Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maybe this has something to do with my listening to "Come What May.." (from Moulin Rouge) as I sit here typing, as it does give me something of a lump in the throat when it catches me off-guard!. Also just watched the old movie: "Brief Encounter."

Maybe I'm just a bit of a cynic when it comes to something like: "love at first sight," or then again, maybe it's a fear thing of mine.
It's a bit of a cliche as we hear it bantered about, but...does it actually happen? has it happened to you?

Have you ever just met someone out of the blue, you talk, smile and laugh and something has just clicked and you feel like you are just going to fall into those deep blue eyes and drown, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Let's hear your thoughts from out there in Fedora Lounge land...

MissHuff

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
Maybe this has something to do with my listening to "Come What May.." (from Moulin Rouge) as I sit here typing, as it does give me something of a lump in the throat when it catches me off-guard!.

I was just watching Moulin Rouge while you were posting this. :D

PADDY said:
Have you ever just met someone out of the blue and something has just clicked and you feel like you are just going to fall into those deep blue eyes and drown, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

It wasn't a complete "LOVE at first sight" but when I met my fiance I felt a strong connection as if I knew he was somebody I wanted to/was going to get to know very well. Although it was about 3AM at a friend's house and I was a little... tired, his Big blue eyes were one of the only things I remembered the next day. That and I was a little sad and he gave me a hug even though we had just met. Left me with a "this is a good guy" and a feeling that he was going to be more than just some stranger I met one sleepy night. Now we have a beautiful daughter and a wedding date still to be hashed out.

So I guess I did experience some form of LAFS. I think that "Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love" isn't something that just happens out of thin air. But it could just start with a feeling you don't understand.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Something I may have some experience in

I think you recognize something amazing in another person and initially you have a visceral reaction to this recognition. Perhaps it's the realization that, standing before you, is the personification of all of your dreams. Perhaps, there is something in the human soul that recognizes it’s compliment in another person and your mind and heart are stricken and the first to fall to love’s pervasive sway.

Then, once you get to know this person, these feelings are either mitigated away from certain unrecognized incompatibilities, or they are deepened by those endless strings of almost synchronicity-inspired similarities, commonalities, shared values, honest revelations, shared goals, even similar political views ;) ; all those wonderful things that make love such a fulfilling and incredible human endeavor.

I think it only goes to reason that we would have a capacity to recognize our true love. We recognize food; what nurtures us and what is harmful; we recognize clean air and water; we know how to seek shelter; we recognize all of those things that we need to survive. Love is the ultimate human pursuit; how could we lack the ability to recognize this? :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
PADDY said:
Have you ever just met someone out of the blue, you talk, smile and laugh and something has just clicked and you feel like you are just going to fall into those deep blue eyes and drown, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Absolutely, positively YES.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
It has happened to me, but never turned out to be really good. [huh] You get carried away too easily and than you might realise that you didn´t consider the whole luggage that goes with that person :mad: So I think I learned my lesson and just let people sneak in my heart slowly. but once they are in there is no way to return unless they break it. :rolleyes:

Steve

Practically Family
As one who has carried the torch for the same girl for seven years, though I barely know her, I can say that it is possible to feel a very strong attraction at first sight. Or at least, for the first time you "see" them if you know what I mean.

Naama

Practically Family
I don't belive in love in anyway these days for me..... Never been in love, and don't think that I'll ever be in love [huh]

Naama

GOK

One Too Many
Salv said:
Paddy really charmed you on Monday night, didn't he...:D

Aaahh how can I deny it? Mind you, it was your good self I was sitting next to for most of the evening!! ;)

Feraud said:
What gives? You have to give us the dope after that comment.

Oh no my friend, you don't get me like that! As I always say, a lady never tells! lol

Naama said:
I don't belive in love in anyway these days for me..... Never been in love, and don't think that I'll ever be in love [huh]

Naama

I used to say that.....

lindylady

A-List Customer
The logical side of me doesn't want to put too much stock in love at first sight. The hopeless romantic side of me will believe that such a thing is possible. The hopeless romantic side always prevails....:eek:

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I think you can fall in love at first sight, of course.

Whether it grows or lasts (or is mutual) is another story entirely. Our initial perceptions, expectations, and the fact that we ourselves as well as others can potentially be deceptive (be it intentional or not) can lead to either dissolution or strengthening of this initial love.

Personally, I've never experienced this "love at first sight" phenomena. I think it sounds like a lovely experience.

I am a silly schoolgirl with silly schoolgirl crushes that seldom come to fruition (and I base these crushes more on mannerisms and everyday things than looks - I've never felt infatuated with someone without having heard them speak, or having read something they've personally written).

My last one did, though, and I'm grateful. :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Love at first sight?

Absolutely yes!
I was the creative director at Young & Rubicam, Copenhagen. Had to be in a meeting where we should interview and hire a new production/traffic manager.
I was late and entered the meeting after it had begun. There was this stunning girl sitting at the table!!!!!

We have been together ever since. This happened in 1982.
So, yes. It can happen. To us all.

S

Samsa

I think this thread implicitly points to the problem with English having only one word for "love." People can say, with a straight face, "I love my wife," "I love my dog," "I love my car," and "I love The Beatles." The Greeks had four words for love: eros, philia, agape, storge. When people talk about love at first sight, I think they are refering to "eros" or romantic love. I believe that this sort of love at first sight happens all the time. However, it is a fleeting sort of "love"; I think that many people have lost sight of the distinction between different kinds of love, and especially between romantic love and conjugal love; the former lasts only briefly, but the latter has the potential to last until death. I think it's absurd to suggest that someone can have conjugal love at first sight; but eros at first sight is another thing altogether.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Looks like your Angel swooped down out of the sun and caught you!! What a lovely story.

You are right in more than one way there Paddy.
I was absolutely off guard, did not expect anything like that to happen. Had ended a relationship only 3 months before. And a marriage two years before.
So I had no plans like that.

My future wife had also just ended a mariage. So we were not really in business. But we talked a lot on the job and enjoyed talking together.
Guesse we also had a lot in common. Or a parallel destiny.

Two months after our first meeting I went on a long wellearned vacation to the greek islands for 3 weeks. And I realised after a few days, that I missed her. Missed talking to her. Missed her eyes and her smile.
That's when I knew, that I could impossibly live my life without her.

When I came back we were - luckily - both happy to see each other again. And my big romantic move was a post-it note on her cup of coffe saying: "You are the cream in my coffe" That settled it. We were in love...and had been so ever since our first meeting in the COs office.
We just did not dare to believe it.
Angel one o'clock.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24