Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Vintage series are good everyday wearing jackets that you don't have to worry about (I've owned many). Materials are cheaper and sizing seems true. The Alpha Replicas are made out of much better textiles & are closer to originals.

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
I own a l2a/ b Vintage series mix. Its a nice, US made jacket, but its the wrong colour for the originals, and has a few little things such as an alpha label that wouldn't have been on the original. It is however great for what I use it for- as a day to day beater than I'm not scared to hurt. I'm still looking for an original early l2b and I'll probably eventually go Buzz for a proper L2A repro.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I bought a few L-2B/MA-1 jackets a few years back when they were relative inexpensive. It is much harder to come by these days as even a simple 70s' L-2B can set you back for over a 100bucks (US).

If someone want a brand new top of the range MA-1 replica, I guess this is one to go for right now.

http://toys-mccoy.shop-pro.jp/?pid=90330205

awacs

New in Town
I found one MA-1 that it looks like original and I say, it looks like, because I am not sure.
Imagen de archivo.jpg

As you can see in the image, the tag looks like a issued one. However, three things make me doubt:
1) First, the tag includes the logo of Alpha Industries Inc. This is correct in the jackets that they sell now, but I am not sure when they change from the tag with only the name (without any logo) to the tag with the logo.
2) The tag says that the jacket was manufactured in 1998. However, I know that the last two modifications of the expect was in 1988 (MIL-J-8279G) and 1990 (Mil-J-8279G AMENDMENT-1). I understand that maybe it is one of the last one made for the USAF. But I guess that the USAF shifted to the CWU in the middle of the 90´s, so it is strange that they continue buying this one.
3) Following with the military specification, in principle if it is from the 1990 in advance, the specification is Mil-J-8279G AMENDMENT-1 and not the simple Mil-J-8279G from the 1998. However, I don´t know if Alpha continues using only the name Mil-J-8279G for the real Mil-J-8279G AMENDMENT-1, as I didn´t find any photo of a tag for the years 1990 in advance.

As you can see, there are a few questions about the tag. However, in general looks like at least one very good replica, because it come with the NSN, MILSPEC and SPO number. If somebody, with more experience in this jacket, can solve it for me, I will really appreciate, because it makes me more confident to buy it.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
As you can see, there are a few questions about the tag. However, in general looks like at least one very good replica, because it come with the NSN, MILSPEC and SPO number. If somebody, with more experience in this jacket, can solve it for me, I will really appreciate, because it makes me more confident to buy it.

This looks interesting but it looks like the commercial copy than an issued jacket. I am not sure about a few things seen here in the picture, one is that the liner is not orange? Maybe if it is for ground crew? Secondly, why is the tag not in the pocket like in many of the late versions?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
From what I've seen, there was a period where Alpha's nylon jackets and their civilian jackets were more or less the same. I'm talking about the very last military nylon jackets in the 1980s. I've seen some of this crossover with the N2B jackets, but as far as I can tell only for a few years, if that.

bn1966

My service issue Alpha N-2B (90's) is indeed similar to the civvy one I owned & the ground pounder MA-1 was very much like the commercial offering.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
My service issue Alpha N-2B (90's) is indeed similar to the civvy one I owned & the ground pounder MA-1 was very much like the commercial offering.
It makes common sense that for a while they just put different tags on the same jackets, but only later, once the military was 100% nomex, did they start to alter their products for the commercial market and its different economics parameters.

awacs

New in Town
I don´t know if it is a military version or a replica series. I have to say that the jacket does´t have the alpha logo in the pocket on the arm. However, the main tag it is a bit strange. It looks like a mixture between a military version and the civilian. The tag looks like in size and form equal to the one that was used in the CWU-45/P nylon jackets, for civilian market, more than the typical tags that I saw for the year 1988, which are smaller and without the logo. However, it does not show the made in USA, which I think that it is obligatory by law in the civilian objects. In addition, it has the different numbers typical in the military versions, including the production year.

On the other hand, the production date, 1998, it is a bit strange. I show photos of several ground crew MA-1 purchased by the USAF in 1988 and some of them even in 1989. In addition, the USAF modified the standard again for the MIL-J-8279G AMENDMENT-1 in 1990, which is the one in which the jacket has to be made if it is from 1998 and a military version. However, I think that the USAF standardized the CWU 45/P to the ground crew before of that date. If the date was 1990, 1991, 1992 or even 1993, I can believe that it is a military issued jacket and the tag is the new version that they used for that year. However, 1998 is a bit late for the USAF to purchase this jacket. These is the main reason because I asked you. I could´t find any information of the MA-1 issued for the USAF after earlier 90s. Maybe, you have more information about that.

As you say, it possible that it is the same jacket than the military version, but for the civilian market as a replica version, or it is one of the last military issued jackets. Is it possible that the Alpha industries customer service has information about this?

I am not sure about a few things seen here in the picture, one is that the liner is not orange? Maybe if it is for ground crew? Secondly, why is the tag not in the pocket like in many of the late versions?

You are right about the interior. In 1988 the USAF modified the military specification for the MA-1. As this jacket was left only for the ground crew, they USAF decided that the interior in orange was not necessary. In this way, in the MIL-J-8279G specification, the interior was in the same color than the exterior.

In the MA-1 ground crew version, as the interior part is not used to make signals in the emergency case, the tag was moved from the pocket in the arm to the more standard place, in the center of the interior. Both things are correct in this jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Anyone have any experience of tge current Alpha line? On their website, the Bloochit model MA1 looks quite nice, though I'd prefer slash pockets with no flaps, early sixties style. (I'd really prefer a sage lining too, but for an MA1, Alpha are more on the money for me.) The other one I've been looking at is the "VF59" - vf stands for vintage fit. Looks good, but I hear the inner pockets are 'wrong'?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have any experience of tge current Alpha line? On their website, the Bloochit model MA1 looks quite nice, though I'd prefer slash pockets with no flaps, early sixties style. (I'd really prefer a sage lining too, but for an MA1, Alpha are more on the money for me.) The other one I've been looking at is the "VF59" - vf stands for vintage fit. Looks good, but I hear the inner pockets are 'wrong'?
I've had a few of their recent jackets go through my hands and they're very well constructed, better than their older USA made jackets by a mile. Materials tend to be thin, insulation thin, and the fit on their non-classic MA-1 are long and snuggish (which is actually good for tall thin people). The quality is there, although the weight isn't, but wool insulation would add $100 to price so I don't blame them for sticking with polyfill. If you want a good 50s or early 60s style MA-1 then you pretty much have to go Buzz, unless you can find one of those oddball Japanese Alpha jackets which I posted pics of a few pages back in this thread.

I believe the blood chit jacket is the same as the classic jacket, except with the flag sewn in. I would just get the regular jacket and save money. They've never updated the photo.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I like the current Alphas. I have a black B-15 and MA-1. Tbh, the MA-1 is a stellar jacket. I wear that MA-1 and my Buzz more than my leathers. The MA-1s sizing is pretty forgiving-I have a L but could slip into a M for a closer fit.

Edward

Bartender
I like Alphas too. I miss the weight of the wool, but it doesn't affect the look. I might just hold off and look for a Buzzdown the road. Might well end up with the Alpha take on the N3A, though (in replica blue, so really more an N2A, but....).

Marv

A-List Customer
wow the rep blue alpha in xlarge turned up yesterday 1 day after the order went in and it is a stunning jacket fit is perfect love the colour infact love everything about this jacket . really happy cheers for all your help and advice folks

Hey Stu,

How's the Alpha holding up, I have been looking at a new Alpha MA-1 recently from Flightstore and just noticed your post from earlier in the year.

Maybe you could help me out on the sizing, you mentioned you got an XL and from the looks of your measurements we are about the same size 5-11 and a bit, 44 inch chest and 35 inch waist.

As fo the fit, I am not looking to want to layer so just to be wearing either a shirt or t-shirt underneath so wanting the jacket to fit comfortably without looking too bulky/puffy as I now this type of jacket can be (not interested in the Alpha slim-fit version) so from your experience, would you suggest a Large or XLarge as it seems I may just be in the middle of the two size.

Any help would be great.

Marv

A-List Customer
Here's a couple of photos of a Weintraub L-2A repro in new condition (with Tags), not sure when it was manufactered so maybe NOS as I can't seem to see it being produced any more when searching the net but could be wrong.

It's a pretty decent repro, well made with good stitching and solid harware - smooth zippers and strong press studs.

bn1966

Here's a couple of photos of a Weintraub L-2A repro in new condition (with Tags), not sure when it was manufactered so maybe NOS as I can't seem to see it being produced any more when searching the net but could be wrong.

It's a pretty decent repro, well made with good stitching and solid harware - smooth zippers and strong press studs.

Very Nice! I'd like one in XL :) don't think they are still available...good score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner