Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
AFAIK the golden buttons. The bridge coat is longer and cut like a trenchcoat.

A reefer is what the Navy calls a peacoat that officers and chiefs wear. It is the exact same coat that enlisted men wear, except for officers there are epaulets for attaching shoulder rank. The chiefs wear their rank on the sleeves of their peacaots, just as do the enlisted ranks. Both officers and chiefs wear gold eagle buttons instead of the black fouled anchor buttons. Seldom are pea coats still worn by officers and chiefs anymore; almost all now wear a bridge coat, so this is perhaps a moot topic. It is possible that Chiefs still call their pea coats just that, and only the officer pea coats are call reefers. I just can't remember. I do know both officers and chiefs wear gold buttons.

Bridgecoats are a different type coat. More of a conventional overcoat. They are longer--past the knees--and made of a lighter weight wool. As in reefers, officers wear their rank on their shoulders. A chief wears no rank on the sleeves, or anywhere else, on his bridgecoat.

As this is a confusing subject, because of change of practice over the past 60 or 70 years, I researched the current Naval clothing regulations, as well as had several conversations with a Navy Captain (0-6), a Navy Lt. Commander (0-4) and a Command Master Chief (E-9). This research was done several years ago, but I believe it to still be current as I reviewed the regulations again about 2 years ago.

Edit Note: In the current regulations, a Bridgecoat is now called an Overcoat, Blue, while a Reefer remains a Reefer.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
See my Sticky at the top of the page, or try this link: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?67225-Lost-Worlds-Peacoat/page3

A picture of a peacoat and a bridgecoat are side by side for an easy comparison. Also there is a short discussion of who wears what and how. With the passage of years, this has become an arcane subject.

Thank you very much, Peacoat, you've helped to clear up something that's bugged me for years. It's this kind of sharing of information that I love about FL.

And SpeedR, that is one helluva a coat. The leather is fantastic and the collar detail shows how much workmanship has gone into it. You wear it well!

Last edited:

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
As promised Lost Worlds Leather Peacoat in Goatskin :

Wow SpeedRcrX that is a Gorgeous Jacket!!!! HD is right perfect fit and you look great in it. Perfect for the weather in France! You are right about the Goat it looks like a great alternative to heavy horse hide. This is definitely worth talking to Stuart about.

By the way I have dealt with Stuart a number of times and never had an issue with Lost Worlds quality or timing.

Wilbur

Last edited:

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Thanks Gentlemen for the compliments.

Yeah it's perfect for the weather in France, perfect timing to get the coat now too, since temperature have been dropping and where I live it is quite windy.... So I'm really happy to have this fantastic peacoat

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Good job; it looks the business. Jurgen Prochnow would be proud of you. This will be my next leather acquisition if I ever get my Johnson Leathers MC jacket broken in.

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Wow! That is simply gorgeous. The stitching detail and workmanship are extraordinary! What a great choice. Looks very well on you, too. Enjoy!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Thanks guys.

@nabottle: no need to break the leather it's already supple as butter. What about yours? You have some super heavy horsehide, must be tough to break?

I love that the leather is not shiny, I take a better look at the color and it change with the light, it can be black to very slightly gray.

Last edited:

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Are there any pockets inside the jacket?

I just spoke to Stuart, and my Peacoat should be shipping sometime next week.

Thanks,

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy