Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
dostacos said:
"LOVE at first sight" happens every night at closing time :cheers1:

not sure about love but I have fallen in lust at first sight and I fell in like many many times.....

lol lol Thank you for making me spit out my water onto my keyboard! :D

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
I definitely believe people can feel an instant connection to each other in very rare circumstances. I don't think it happens often, and maybe it never happens to some people, but I think it can happen. Whether I'd define that as love, I don't know. I think love is something that takes intimacy, choice, sacrifice, and commitment, and none of those things can happen the first time two people's eyes meet.

Can you be stunned by someone's physical appearance, voice, grace of movement, laughter? Yes! Can it knock you through a loop? Oh yes. Can it lead to true love? I think it can, if that little seed of love is nurtured and cultivated with time.

Well put! :eusa_clap

Kishtu

Practically Family
I have to be careful what I say as my home sweetie also posts here ;)

We had chatted on the internet for a couple of months before we met. We arranged to meet at Detling multi-period re-enactment event. When he walked towards me I didn't immediately want to drag him into my tent, but we did stay out talking till 4am and have not spent more than two days apart since. (And they were inescapable hospital appointments - someone's got to stay home and look after the cat!)

I never felt as if I didn't know him. It wasn't lust, certainly wasn't that, but if you asked me how long we have been together I couldn't tell you - it feels as if we have always known each other. Even that night we first met...it wasn't like getting to know each other, it was like catching up with someone you haven't seen for a while.

Starius

Practically Family
Love at first... sound?

MissQueenie said:
Can you be stunned by someone's physical appearance, voice, grace of movement, laughter? Yes! Can it knock you through a loop? Oh yes. Can it lead to true love? I think it can, if that little seed of love is nurtured and cultivated with time.

I've been reading through this thread off and on for a couple days and its been a pretty interesting read. Though, one of those threads that I figured I'd never have reason to post in because, looking back on things, I don't think I've ever really fallen in love. Or perhaps not really in a reciprocal sort of way.

But MssQueenie mentioned something there that made me recall a few incidents.... "voice."
There have been a few moments in my life where I have heard a woman speak or say something, just in passing or earshot from another conversation, and it hits me like a thunderbolt. It literally almost grinds my mind to a standstill (in the most pleasant way imaginable.) I couldn't tell you what kind of quality it is, but I sure do know it when I hear it.

One time that comes to mind was back in college. I was in a particular class, everyone was busy working on some project on our computers. There was a young disabled woman in this class, she was wheelchair bound. I don't know why, but her legs seemed underdeveloped. I often saw her around but never talked to her. One day she was working one person away from me and she starts to humm a tune while we worked. It hit me like one of those thunderbolts... all I could do was just listen to her humming. All too quickly she stopped, and I remember wishing she would have continued longer.

There again, not a mutual reciprocation, but I do treasure those little moments.

Edward

Bartender
I find myself by this point in life with a romantic's ideals, and a cynic's expectations. Probably the worst of all possible worlds, but while I'm frequently disappointed, I'm never surprised. I categorically do not believe in love at first sight. Well, the last lady I attempted to woo - gloriously unsuccessful, it has to be said, I don't think I've ever hit such a wall of romantic disinterest - I've known to see around and speak to for years, but the cynic / realist in me would never have let anything develop until we fell into more regular conversation and seemed to have a lot in common and get on well. So definitely not a 'love at first sight' caper.

I'm not one of those folks who can let go and just get emotionally involved very quickly - my ideal has always been the friendship that blossoms into something else at some undefinable point, unsought but very welcome. Not much help when it seems that being a nice guy that takes the trouble to get to know a lady first gets you automatically damned to the "friends box", to be told "I really like you as a friend", or worse - "I like you, but I don't want to risk ruining our valuable friendship", which really means, "you're fun, but I just don't fancy you at all."

I can see how a lot of folks think they experience love - "whatever than means" lol - at first sight when an instant, superficial attraction over time turns into something more and it works out, but they forget about all the other folks they "loved" at first sight who weren't interested. As a friend's late father's bother used to say of her father (there's got to be a less clumsy way of puttind that!!) - "The first time he met your mother, he said 'I'm gonig to marry her.' Of course, he said that about a lot of girls.'" ;)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
<snip>
Maybe I'm just a bit of a cynic when it comes to something like: "love at first sight," or then again, maybe it's a fear thing of mine.
It's a bit of a cliche as we hear it bantered about, but...does it actually happen? has it happened to you?

<snip>B]

Yes.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
But MssQueenie mentioned something there that made me recall a few incidents.... "voice."
There have been a few moments in my life where I have heard a woman speak or say something, just in passing or earshot from another conversation, and it hits me like a thunderbolt. It literally almost grinds my mind to a standstill (in the most pleasant way imaginable.) I couldn't tell you what kind of quality it is, but I sure do know it when I hear it.

This has heppened to me a few times, too. :)

Lee

"Men will always delight in a woman whose voice is lined with velvet." - Brendan Francis

Undertow

Thank you for the response, Mid!

I'll throw two things into the fire:

First, it is my belief that love can be both noun and verb - while still retaining all pomp and circumstance. When love is a verb, one may actively love a person and the next day fall out of love with the person (think serious 12 month relationship ending in tears). However, in order for one to attain the noun form, I do believe a relationship must bloom (not just bud) and I believe the noun is not quite so easily attained or destroyed.

Second, I do have to say that in all my years running around with girls, I'd never felt like I'd fallen in love instantly. I certainly developed relationships with people that were love but those took months and years. If anything, I had a strong interest in a person usually complimented by strong lust that eventually developed into a slightly mundane love.

However, I recently met a girl that actually changed my mind on "love-at-first-sight". Just as previous posters have mentioned, her voice alone grabbed me and I've been madly in love from the moment I met her. Granted, I may be a blind fool and there may be particular nuances I haven't noticed yet, but I can tell you I'm currently a fool deeply tangled in the web of love. :D

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Undertow...

Undertow said:
Thank you for the response, Mid!

I'll throw two things into the fire:

First, it is my belief that love can be both noun and verb - while still retaining all pomp and circumstance. When love is a verb, one may actively love a person and the next day fall out of love with the person (think serious 12 month relationship ending in tears). However, in order for one to attain the noun form, I do believe a relationship must bloom (not just bud) and I believe the noun is not quite so easily attained or destroyed.

Second, I do have to say that in all my years running around with girls, I'd never felt like I'd fallen in love instantly. I certainly developed relationships with people that were love but those took months and years. If anything, I had a strong interest in a person usually complimented by strong lust that eventually developed into a slightly mundane love.

However, I recently met a girl that actually changed my mind on "love-at-first-sight". Just as previous posters have mentioned, her voice alone grabbed me and I've been madly in love from the moment I met her. Granted, I may be a blind fool and there may be particular nuances I haven't noticed yet, but I can tell you I'm currently a fool deeply tangled in the web of love. :D

...buddy. You are overthinking this big time. Taint a thinkin' thing its a knowin' thing.

Mid-fogey's datin' dictum:

Be a gentleman.

Go fer a gal that goes fer you.

If you think: maybe? Keep on goin' till you know. Faint heart never won a fair lady.

Don't be in such a durned hurry. You caint know a gal till you summer and winter with her.

Dr Doran

Mid-fogey said:
...buddy. You are overthinking this big time. Taint a thinkin' thing its a knowin' thing.

Mid-fogey's datin' dictum:

Be a gentleman.

Go fer a gal that goes fer you.

If you think: maybe? Keep on goin' till you know. Faint heart never won a fair lady.

Don't be in such a durned hurry. You caint know a gal till you summer and winter with her.

Very sound advice.

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
That would be the friend's uncle.

bk

Yes, indeed..... somehow, though, I got off on a tagent thinking there was a different easier way of putting it. bah. I guess I'm all outta sorts these days and it messed with my brain!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt