Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

los angeles craigslist > SF valley > for sale > antiques Stetson stratoliner - $50

buler

I'll Lock Up
Nobody here got this hat? I'm guessing at lease some people must have contacted the seller. So here is the explanation as to why I asked.

I saw this ad the day it was posted on craigs. I contacted the seller and made a deal with him. Sent him a money order on the 27th. This thread was created on the 29th which more than likely resulted in one or more people contacting the guy about the hat. While I can only speculate, I'm guessing he sold the hat to someone locally. I, of course, never received the hat in the mail. Still working on getting him to refund my downpayment.

I'm aware of the risk I"m taking when I deal with craigslist people and I accept that risk. The lounge now allows the posting of live auctions, craigslist ads, etc. where in the past this was not allowed. I and many others here wish this was not the case and this is just one example of where you can hurt a fellow lounger when you think your helping. Just food for thought.

B

W4ASZ

Practically Family
:eeek::eusa_clap:)
Nobody here got this hat? I'm guessing at lease some people must have contacted the seller. So here is the explanation as to why I asked.

I saw this ad the day it was posted on craigs. I contacted the seller and made a deal with him. Sent him a money order on the 27th. This thread was created on the 29th which more than likely resulted in one or more people contacting the guy about the hat. While I can only speculate, I'm guessing he sold the hat to someone locally. I, of course, never received the hat in the mail. Still working on getting him to refund my downpayment.

I'm aware of the risk I"m taking when I deal with craigslist people and I accept that risk. The lounge now allows the posting of live auctions, craigslist ads, etc. where in the past this was not allowed. I and many others here wish this was not the case and this is just one example of where you can hurt a fellow lounger when you think your helping. Just food for thought.

B

It was the philosopher Norm Crosby who stated , "I feel very strongly both ways." Das Bay is not a perfect system, but one can operate with a high degree of confidence when shopping there. It can and does fall off sharply when you go elsewhere, the stellar exception being purchases from individuals on the Lounge. (Ah, what a delight ! )

For now, caveat emptor. The issue of whether and how much the market is skewed, or skewered, by allowing posting of ongoing auctions is open to friendly debate.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Wow, buler, what a bummer. I'll keep the faith and hope the seller just went on vacation or something. I always hold out hope for human decency, although I am often wrong. Keep us posted.

ps. I clicked on the link to view the hat in question, but no luck.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Why on earth did you mail money to an anonymous person on craigslist from another state? Craigslist is meant to be local for a reason.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Why on earth did you mail money to an anonymous person on craigslist from another state? Craigslist is meant to be local for a reason.

I said that I understand the risk and accept it. I wasn't looking to debate whether dealing out of state with craigslist is risky. It is. Understood.

What I'd like to know is if anyone here contacted this person and what response did they get. Did anyone actually buy the hat locally? If so, I'd love to see pictures of it just because of the rare markings. And if someone here got it then its more proof (in my mind at least) that posting live deals is not a good thing.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot