Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-65 Field Jacket

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From what I understand they are sized to be worn over combat body armour. So if you want anything like a non baggy / oversized fit you need to size down 1-2 sizes

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The older ones weren't fit for armor for obvious reasons. The medium, for instance, was tailored to fit 37-41 inches, and I have found that to be accurate against normal sportcoat sizing. They're tailored for a wee bit of extra room, but it isn't like a mackinaw, cruiser, etc. They weren't issuing piles of clothing to personnel, so they weren't tailored with that idea in mind.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The M-65 wasn't designed to be warm without its liner. But the good news is, M-65 liners are inexpensive and easy to find. This is opposite of M-51 liners, which (in size XL) are almost impossible to find.

AF
I never bought the liner but in stead wear my M-65 with layers of clothings like fleece or hoodie inside.

RJR

I wore M-65s for years;recently got lucky and found an NOS Cooper in black goatskin.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I never bought the liner but in stead wear my M-65 with layers of clothings like fleece or hoodie inside.

I agree. I've got military liners for most of my field jackets but I generally use a hoodie instead. That way I can take off the jacket and still have a warm layer. The jacket below is actually an M-51, but the idea is the same.

misc013.jpg

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
All of us young punks had old, army surplus store M65 jackets, back in the middle 70's. Mine had Velcro. Man, did my mom ever hate that jacket!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I had an M-51 in high school. Right after the Kent State shootings, I sewed a big "Student Target" patch on it's back. Of course, there were "peace" buttons and "Get out of Vietnam" buttons and whatever on the front. I wore that jacket to shreds. One summer, it just disappeared. My mother always denied involvement.

AF

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
How strange. I swear I've only seen button cuffs, and the chances of only seeing older jackets seems unlikely. I don't know what mine had, but in the case of such a utilitarian garment, I suppose you set it like you like it and never think about it again. My vague memory is telling me I didn't own anything with Velcro until the late-80s on some hiking gear.

green papaya

One Too Many
the M65 hood is actually useful, a soldier would normally wear a field cap under the hood as part of the field uniform, the hood isnt normally used without the field cap, the hood isnt just for rain, it's also used to keep the wind chill off your head and ears.

I wore the Vietnam style OG M65 when I was in the service, they also continued wearing the older M51 field coats and those had the old style button cuffs, the M51 field coats were still made into the early 1960's , the M65 had the velcro cuffs

I just wear a sweater as my cold weather liner

I rarely wear my M65 field coat, it looks too out of place to wear around town, unless Im going someplace like the shooting range or fishing

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
The pockets are the greatest...see AF pic...just slip your hands in em....it is amazing about the hood...as thin as it is, it does do a heck of job on blocking the wind....
My fav is the OD green with brass zipper...and I still have and wear my first M65 issued in 1983..it is well worn and shows its age...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran