Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

ingineer

One Too Many
Moon;
Now that's a thought. Alessandria/OR style in silvermist.
thin ribbon, wonder if he can do wind trolley?
Fawcett hitchhiker style with 2-7/8 plus bound brim
darn, these are addictive, so comfy
you are spending a lot of cash on tolls.
good evening from exit 155

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon;
Now that's a thought. Alessandria/OR style in silvermist.
thin ribbon, wonder if he can do wind trolley?
Fawcett hitchhiker style with 2-7/8 plus bound brim
darn, these are addictive, so comfy
you are spending a lot of cash on tolls.
good evening from exit 155

he definitely can do a wind trolly

he actually sent me one recently to put on my first Gannon

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
just put my order in for the Dark Moss clone of Erics "wanderer"

Michael quoted me at a 4 to 5 week wait where it was probably 2 weeks before .... it's happening fellas

the Gannon business is booming and our man is BUSY

that makes me extremely happy

and I am glad to wait for my hat

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Pictures can speak. Shhh, they are trying to speak.

i-xvZbTJj-M.jpg

i-gNmd8bt-M.jpg

Wearing a Gannon this morning, Eric -

Last edited:

Mm25

One Too Many
Good news, bad news. I received an email from Michael this morning and my hat is about 1.5 to 2 weeks away from being started.
Bad news is that he has not been able to get the navy blue blank I am set on. He is going to continue to try, but the hat might get pushed back while waiting on the blank.
His communication has been wonderful through the process and I'm determined to wait for the navy blue. I just hope not for too long!

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
I put in an order with Michael last week for a beaver-felt in whiskey. I'm still deciding on the exact style, but it will be a fairly high crown with a 2 1/2" brim. I'll probably just leave the choice of ribbon to him; from what I've seen of his Michael's work in this forum, he has a great eye for such details.

He also quoted me about 5 weeks (which doesn't seem bad at all, considering I'm still waiting for my Optimo that I ordered almost 9 weeks ago).

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I put in an order with Michael last week for a beaver-felt in whiskey. I'm still deciding on the exact style, but it will be a fairly high crown with a 2 1/2" brim. I'll probably just leave the choice of ribbon to him; from what I've seen of his Michael's work in this forum, he has a great eye for such details.

He also quoted me about 5 weeks (which doesn't seem bad at all, considering I'm still waiting for my Optimo that I ordered almost 9 weeks ago).

Whiskey is a fantastic color ... you will love it

there are pics of mine a few pages back ... check it out if you have not already ... really great

hope you've worked out a color scheme for your second ... you can't have just one Gannon ;)

ingineer

One Too Many
Dang, these are just too nice.
the first one creased without steam.
So i'm in line for a fourth one, a gift to my brother Tom.
i'm asking him for a less formal one.
Sorry Art, a copy of the hitchhiker.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Whiskey is a fantastic color ... you will love it

there are pics of mine a few pages back ... check it out if you have not already ... really great

hope you've worked out a color scheme for your second ... you can't have just one Gannon ;)
As a matter of fact, I spent several days trying to decide between the whiskey and the dark moss. In the end, I decided just to order one now and one later. And I also love the charcoal... So I'm on the same page as you (I guess in terms of colors as well as quantities).

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Reflections on Gannon Traveler (my name for my new silvermist beaver):

I have been wearing this new hat on and off for a week. I am really enjoying this hat. If the past week is an example it will see lots of head time over the years.

i-F95r7qL-S.jpg

I had asked Mr.Gannon for a light weight hat inspired by my Dobbs Cross Country. A comparison pic is below:

i-wcXWnSb-M.jpg

i-fJ9hd2v-M.jpg

The Dobbs is a very special hat and I have been worried about wearing it to an early death. Super light weight, un-lined, grey and a small ribbon had given it features that made it an easy go to hat. Too easy.

The guide that I spoke to Mr.Gannon was that the new bespoke hat needed to be light weight, light color and ribbon work inspired by the Dobbs. Silvermist was agreed as an option for this hat. The silver mist beaver is highly pounced. In plain language - sanded thin. Silvermist is a color that has the felt difficult to work with when thin. My experience has been that in this color the felt becomes almost brittle as the felted hairs have been harshly "colored" or bleached. Silvermist is really a challenge for my requested nuances.

The felt is very malleable. Many times I see reviewers say clay-like. You put a roll in the felt and it stays. It takes very little force to make rolls or dents in the felt. The felt is noticeably thinner than the dress weights. I have worn the hat with and without the liner. Without the liner it feels airy and cool. Perhaps illusion, but it will prompt me to reach for the hat in warmer situations.

I asked for a fedora snap brim. I love the snap of this hat. My preference is to have my hats more flat, than curved brims. To my tastes it gives a town and country appeal to the hat. This is exactly what I asked for. I wanted to add a difference to my hat wardrobe.

When I opened the box the crown height surprised me. Wow tall! The ribbon surprised me - bigger! Not to my expectations -but I let the bespoke craftsman work his magic. I measured the crown and it is taller than my other hats. I really hesitated. The hat stayed in the box on my desk for a couple of hours as I worked. I would glance at the hat making my mind up. Finally I gave in and wore the hat into town for a few errands. Enormous crown was worked into a very deep bash with tug-boat features. It gave shape to the felt and reduced the big height. The ribbon is not noticeable when wearing until I glance in a mirror. After some time I can see that the lighter felt also gives the appearance of being bigger.

Others greeted me normally. I normally wear a hat and in their eyes this was a "normal vision" of myself. Closer acquaintances have commented on the colors and coordinating ribbon work. My wife likes the ribbon and told me it was a nice change from the thin ribbons I normally choose.

I am liking the hat. Would I have chosen all of the characteristics - no. Does it work together - yes. I am happy. In my eyes this is an example of letting the artisan do their job with minimal hindrance and encouraging the creative process.

i-9RTXNQm-M.jpg

The lighter weight silver mist is a winner! I have stepped back in line for another hat - what will it be? I have a general idea - but will again encourage the creative energies of the artisan.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

RJR

I have been wearing this new hat on and off for a week. I am really enjoying this hat. If the past week is an example it will see lots of head time over the years.

i-F95r7qL-S.jpg

I had asked Mr.Gannon for a light weight hat inspired by my Dobbs Cross Country. A comparison pic is below:

i-wcXWnSb-M.jpg

i-fJ9hd2v-M.jpg

The Dobbs is a very special hat and I have been worried about wearing it to an early death. Super light weight, un-lined, grey and a small ribbon had given it features that made it an easy go to hat. Too easy.

The guide that I spoke to Mr.Gannon was that the new bespoke hat needed to be light weight, light color and ribbon work inspired by the Dobbs. Silvermist was agreed as an option for this hat. The silver mist beaver is highly pounced. In plain language - sanded thin. Silvermist is a color that has the felt difficult to work with when thin. My experience has been that in this color the felt becomes almost brittle as the felted hairs have been harshly "colored" or bleached. Silvermist is really a challenge for my requested nuances.

The felt is very malleable. Many times I see reviewers say clay-like. You put a roll in the felt and it stays. It takes very little force to make rolls or dents in the felt. The felt is noticeably thinner than the dress weights. I have worn the hat with and without the liner. Without the liner it feels airy and cool. Perhaps illusion, but it will prompt me to reach for the hat in warmer situations.

I asked for a fedora snap brim. I love the snap of this hat. My preference is to have my hats more flat, than curved brims. To my tastes it gives a town and country appeal to the hat. This is exactly what I asked for. I wanted to add a difference to my hat wardrobe.

When I opened the box the crown height surprised me. Wow tall! The ribbon surprised me - bigger! Not to my expectations -but I let the bespoke craftsman work his magic. I measured the crown and it is taller than my other hats. I really hesitated. The hat stayed in the box on my desk for a couple of hours as I worked. I would glance at the hat making my mind up. Finally I gave in and wore the hat into town for a few errands. Enormous crown was worked into a very deep bash with tug-boat features. It gave shape to the felt and reduced the big height. The ribbon is not noticeable when wearing until I glance in a mirror. After some time I can see that the lighter felt also gives the appearance of being bigger.

Others greeted me normally. I normally wear a hat and in their eyes this was a "normal vision" of myself. Closer acquaintances have commented on the colors and coordinating ribbon work. My wife likes the ribbon and told me it was a nice change from the thin ribbons I normally choose.

I am liking the hat. Would I have chosen all of the characteristics - no. Does it work together - yes. I am happy. In my eyes this is an example of letting the artisan do their job with minimal hindrance and encouraging the creative process.

i-9RTXNQm-M.jpg

The lighter weight silver mist is a winner! I have stepped back in line for another hat - what will it be? I have a general idea - but will again encourage the creative energies of the artisan.

Best, Eric -
Very nice hat and interesting evaluation,thanks.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer

i-F95r7qL-S.jpg

i-wcXWnSb-M.jpg

i-fJ9hd2v-M.jpg

i-9RTXNQm-M.jpg

Best, Eric -
Eric: It is through posts such as this that newbies like myself really learn the ins and outs of appreciating fine hats. I always believe in letting a skilled artisan have good deal of leeway in his creation; and I think this example confirms that Mr. Gannon is operating at a high caliber. IMHO, the willingness to take chances is one of the criteria that separates a great designer from a good one.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Quick update: I have been wearing my Gannon Traveler lots!

i-qZGcpBq-M.jpg

The light weight felt has been fun to mold. I spent some time waiting for a meeting to start this morning. Sitting in a chair I worked the crown molding it and changing it. Excellent felt as it took whatever my fingers made of it. Not any fancy, dancy "bash" or shape, but enjoying the ability to change from casual shape to another.

How are your Gannon fedoras doing? I hope they are getting much head time.

Best wishes folks, Eric -

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm loving mine ... I should wear them more than I do

waiting on my dark moss SBG clone ... Michael says it is still about a week away from being started ... that actually makes me happy because it says he is busy ...

I inquired about the light weight felt of your silver mist ... he said he will get the dark moss as thin as possible but probably won't be as thin as the silver mist because for some reason that felt is just naturally thinner from the start

I already have plans for a fourth :)

love that hat Eric ... looks great on you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot