports where air traffic control does not use radar or in the case of radar failure.

Instrument approaches generally involve five phases of flight:

* Arrival: where the pilot navigates to the Initial Approach Fix (IAF: a navaid or reporting point), and where holding can take place.
* Initial Approach: the phase of flight after the IAF, where the pilot commences the navigation of the aircraft to the Final Approach Fix (FAF), a position aligned with the runway, from where a safe controlled descent back towards the airport can be initiated.
* Intermediate Approach: an additional phase in more complex approaches that may be required to navigate to the FAF.
* Final Approach: between 4 and 12 nms of straight flight descending at a set rate (usually an angle of between 2.5 and 6 degrees).
* Missed Approach: an optional phase; should the required visual reference for landing not have been obtained at the end of the final approach, this allows the pilot to climb the aircraft to a safe level and navigate to a position to hold for weather improvement or from where another approach can be commenced.

When aircraft are under radar control, air traffic controllers may replace some or all of these phases of the approach with radar vectors (the provision of headings on which the controller expects the pilot to navigate his aircraft) to the final approach, to allow traffic levels to be increased over those of which a fully procedural approach is capable. It is very common for air traffic controllers to vector aircraft to the final approach aid, e.g. the ILS, which is then used for the final approach."

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Our group is in the Chicago area, but maybe we'll see you if you go to any of the airshows in the Midwest. Our group does all aviation related impressions- Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, AAF, RAF, and RCAF. Recently the guys did a film shoot for the History Channel about the battle of Midway.

midway1.jpg

f4f_mikejosh112.jpg

D-Day-Doll said:
Our group is in the Chicago area, but maybe we'll see you if you go to any of the airshows in the Midwest. Our group does all aviation related impressions- Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, AAF, RAF, and RCAF. Recently the guys did a film shoot for the History Channel about the battle of Midway.

Very cool. I think I saw that episode. Well done. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
D-Day-Doll said:

midway1.jpg

f4f_mikejosh112.jpg

The guys in the photos are wearing the MK1 Mae West. They look like repros. Any way to find out where those two got their MK1s?

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
The slightly darker one in both pictures is an original. The brighter yellow one (worn by our friend who is leaning against the wing) is a repro made by a guy in our unit who is a whiz at sewing. He made about half a dozen of them to outfit the unit for the filming. I think they were actually made out of raincoats. The hard part was finding an adhesive that worked on the fabric since the originals are not stitched along the edges.

Here's the original next to 2 repros...
midway2.jpg

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
MK1 Mae West

WPG has some in production but Jerry says it'll be the end of the year before he get them to sell.

I saw an original on Ebay go for $600.00+. You don't see them too oftem but when you do they cost apretty penny.

Hope WPG will hurry and get theirs. With folks willing to pay 600+, that makes me think there's a market for a repro.

sbd234

New in Town
Hello Priestboy!

Jeff,
I knew you were moving, but I guess not this quick. Sorry we did not get together before you left. How's the new duty station and Kansas? How is the pilot impression coming along? Reading was good this year. Maybe you can get up there next year. I have been hanging around the VF-11 group up there. They do a South Pacific area. Keep in touch.

Charles