Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire trousers

TTO

Familiar Face
Thanks guys, I sent measurements, and specified a variety of things, like side adjusters on the seam between the waistband and the trousers, the width of the waistband, that it was split at the back, brace buttons a flapped watch pocket etc.
-TTO

Metatron

One Too Many
I like what I'm seeing. While perusing the order form, I found that the waist size goes from 10.00 to 30.00. What kind of scale is this?

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Aaah yes. There are also demonstration pics when you click on 'Measurements'.
Wool flannel for $99. Very nice stuff.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I sent Luxire a pair of trousers to copy. The original pair had daks adjusters, but I asked for belt loops, buttons for braces and buckle adjusters.

I also asked them to increase the width of the cuffs. I chose the light grey wool flannel.
The positive:
The fabric is not what I expected, but I like it. It is a thick, extremely soft, fuzzy wool.
The trousers feel like flannel pyjama trousers, and are a joy to wear. furthermore the wool is loosely woven, which makes it very breathable.
They are certainly warm, but don't get hot like my Danish civil defense trousers.
I would completelydisregard the reviews on Luxire's site saying that they are only wearable in the depths of winter.

The construction is of good quality, and detailed, with some added touches like an additional inner two button tab fastening. Not something I asked for, but I appreciate the attention to detail.

I think the wider cuffs are flattering for a person of my height, adding weight and definition to the trousers.
All other specs are also correct.

Unfortunately, out of all the things that could have gone wrong, the most unlikely one did:

Luxire inexplicably reversed the direction of the inner pleats, while keeping the outer forward facing pleats. Baffling.
I didn't give it much thought at first, but after trying them on a couple of times, I am now debating whether they are even wearable.
I feel that these reverse pleats give the trousers a rather ungainly and unnatural appearance, flaring out and inviting too much attention to themselves...
What do you think?

Whislerm

New in Town
Pleats are always going to be of different opinions. The front drape looks great to me, however in the back there appears to be excess fabric maybe in the seat not allowing them to drape very well there?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Metatron: Return them and ask for what you had ordered. Little mistakes will always happen with this type of tailoring. But the direction of the pleats is not a small mistake, it's a major error. I don't wear outward facing pleats so I would never accept them - even worse when the two sets of pleats go in opposite directions. It's a crazy error - half right, half wrong.

It is not acceptable.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've seen a pair of vintage trousers with different direction pleats, although the opposite to yours; inside pleat facing in and outside pleat facing out, and i'll bet you could find a vintage pair with the combo your's have. having said that, if you're not happy you should return them.

this hit or miss aspect of Luxire's - some people getting exactly what they ordered, and some getting unwanted surprises - is really frustrating and unprofessional.

Claudio

Vendor
Begs the question but for 150$ can you not get trousers tailored in the UK, keeping your local economy going, keeping old dieing trades alive, and also working face-to-face with your tailor avoids these frustrations. I have lived in far east Asia for many many years and know how hard it is to say something simple to someone and they get it wrong non the less. Not necessarily because they are thick, but because the importance you give to one aspect is not picked up by person doing the job. Hell I have that problem sometimes with my experienced Italian makers!

As stated front looks ok its the back that is unwearble IMO

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The pleats issue is unfortunate, but I agree that there is a bigger issue with the seat. Too much fabric for your bottom.
Wearing suspenders might improve the look a bit, but it would be better to have the rear seam take in more of the excess of the fabric.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
As stated front looks ok its the back that is unwearble IMO

i think 'unwearable' is a bit harsh. i've seen quite a few wide leg vintage trousers caving in down the back thigh like that. put a belt on and pull them up a bit and it can disappear. or stand slighty differently and they might hang straighter. i agree though that working with a face-to-face tailor would improve fit issues, which might just require a small tweak to make much better.

the whole long-range tailoring for items such as trousers and jackets is such a gamble.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Begs the question but for 150$ can you not get trousers tailored in the UK

There are a couple of companies that I have used and they would cost a bit more than that. Even 20 years ago I paid £200 for a pair of trousers from a proper, old school, tailor.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
There are a couple of companies that I have used and they would cost a bit more than that. Even 20 years ago I paid £200 for a pair of trousers from a proper, old school, tailor.

i think Baron K (or Ben Stephens) used a tailor around Marylebone who made decent trousers for around £85, if memory serves.
they were in a basement with metal steps outside. not a 'prestigious' name tailor. a workhorse.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
BK also had one Spitalfields that charged £50, but he was - if I remember correctly - a bit temperamental and prone to ignore requests for pleats.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
BTW, where is BK? Haven't seen him around the Lounge for quite a while.

I agree with HBK that Luxire's quality control leaves a lot room for improvement. Their error margin cannot possibly be as low as they claim given that nearly every item I ordered had issues, some of them quite profound. On top of that they don't seem to be able to adjust a shirt pattern for sloping shoulders. This should be basic knowledge for any shirtmaker methinks.

This seems to be a general problem, though. I had the same kind of problems with Jantzen (collar three sizes too big), Hemrajani (collar 1.5 sizes too big) and Natty (I ordered a regular fit, which means plus 5 inches wiggle room to your chest and waist measurements. Instead, they gave it plus 1.5 ". A slim fit has plus 4". So this shirt is basically unwearable, since it is pullover style and it is too tight to put on). These kinds of mistakes are so obvious that I can't understand how they can happen at all. Even if the cutter was asleep while cutting surely quality control must be able to spot such obvious mistakes?

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I've been lucky on my luxire orders - they once forgot to include a second collar in a shirt I ordered, but that's as far as their mistakes have gone. I wouldn't dare order a jacket or trousers from them though. Too much investment to shrug off when/if some horrible mistake happens. And some of their jackets just look downright peculiar, though my eye isn't trained well enough to know why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy