Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You know it's serious when the bowlers get their own room!

I'm about to post sellers pics of my first ever bowler over in what hat are you waiting on.

Yep. Batch-O-Bowlers. But no Gannon bowler...not yet!

20230928_195455.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
My recent Pork Pie (the Triple Deuce), and Raul's recent western, inspired me to go with a Gambler (or modified Gambler) on my open crown Gannon western. I think it turned out most excellent. It is still a few days away in the post, but here a couple of pics from Michael.

Before
GW Orig.jpg
After
GW1.jpg GW2.jpg

Last month I was up on Michael's queue for a new hat, but the Charcoal color I wanted has not been available (from Winchester) for a while. I bit the bullet and ordered a Charcoal 95g FEPSA beaver body and now I have another superb Gannon. The specs are 5.25" open crown (bashed to a modified telescope with a very faint front pinch) and +3.25" (3 5/16") brim, with black ribbons and liner, and a burgundy sweatband. I am very, very pleased!
Raul
View attachment 548876 View attachment 548878 View attachment 548877

chivaceae

New in Town
My recent Pork Pie (the Triple Deuce), and Raul's recent western, inspired me to go with a Gambler (or modified Gambler) on my open crown Gannon western. I think it turned out most excellent. It is still a few days away in the post, but here a couple of pics from Michael.

Before
View attachment 550206
After
View attachment 550207 View attachment 550208

Randy,

That is a stupendous Gannon Gambler! Of course, I am very partial to this style, now having two Gannons bashed roughly in that style (both on FEPSA bodies, one Flagstone and one Charcoal). Now I need another one in a "light" color :)

Raul

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Raul. Gannon just keeps getting better and keeps adding to his style choices.

Randy,

That is a stupendous Gannon Gambler! Of course, I am very partial to this style, now having two Gannons bashed roughly in that style (both on FEPSA bodies, one Flagstone and one Charcoal). Now I need another one in a "light" color :)

Raul

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
My Gannon is finished! It took two work weeks to get it done - no idea if that’s typical time or not.

The felt is 100% beaver. The color is dark brown and in every photo I’ve seen the felt looks to have a green hue. Michael assured me that’s not the case and it has a red hue, so I am a little anxious about what exactly it will look like.

This is meant to be a working hat so the color is not as important as it might normally be. I did trade in some durability by asking Michael to go ahead and thin the crown out. I wanted to experience his full skill set and his vintage crown effect is so famous that I could not pass it up.

The ribbon is mahogany with a char-brown “peekaboo” rectangle in the middle of the bow. Again, I’m not totally convinced about those color choices judging from the photo but there’s no way to know until I actually have it in my hands.

Michael did compliment the mahogany ribbon choice which he says suits the dark brown very well. He also happened to have a wind cord that matched the ribbon color, so that was lucky.

I’ll describe the dimensions here once the hat gets in. There was some complication with the crown height and I’m not sure exactly how high it is (at least 5 1/2, for sure). The ribbon is two inches.

Working with Michael was a real pleasure. He has great communication and verifies anything he feels uncertain about. He sent a lot of photos and answered every question I had. Throughout the entire process, I felt very confident that he was really paying attention to my desires and concerns.

Naturally I am incredibly excited to receive this hat, but it has to come all the way across the U.S. so I’m going to have to dig in for a long wait.

20231006_595630.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
On my tablet screen, it looks almost charcoal. Beautiful hat and that mahogany ribbon looks divine! Can't wait to see what you do with it. And that trek won't take as long as it seems.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Phil!

The ribbon selection proved most difficult and Michael even offered to send out samples along with a bit of felt. I didn’t want to delay the process, however, and finally chose the mahogany only because it was the only two inch ribbon he showed me with shades of red.

I’m not sure what the char-brown rectangle in the center of the bow adds. The photo gives me almost a Germanic vibe.

This will certainly be an adventurous unboxing!

chivaceae

New in Town
I like the piece (rectangle) of contrasting color on the bow in your new Gannon. I requested similar accents of color to the bows in both of my Gannon hats (both made in July and September of this year). They are a nice little/subtle touch, and they always draw me a smile when I look at them.
Raul

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I like the piece (rectangle) of contrasting color on the bow in your new Gannon. I requested similar accents of color to the bows in both of my Gannon hats (both made in August and September of this year). They are a nice little/subtle touch, and they always draw me a smile when I look at them.
Raul
Thanks Raul! I would love to see some photos of yours.

I knew my hat would turn out with a conservative feel so I was looking for ways to subtly make it more vibrant. I asked Michael to add an accent stitch and wanted to do the bow rectangle but had a darn difficult time choosing the colors.

I can’t help it that I love dark brown hats. I even think I look better in grays but nothing gets me excited like a dark brown. Same for my coffee: all I want is dark roast!

chivaceae

New in Town

I knew my hat would turn out with a conservative feel so I was looking for ways to subtly make it more vibrant. I asked Michael to add an accent stitch and wanted to do the bow rectangle but had a darn difficult time choosing the colors.

I can’t help it that I love dark brown hats. I even think I look better in grays but nothing gets me excited like a dark brown. Same for my coffee: all I want is dark roast!
Nathan,
My hats are posted in this thread, page 216 (post# 4319) and page 221 (post# 4416).
Regards,
Raul

hambone71

Practically Family

Dark Roast is where it's at!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Dark Roast is where it's at!
Right? I’m not into coffee bouquets at all. I want all the fruity flavors burnt to hell with maybe a touch of chocolate. And that’s pretty much how I like my hats (mine, not other people’s).

Except bone. I also love bone.

How’s the Gannon doing you Phil? Is it getting much head time?

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
Right? I’m not into coffee bouquets at all. I want all the flowery flavors burnt to hell with maybe a touch of chocolate. And that’s pretty much how I like my hats (mine, not other people’s).

Except bone. I also love bone.

How’s the Gannon doing you Phil? Is it getting much head time?
My Gannons haven't gotten significant head time yet, though it was cool enough today. They're brushed and ready for service in the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to wearing them very soon!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran