Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LUFTWAFFE FLiES: LEWiS LEATHERS 'DOMiNATOR' Review

Budajoe

New in Town
Well, I couldn't help but post...I just scored (by the sheer grace of the Lord!) JohnnyJohnny's jacket from the 'Bay and this thing is so beautiful, I just had to write a follow up review!

First off, got say a big thanks to JohnnyJohnny!!! It was very cool dealing with him -- a really nice guy!

D. Hunter -- you will be stunned by your jacket (at least I am) -- I own a few high quality jackets (a BR B2, a ELC Irvin, and a couple of Aeros, one of which is a Rocker jacket of a similar style.) and this piece, the Dominator, stands up to any of them...

If I had to describe this jacket in two words, I would say "Luxury & Style" would be it!

The hide is SO supple, so extremely soft and tender...it's ridiculous. Completely opposite from let's say the Aero Rocker FQHH hide, which while supple and gorgeous in it's own manner, is a much thicker, stiffer, and harder hide -- could probably take a small cal. bullet!

The leather on this the Dominator is definately not thin, but as JJ described, not too thick either...possibly a perfect blend -- very comfy, and while I typically take a 44 in ELC & Aero, this one, a 46, fits me perfect I think -- even I was surprised how well it fit!!!

It just oozes quality & and has style in spades. Truely a keeper for me. Unless I really needed the cash, I probably wouldn't ever sell it.

Funny thing is, prior to this post, I never really heard too much of Lewis Leathers (I'm over in the States)...but now, after getting my hands on this one...I could (if they weren't so damn expensive) definately see myself aquiring others.

All the best,
B

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Holy Cr@P! You scored

. .a HUGE deal on that fine hide!

Well done . . .and enjoy!

I'm waiting on an Aero Ace Cafe. . . .:p

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Budajoe said:
Well, I couldn't help but post...I just scored (by the sheer grace of the Lord!) JohnnyJohnny's jacket from the 'Bay and this thing is so beautiful, I just had to write a follow up review!

First off, got say a big thanks to JohnnyJohnny!!! It was very cool dealing with him -- a really nice guy!

D. Hunter -- you will be stunned by your jacket (at least I am) -- I own a few high quality jackets (a BR B2, a ELC Irvin, and a couple of Aeros, one of which is a Rocker jacket of a similar style.) and this piece, the Dominator, stands up to any of them...

If I had to describe this jacket in two words, I would say "Luxury & Style" would be it!

The hide is SO supple, so extremely soft and tender...it's ridiculous. Completely opposite from let's say the Aero Rocker FQHH hide, which while supple and gorgeous in it's own manner, is a much thicker, stiffer, and harder hide -- could probably take a small cal. bullet!

The leather on this the Dominator is definately not thin, but as JJ described, not too thick either...possibly a perfect blend -- very comfy, and while I typically take a 44 in ELC & Aero, this one, a 46, fits me perfect I think -- even I was surprised how well it fit!!!

It just oozes quality & and has style in spades. Truely a keeper for me. Unless I really needed the cash, I probably wouldn't ever sell it.

Funny thing is, prior to this post, I never really heard too much of Lewis Leathers (I'm over in the States)...but now, after getting my hands on this one...I could (if they weren't so damn expensive) definately see myself aquiring others.

All the best,
B

Any chance of some pictures ?

I had a look at an Aero Rocker in vintage FQHH at the shop in the Ace Cafe in London and the hide weight seemed normal Aero.

adam

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
yeSSSSSSSSS!

yes srivats, that is exactly what budajoe is talking about! waHHHHHHH!

however, i put it on ebay because my lonG arms were a tad too long in my own self-estimation and i knew i'd not wear it much...and, with all grace, budajoe bought it...have to say, a super nice guy...he happened to live within minutes of me, so i took it over and met the bLoke, and by george if that thing didn't fit him better'n' me! must have been meant to be

since we were the same size (now, to answer a few questions above about aero and the aero rocker), budajoe let me try on his size 44 ace aero rocker, which is the size i'd get...mY gaWd what a jacket...perhaps the nicest jacket i've ever seen or tried on...that aero! only thing is, i prefer it light, so he had the thick horsehide, which was sooo cool (not temp wise)...the thing sat up by iteself...however i'd get the medium weight horse...just to note, the rocker is really the aero highwayman, with added patches if you wish, and a novel checkerboard liner, but the jacket is the highwayman...and i have never seen a jacket i want more

as it was, the money for my Dominator has already gone for an acer aspire 1 netbook with windows xp, 1gig ram and the 6 cell battery...i could have put it towards an aero highwayman, but i am a writer (no nasty comments) and it will further me writing the great American noir novel...so i thank budajoe

sometimes a great jacket, for one reason or the other, must go on it's way...which happens in all things in life...including with girlfriends

anyway, this is to tip the glass to bjoe from me, may he enjoy his Dominator, and to let everyone know if they get this jacket from Lewis, or the Highwayman from Aero, they will be totally satisfied...these both are superB jackets, and from my experience, both companies have the incredible staff and customer service to match their amazing products

off to the novel

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Funny you should say that Sir, guess what two jackets I'm waiting on right now....

Lewis Dominator (yes, you already know about that one)

Aero Highwayman (black, heavy steer)

I can't bring myself to order a horse hide jacket.

They're both in transit. Last night when the UPS driver rang the intercom at my driveway gate I practically ran out to meet her. I'm still waiting, the package last night was for my wife.....arggggghhh.

Budajoe

New in Town
JJ, thanks for the kind words! It was truely pleasure dealing with you!!!

D. Hunter -- you're really in for a treat on both jackets! Being the your Highwayman is made of Steer, it probably won't be as stiff or hard as the FQHH.

You'll love each one in their own way! Anticipation stincks, doesn't it!

Try & post some pics when you get them in! I'm sure everyone would love to see them!

BJ

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Ok, yesterday was frustrating.....

I got home to discover a delivery notice from UPS on my gate intercom. I can't believe the one time my driver comes to my house before 5:00pm it's for this!!!!

I got online as soon as I walked in the door and selected the pick up at UPS center option and raced over this morning.

What can I say about this jacket that hasn't already been said....it's simply amazing. When I first put it on I felt it was a little snug but it's quickly starting to comform to my funky sized frame and feels great!

Lewis Leathers has earned my gratitude with this one. They promised they'd try to have it to me before Christmas and the total time from order to delivery was nine days.....incredible!

Next time I want a custom jacket who do you think I'll get ahold of?

Budajoe

New in Town
D. Hunter,

Glad to hear you got your jacket! Hope you enjoy to the fullest!

How about some pics!:)

It be interesting to hear your thoughts on the difference of the two jackets once your Aero arrives.

B

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Ok, the Highwayman was waiting for me at home on Friday so I can now compare both jackets.

Lewis Leathers - Dominator:

Extremely well made. Snug fitting jacket suitable for wearing with a t-shirt and probably not much else. The quality of the leather is remarkable. Very soft leather, needs no break in to wear comfortably. I loved this jacket from the very moment I removed it from the box.

Aero Leathers - Highwayman (heavy steer hide, black)

Very well made with some manufacturing flaws. A few subtle scrapes on the seams here and there. Nothing major that couldn't be covered with black shoe dye....I've already touched up a couple of spots and it works really well. When I first tried the jacket on I immediately thought two things....one, my god this thing is heavy....two, did they send me a horse hide jacket by mistake??? I had to check the label to make sure...nope, it's heavy steer hide but my god is it stiff. The cut of the jacket is alot roomier than the Dominator. I could probably wear a sweater under the Highwayman if need be. It'll take quite a bit of break in before this thing will be comfortable to wear...it feels like armour right now.

I'm happy with both of my jackets but the Lewis is by far much better made and more comfortable from day one.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
sTarT your oWN LuFTWAFFE guys!

i think budajoe and danielhunter should buy matching messerschmitts and start their own Luftwaffe!

:eusa_clap

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Well....I am a pilot although I only fly small Cessna's.

There's no Bf-109 in my near future so my 911 will have to do.

ps: Thank you Sir for planting the seed in my head to aquire one of these fantastic jackets. Before your thread I'd never even heard of Lewis Leathers.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
PorSCHE STuKKa 911

well, i'm sure you'll look very Luftwaffian in your Dominator and 911

as for Lewis, i must confess, i too heard about them from another poster on fedLounge here about a year ago...

{EDiTED}--JUST iN! had to edit this thread in response to the BeLLy Tank, who expressed his disdain for the eastman/Dominator style Luftwaffe in deference to the 'hartMann'...well, mr. tank, these pix are for you...enJoy>>>

c490_1.JPG

c511_1.JPG

c4d8_1.JPG

...uhhh, yah...it is the reaL deaL (for those wondering)...and, no, it is not mein...er, mine

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Sie erhalten Ihre Flügel

do you have a Stuka Ju-87 to go with that jacket?

where did you get it...i musT knoWWWWW! replica? reaL deaL?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy