Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds owners leather question

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like that. Seagal, Van Damme and early Carl Weathers kinda stuff. It's funny how Schwarzenegger was there as well and then Conan and Predator happened. Predator should've been no better than any Hard Target or Missing in Action and yet it somehow pretty much laid the foundation for... everything ever.

Predator had a special magic going on and was an actually well choreographed and directed. A step above the above mentioned. And I was a huge Norris fan from his "Octagon" "A force of One" "Silent Rage" "Lone Wolf McQuade" days. Great memories

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Like that. Seagal, Van Damme and early Carl Weathers kinda stuff. It's funny how Schwarzenegger was there as well and then Conan and Predator happened. Predator should've been no better than any Hard Target or Missing in Action and yet it somehow pretty much laid the foundation for... everything ever.

Predator was after Terminator though, wasn't it? If you want to lay the foundation for Schwarzeneggers movie career as late as the mid 80s, I'd rather think of Terminator than Predator.

sweetfights

Oh for sure! Terminator, was raw, made on a low budget, and a fantastic genre noir film. Had a great feel- launched Arnold's film career outside of niche muscle films like the Conan series.

Predator was after Terminator though, wasn't it? If you want to lay the foundation for Schwarzeneggers movie career as late as the mid 80s, I'd rather think of Terminator than Predator.

Oh, right! I forgot. Two years after the Terminator. I agree but I just mentioned Predator because Arnie had a bit more to do in it and it was equally groundbreaking and relevant.

Also, one of my favorite movie trivia fact is that Jean Claude Van Damme was suppose be the Predator, the creature, but supposedly he was a prick on the set and even kicked another actor or something like that...

content_predator-jean-claude-van-damme-red-suit-invisibility-cloak.jpg

Edward

Bartender

Eh, Predator I never did care for. All it ever achieved in my opinion was to drag down the Alien series with a weak crossover! Watchable enough, but.... meh. I remember being so disappointed by how bad the Predator looked when it took off the helmet at the papier mache was obvious! :p

Much better film.... the original, the third one (lovely playing around with and subverting the previous film's ideas that fate was never set); I even liked the fourth one. T2 I liked at the time, though to be honest I think it dated badly, and rewatching it now I just get angry at Arnie for not ensuring that insipid, annoying kid doesn't get shredded by the T1000.

I vote we impeach @Edward. :p

Ineverdonenothini'maninnocentman. As we used to say in the Old Country. ;)

Also, one of my favorite movie trivia fact is that Jean Claude Van Damme was suppose be the Predator, the creature, but supposedly he was a prick on the set and even kicked another actor or something like that...

Big props to any director who doesn't tolerate poor behaviour from any performer! I remember an event once with Danny Boyle, a Q&A screening of his 28 Days Later. He told us about how the guy originally supposed to play the rage victim soldier the military guys keep hold of to see how long a victim can live was fired by him (even at the expense of reshooting some scenes) because when Boyle arrived on set one morning, this guy was cursing out the makeup girl for no reason, acting like he was all That and generally being an ass. Boyle refused to have any of his crew disrespected like that. Good for him!

I remember being so disappointed by how bad the Predator looked when it took off the helmet at the papier mache was obvious! :p

Edward, you must mean Predators or one of the AVP horrors because the Predator in the original still looks like something out of an actual video footage of a real creature from outer space. :)

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Chuck Norris vs. Bruce Lee at the Coliseum - man, edge of the seat excitement for me, my brother and cousins, all little boys, watching Return of the Dragon! All of Chuck Norris' later movies could never live up to that, although many were definitely fun!

Speaking of Van Damme, some years ago, when living in New York City, I used to train Brazilian Jiujitsu at Renzo Gracie's gym. Huge gym with many students, lots of turnover, so everybody was used to seeing new faces. One of the guys I trained with was this older dude, stocky, muscular, lots of tattoos including Hells Angels logo and 1%er. One training session after the two of us had gone all out rolling, I asked one of the other guys, "You know this fellow?" he went, "Don't you know Chuck Zito? THE Van Daminator???" Then it struck me, I'd read the story some years before and this was the famous stunt guy/bodyguard/"friend" of action heroes, who had knocked out Van Damme at a club in NYC after the two of them got into an altercation! Dude even had his own Web site with the words "Van Daminator" front and centre, LOL! http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/gossip/van-damme-ko-hapless-belgian-topless-bar-article-1.802923

ProteinNerd

Apologies for being a bore but I HAVE to clarify 2 points brought up earlier.

Chuck Norris originally shot to fame as he was a legit World Champion in full contact Karate. I think he held the world title for 6 years straight so he was pretty bad ass "back in the day". Sure it's not the same as the MMA today but it was still 2 pretty well trained guys trying to KO each other with kicks to the head!

JCVD was originally cast (and is included still in some scenes) of Predator (as the Predator) but left when it became apparent his face wouldn't be seen in the film.

Obviously I'm also a nerd of 70-90s Martial Arts action movies.....but that's too long of a name to use [emoji13]

Edward

Bartender
Edward, you must mean Predators or one of the AVP horrors because the Predator in the original still looks like something out of an actual video footage of a real creature from outer space. :)

Woah there... There was more than one AVP??? Jinkies.

Woah there... There was more than one AVP??? Jinkies.

Two, one worse than the other and then I think even the video games are considered to be canon. None of it was as bad as the Predators movie which just might become a little better once the Predator 3 gets released in 2018 because I know for a fact it's going to be even worse. Somehow.

I mean, you'll have such wonderful characters as the main guys son and wife. In a Predator movie. I bet the Predators are going to take her hostage at one point. Have they ever even seen the first Predator?

I swear...

Edward

Bartender
[QU

Nsh, saw
Two, one worse than the other and then I think even the video games are considered to be canon. None of it was as bad as the Predators movie which just might become a little better once the Predator 3 gets released in 2018 because I know for a fact it's going to be even worse. Somehow.

I mean, you'll have such wonderful characters as the main guys son and wife. In a Predator movie. I bet the Predators are going to take her hostage at one point. Have they ever even seen the first Predator?

I swear...

No...they can't get worse than the first one, surely? Mind you, I said that about Predator 2.... Hated them all.

I'm not sure how's it even possible not to like Predator but I guess it's the same as me not liking hats so... XD

Having said that, I love Predator 2. I know the hate bandwagon is strong on that one for some unknown reason even though everyone acknowledges every sci-fi action movie ever constantly rips off stuff from it but I find it to be a superbly competent and supremely entertaining movie that while reusing everything that made the first one so great and popular, does so with utmost respect towards it. It's not Aliens which is in a tie with a Terminator 2 for being the best movie ever made but it is a genuinely good movie. You've got some brilliant scenes all leading up to the insane 40 minutes chase that IMO still hasn't even been attempted in a movie, let alone done right - the subway shootout, crazy city chase, the insanely brilliant slaughter house part where the government agents get slaughtered, all climaxing with the freaking Predator space ship. What I find most brilliant about it is that the chaotic "futuristic" LA is really believable. I mean, if it became like that in the early 90's, but every shot of the city really has a vibe of something going terribly wrong with it, the world and the people.

But I don't know why's a LW thread became a movie thread. I mean, I do know, 'cause I'm talking about movies... Sorry! Carry on about jackets! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot