Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lush Life

nyx

One of the Regulars
I found a great store this weekend called Lush. it's been around for awhile, but they put a store in a Macy's near me so I finally got to go and browse. I thought some of you ladies and even gents might like it. They have bath bombs, bars that crumble into bubble bath, bar shampoos, lotions, conditioners, deodorants etc. It's all made by hand and contains almost all natural ingrediants. For example the masks they make can't be sold on-line because of freshness issues, and it has to be stored in the frig.

I spent over $120, so it's not cheap, but with a lot of the soaps, you can buy it in chunks depending on the size you want. It's figured out by weight. There are face lotions, shaving creams, massage bars etc. I love the bath bombs and I'm using a face mask right now called Cosmetic Warrior which feels great. A lot of their products are even vegan. I think their website is www.lush.com. By me they are located inside the macy's in the makeup counter section. It looks totally out of place, but they have so much good stuff there that I can't describe.

Just remembered, they sell blocks of henna for those of you who want radiant red hair or blue black or an auburn brown. They even carry EVO bars for the face. I highly recommend the store. After I went home, I went on-line and ordered more :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE Honey I Washed the Kids. Smells so delicious... I am hoping to get some more soon. My friend Tayva turned me onto it. I love her for it!

drjones

A-List Customer
Puzzled

*raises hand in confusion*

What is this place? Like Lotions n Potions? Enlighten me please ladies!

DRJONES

jayem

A-List Customer
YIKES! "Gorgeous" is $85!

A little to hefty for my budget, but I bet the products are wonderful.

drjones

A-List Customer
allergy hell

ShooShooBaby said:
it's like hell for people with allergies! :p

seriously though, i can't even go in there.

AH! yes...i know your pain. Some perfume shops leave me looking like I lost a dear relative. Teary eyed, sniffling....you know the drill Im sure.

DRJONES

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I love this place--went into my first one in London, then found one in my backyard (almost) in Santa Monica. I'm kinda excited, though--they may be bringing in their sister store soon, <b never too busy to be beautiful>. Love it! All organic products, great makeup, and sparkle-filled compacts! Could you ask for more?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I went to my first one in London too, when I was 14. I bought "I Should Coco" soap (coconut scented), and it quickly became a favorite. Every time I use it I remember what it felt like to be in London for the first time.

My friend used to work at the SF one, and every time I'd go she'd give me huge samples. Even if you don't know the people that work there, you can ask for samples of certain soaps and they will cut off a little chunk for you.

I definitely want to get a job there...maybe I'll the one in Santa Monica this summer. We'll see!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I love lush stuff, but I have to be kept away from the shop, I can spend far too much there. So far my favourite soap is Rock Star

Edited to add: Keep an eye out at Christmas, they bring out a shower gel called Snowflake, which is gorgeous

CassD

One of the Regulars
I just recently discovered Lush as well and I am a devoted Lush addict now. I do have some problems with allergies, but it is sooo much better for you than all that chemical ridden stuff. I've been using the Catastrophe Cosmetic face mask and my skin looked ten times better just after the first use! Also, the Jungle conditioner is fantastic for dry hair. My hair hasn't been this healthy since it got hacked off to about inch (bad stylist with no concept of the difference between two inches and one inch).

Dr. Jones: Lush is basically lotions and potions, however, they go as natural as possible and use as little packaging as possible. They are environmental friendly. The face masks actually have no preservatives in them at all. They carry soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, shaving lotions (for guys and gals), facial cleansers, solid perfume and my husband's personal favourite . . . massage bars. If you have incredibly sensative allergies, you want to be careful, however, since I have been slowly introducing myself to their products, my allergies have actually become less sensative.

Emblaze

Familiar Face
Beware of Lush's henna hair dye. It gets very pretty results, but it's SUCH a pain to apply. You buy it in solid, heavy blocks, like blocks of chocolate but much thicker. First you have to grate it all, and if your hair is long like mine was you'll need at least two blocks. Seriously dudes, hand and wrist pain like scribbling furiously for a three-hour essay exam! Then you add boiling water to it until it makes a paste and apply it, still hot, to your head. Wrap it in clingfilm and sit for four hours. Yes, four hours. Meanwhile, the paste has dried into the consistency of dry clay and is horribly heavy. The water comes out and runs down your face, staining your neck, cheeks, forehead and collar green. Did I mention it smells like something died on your head? When the time finally comes to wash it out, prepare yourself to basically wash dried-in clay out of your hair. It takes forever, feels horrible and makes the shower look like an abattoire. I was practically sobbing in the shower, it felt so nasty. I was past caring what colour my hair was, so long as I could get the stuff off. I thought I was going to have to cut it out! (I do have a tendency to be a complete drama queen, but even so, it's a very unpleasant process!)

You'll end up with gorgeous, shiny, soft, vibrant hair (which will still smell of dead people for a few weeks) but it's hell to get there!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
They tell me it's all natural so no allergic reaction but for some reason it really irritates my skin. I do like the Ruby Red Slippers bubbles though. Smells nice & is sparkly.

The smell of the shop makes me want to vomit though :eek:

I love the smell of the shop, usually when I go into a Lush store it's just because I want to breathe in all the different scents, unfortunately this always leads to me spending money lol

nyx

One of the Regulars
Emblaze said:
Beware of Lush's henna hair dye. It gets very pretty results, but it's SUCH a pain to apply. You buy it in solid, heavy blocks, like blocks of chocolate but much thicker. First you have to grate it all, and if your hair is long like mine was you'll need at least two blocks. Seriously dudes, hand and wrist pain like scribbling furiously for a three-hour essay exam! Then you add boiling water to it until it makes a paste and apply it, still hot, to your head. Wrap it in clingfilm and sit for four hours. Yes, four hours. Meanwhile, the paste has dried into the consistency of dry clay and is horribly heavy. The water comes out and runs down your face, staining your neck, cheeks, forehead and collar green. Did I mention it smells like something died on your head? When the time finally comes to wash it out, prepare yourself to basically wash dried-in clay out of your hair. It takes forever, feels horrible and makes the shower look like an abattoire. I was practically sobbing in the shower, it felt so nasty. I was past caring what colour my hair was, so long as I could get the stuff off. I thought I was going to have to cut it out! (I do have a tendency to be a complete drama queen, but even so, it's a very unpleasant process!)

You'll end up with gorgeous, shiny, soft, vibrant hair (which will still smell of dead people for a few weeks) but it's hell to get there!

My friend bought a brick of henna while we were there. I'll let her know the horror :)

As for the smell, it's strong, but since the one by me is in the Macy's, it's situated right in with all the perfume and makeup counters, which is pretty much overwhelming anyway. A couple of their soaps made me gag--I had to smell the dandruff soap because I'd heard stories--they were right :eek: But others were lovely. I had a Sex Bomb bath the other night and my skin on my dry legs was so soft and smooth, with no lotion either. My one friend swears by their sea salt scrub and another by their Godiva shampoo (and he's a man). I bought their deodorant because I have sensitive underarms and it's worked well so far, and after one week, the Cosmetic Warrior has performed some miracles on my skin--and they had given it to me free because it was nearing it's expiration date.

Blondie

Practically Family
Lush is my absolute favourite !
I could rave about their products for ever ;)
I have been addicted since they opened their store in Sydney bout 15 years ago......
At the moment my faves are
Blue Skies Bath Bar,
Marshmallow Moment Bath Melt,
Creamy Candy Bath Melt,
Sex Bomb Bath Bomb
Flying Fox shower gel
I love the bath bombs but hate all the dried flowers etc in them so i put them in an old stocking before they go in the bath, that way they dissolve but the stocking keeps the "lawn clippings" contained !
If there was a Lush store in Nashville i would work there in a heart beat !
I heard that in the UK Lush also sells cosmetics, anyone tried them ???

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
We've had Lush stores here for a while now, walking past kind of makes me sneeze so I've never really been tempted to go in - are the products nice? It always looks so bright and colourful, if only it didn't tickle my nose! xx

lyburnum

Practically Family
Emblaze said:

My boyfriend bought some henna hair dye from Lush about 2 years ago. He thought it'd be better for his hair than the off the shelf hair dyes, and that's what they said in Lush. However, before applying it he asked our hairdresser about it, who said that under no circumstances should he be using it, unless he only dyed his hair a couple of times a year. APparently where off the shelf chemical dyes basically raise the cuticles in your hair, and deposit the dye underneath it, henna breaks down the hair instead, which is why you get such shiny hair afterwards. However, this is really, really bad for your hair, and if you use it too much you'll destroy your hair.

Don't tell you that in Lush.

Apart from that though I do rather like Lush. I love their gift boxes and get them as Motherday presents and as gifts for my Mother-In-Law-to-Be. They're expensive though, so they're more of a treat for me than anything.

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I used to walk past the one in Queens Street Mall (in Brisbane) all the time and the smell always turned me off. If I can find one in Sydney I'll give it a go though! I always prefer to use natural products these days, with my sensitive skin and health.

alexandra

Practically Family
I've been using their shampoo pucks religiously for a while now and I love them because you get so much use for the money you pay. One leaves my hair smelling like cinnamon and the other leaves my hair super shiny, so it's nice. I also do enjoy that they're vegan shampoo.

Folly

One of the Regulars
Oh I LOVE Lush! I have such a weakness for Karma it's ridiculous! Plus anything that is scented with ylang ylang, jasmine or patchouli.

I have also been using their Caca Rogue henna for a while now, I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner