Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac Lachlan?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Anyone heard of this brand? The one I'm looking at is a 'Fifteen', has what looks like the Borso vent system in the front of the sweatband. It's also treated with DuPont 'Quinlon', which the tag claims is a rain repellant.

Nice hat, from the looks of it...hoping I can snag it.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Thanks, Art! If I get it, you'll probably see it shortly after, since I don't like the block much.

Looks like a Cav edge on it, but I can't be sure.

It is a very nice hat with an interesting tartan liner. You should be happy with it.
The fifteen level of felt is nice too. A fifteen dollar hat in those days was a decent hat---especially from Maclachlan because they had to compete with the big boys and did so by giving you more for the money. That has been my experience anyway. :D

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MacLachlan

If you find a MacLachlan hat that has some silly mutterings of insignificance in the lining or sweat somewhere that says "Silver Beaver 50", don't buy it. Instead, just let me know, 24/7. ;)

Colt

Familiar Face
Re: MacLachlan

Originally posted by Andykev
If you find a MacLachlan hat that has some silly mutterings of insignificance in the lining or sweat somewhere that says "Silver Beaver 50", don't buy it. Instead, just let me know, 24/7. ;)

Hey, I found one of those last year on ebay bought it for $22 plus S/H. Is one of my favorite hats! Will try and post some pics in the next few days. What is the significance of the "Silver Beaver 50"? The vent system is interesting.

Colt

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Just finished reblocking and repairing a couple of McLachlan's for our member Dusty Rhodes and he asked me to post them for your enjoyment!!
Enjoy

Dark Olive
112_1275.jpg

Light Grey

112_1276.jpg

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
You Da man!

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
Just finished reblocking and repairing a couple of McLachlan's for our member Dusty Rhodes and he asked me to post them for your enjoyment!!
Enjoy

Dark Olive
112_1275.jpg

Light Grey

112_1276.jpg

Art,
Thanks so much for putting them up. They look great! Can't wait to get them on my head!
Dusty

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Re: Re: MacLachlan

Originally posted by Colt
Hey, I found one of those last year on ebay bought it for $22 plus S/H. Is one of my favorite hats! Will try and post some pics in the next few days. What is the significance of the "Silver Beaver 50"? The vent system is interesting.

Colt

The Silver Beaver 50 is one of the tightest and best felts in vintage I have EVER seen. The "silver beaver" implies the best part of the beaver..and the "50" is the whopping price of a hat back then. (Think Stetson 20, Dobbs 15...etc.)/

You have a gem if you truly have one of these and I would love to see the pics. I have a sweet coffee brown and a light gray both in wonderful full crown and wide edge. The brown has a Cavanagh edge, the gray is bound. These are very very very sweet hats.

Fedora

Vendor
The Silver Beaver 50 is one of the tightest and best felts in vintage I have EVER seen.

I have not seen that grade of felt, but my finest hat is a 7x stetson, dress weight in brown. Probably close to the same type of felt from what it sounds like. Fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TIGHT beaver.....obviously Mercury finished

Chime in here....the hats I have are better than the Stetson 100's. Better than the beaver body I have seen from your supply.
Not softer, but TIGHT. Very fine felt. I have heard that MacLaughlan hats were independant so they made quality out of the finest materials and supplies.

I sure wish there was some history to this wonderful company.

The highest I have so far aside from vintage Borsalinos is the Cavanagh Fifty. I understand what you mean by tight felt but not necessarily soft felt. The Cavanagh has a Cavanagh edge with a superior liner and sweatband. Cavanagh was not independent at that time though. It was linked to Dobbs and Knox. That did not mean it was tied at the waist to these other companies though. Cavanagh Ltd. stayed separate for quite a while.
I think companies such as this, and even more so with Maclachlan, had to give you more for the money in order to survive. Competition over price could have been fierce but giving a buyer more for the money could easily have swayed a few buyers with the $50 to spend. I would have spent it on the best hat I could buy for the price. The small companies may have not made a million hats a year but what they made was quailty so that was their concentration. Their niche was the market for not only price but best quality.

Regards to all,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
My hat showed up yesterday! I may be getting a digital camera over the Christmas weekend, so look for pictures soon.

The fit is PERFECT. I got the block to look a bit more attractive, but Art will definitely have to work his magic on it when I get the chance. There's one small abrasion on the crown, but thanks to the dark color, it's not all that noticeable. The crown seems to have some taper to it, but I suspect that's the block more than any shrinkage due to age or the elements. The liner and tags are in great shape.

The felt is amazing, definitely the best quality of my three good hats. The feel mkes me think that it's a VERY closely trimmed velvet. I don't see a grain or bias in it, and it's incredibly fine and smooth. It's THICK, about 3/32" thick. And the brim does have a Cavanaugh edge! I prefer raw edges and short(2-3/8") brims, but this one I like. My only dislike is that this is definitely the heaviest hat that I have, after wearing it for a while, I had to take it off because it was getting a bit uncomfortable due to the weight.

The Wingnut said:
My only dislike is that this is definitely the heaviest hat that I have, after wearing it for a while, I had to take it off because it was getting a bit uncomfortable due to the weight.

That is good. It will strengthen your neck and give you broad shoulders. ;)
"The 'Heavy Hat' will help add inches to your neck and shoulders. It is the newest thing in exercise equipment." :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy