Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-422A v AN6552

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
That theory about the group patch already being on there makes total sense! Yea, I feel like it will prob go on the right side.

thor

Call Me a Cab
One thing to remember is that the AVG were NOT technically even part of the U.S. military when they were first created. For political reasons (since America was still neutral at the time), the AVG were listed as “volunteers” and traveled to China as “civilians”. They could not wear any of their respective American military uniforms. That’s why they wore a mix of uniforms, created new (unofficial) squadron patches and had Chinese Air Force insignia painted on their P-40 aircraft.
After America officially entered the war, the AVG were absorbed into the U.S. 14th Air Force. AVG pilots were given the choice to join the USAAF or to resign and become civilians.

The Flying Tigers have a very complex and convoluted origin, somewhat similar to the Eagle Squadron in Europe where American volunteers joined the British RAF (also before the U.S. entered WWII) but had to “sneak” over to England or pose as Canadian pilots!

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Right but as soon as they “resigned” and went back stateside, there were guys there to meet them and draft them right back into service. Haha.

The more I think about it, I’ve seen 23rd fighter squadron patches on the left side so maybe I’ll go left. Urgh! The struggle is real

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Right but as soon as they “resigned” and went back stateside, there were guys there to meet them and draft them right back into service. Haha.

The more I think about it, I’ve seen 23rd fighter squadron patches on the left side so maybe I’ll go left. Urgh! The struggle is real

Skyhawk

Vendor
One thing to remember is that the AVG were NOT technically even part of the U.S. military when they were first created. For political reasons (since America was still neutral at the time), the AVG were listed as “volunteers” and traveled to China as “civilians”. They could not wear any of their respective American military uniforms. That’s why they wore a mix of uniforms, created new (unofficial) squadron patches and had Chinese Air Force insignia painted on their P-40 aircraft.
After America officially entered the war, the AVG were absorbed into the U.S. 14th Air Force. AVG pilots were given the choice to join the USAAF or to resign and become civilians.

The Flying Tigers have a very complex and convoluted origin, somewhat similar to the Eagle Squadron in Europe where American volunteers joined the British RAF (also before the U.S. entered WWII) but had to “sneak” over to England or pose as Canadian pilots!

I'm pretty sure they brought the jackets with them. That's why there was a mix of M-422s and A-2s. Because the pilots came from the USN/ USMC, AAF.

If you do a quick google search on "Original Flying Tigers Photos" it seems like the majority of the AVG patches appear on the right side in the photos.

Regards,
Jay

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty sure they brought the jackets with them. That's why there was a mix of M-422s and A-2s. Because the pilots came from the USN/ USMC, AAF.

If you do a quick google search on "Original Flying Tigers Photos" it seems like the majority of the AVG patches appear on the right side in the photos.

Regards,
Jay

So left side of the jacket when worn?

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Any thoughts as to whether or not this might not look authentic enough to put on my m422a? Most of the AVG patches I've seen look very different, but this one is certainly cool. It's also very big measuring almost 8" across!

Brettafett

One Too Many
These were the one I was thinking of... But thats a squadron patch...
23FGpilot.jpg 13dbe18f57470fe5cd19b614d8c87386--military-clothing-blouson.jpg
Your patch looks awesome and I recon it would go on left breast (see below), and it will look way cool! Homage to the AVG!
But if you want 'authenticity' then you need to either leave the jacket front blank, add a name tag, paint the Red Hell's Angels on or put another patch on... etc
1944avgjktonlymultiptchobv2.jpg AVG pilot.jpg

AVGPilotsatYunnanyi1942 1.jpg
84664d123fa225e883e7ed4cdb9e4ea4--military-aircraft-the-chinese.jpg

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Yea I really like the looks and the layered leather stitching of my patch, but I'm worried it wouldn't look "correct" due to the fact that I can't find any like it. It encompasses all of the normal items such as the tiger with wings, V for victory, etc but looks to be that some artistic liberties were taken to make it look unique as opposed to authentic.
I actually also inquired with Eastman regarding where to put it and this is what he said:

"Yes the AVG (American Volunteer Group) is essentially a group patch, but because it wasn’t an official military unit (i.e. it was basically a mercenary organisation), the term ‘Group’ within it’s title doesn’t have the same implication as a military unit. The AVG was a thing all to itself and so can be confusing when trying to apply insignia placement rationale to it. They more or less put them where they wanted to as they had an array of different insignias over time.
One sees this patch design being worn most of the time like a squadron patch on the left side, but not always :)
As far as proper US military insignia placement protocol is concerned, the group patch goes right breast (if worn with with squadron patch - which always goes left). However if the wearer is higher echelon - say group commander, thus he isn’t assigned to any particular squadron, he would just wear a group patch alone. In this instance one often sees the group patch worn left.
So in summary. Squadron patch always goes left. Group patch always goes right if worn with sqdn patch, but can go left if not worn with sqd patch.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Gary"

Pretty cool that he responded back personally to my email! Certainly clears up why we see group patches on the left breast in so many pictures.

thor

Call Me a Cab
9DBECD0A-640B-4D08-B36C-255BC761CDB0.jpeg

These are the 3 individual fighter squadrons for the AVG: 1st Pursuit “Adam & Eve”, 2nd Pursuit “Panda Bears” and 3rd Pursuit “Hell’s Angels”.
From the photos I’ve seen, many Flying Tiger pilots chose to have their respective Pursuit Sqaudron patch sewn or painted on the front left side of their jackets.
Other pilots, like “Tex” Hill, opted for a Flying Tiger “group” patch.
No matter what patch you choose, an AVG tribute jacket will look cool.

thor

Call Me a Cab
65F07146-0552-49D4-9ACD-A716DC77659C.jpeg
A1AE6C64-D8F6-402C-8B23-E7C75C881633.jpeg 01E54E50-5549-4D0C-8260-5788CA650C89.jpeg
Early photos of one of the most famous Flying Tiger jackets, Tex Hill’s M-422a, show that there was no squadron patch. Later images (and the actual jacket in the Pacific Air War Museum) show the “ride the lightning” chest patch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner