Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

magnoli u-boat/Dr Who Jacket

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Bad Wolf Jacket

If you're looking for excrutiating Doctor Who detailing, you might consider this site:

www.thebadwolf.com

I have two of these jackets, and I am thrilled with them. Pricey, but they'll outlast me. Sturdy, stylish, understated. Really a quality product.

That said, everything I've read on this site and seen on Magnoli's site tells me that his products are first class as well--I'll be buying some suits from him after I get my tax return!

Best,
Trog

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Bad Wolf and Wested Are Different

Bad Wolf and Wested are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY not the same jacket. I originally purchased a black Bad Wolf and a brown distressed Wested. The Wested is a quality jacket, but the Bad Wolf was just so much better that I had to get their brown. Better leather, better details, better overall effect when worn.

I gave the Wested to my teenaged daughter, who has since worn it in the Mideast and Asia on trips. She absolutely loves her "world traveller" jacket now that it's been cut down to her size, but she's not getting my Bad Wolf until I get really fat or die!

My Wested was an "off the rack" large, but I bet, given their superior customer service, that the Wested folks would cut it down or lengthen it if you needed.

All are great choices, and great companies, but my preference remains with Bad Wolf.

Take my uncompensated word of mouth recommendation for what it's worth.

Best,
Trog

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Not sure if anyone here has one of my U-Boat jackets, but there are a couple of written reviews on my site about this jacket:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=34&products_id=143

I'm actually in the process of tweaking this model to make it more Doctor Who accurate (if that's what you're interested in). All current and future orders will be made with these new details. The photo on the site should be updated within a month or so. I like the new design so much, I'm making myself one of these with a wool lining for my new winter jacket! ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Quality!

Well, my preference here is pretty clear, but I know your jacket will be a top quality product. Anybody wavering in a decision about puchasing from you should do a search of this site. There are no negative comments about you or your wares! And you're dealing with a tough, forthright crowd!

You'll be my source for suits after my tax return arrives and my middle age spread retreats an inch or two more! I browse your site on a regular basis, just to drool!

Best,
Trog

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I own one of Indy's Open Road jackets, which is my everyday wear while it stays cool. It's great, and I get nice compliments on it. I was just wondering what people thought of his U-boat. I'm looking forward to the new pics.

taggers

New in Town
Hello gang, here's a bit about my Wested Dr Who coat.

Firstly, whilst I like a bit of 'Oo, I am not interested in dressing up like him, not any more than is necessary for a well dressed chap, anyhoo.

I have an old French double breasted leather coat, that I love to bits, but it is too big, it appears to have been designed for a Wookiee. I wanted a big hefty leather coat, without all the compromises of vintage. I love vintage, but it's nice to have something new and "just yours".

It took about 6 weeks to get it, I've talked about Wested customer service elsewhere... but make no mistake this is a lovely thing, it smells, feels and weighs exactly what you want. Here it is, out of the bag:
photo.php
and
photo.php

The "distressed cowhide" is surprisingly nice, feels silky, and soft, but seems to mark easily. I'm guessing it might be vegetable died, it has a very open texture, but doesn't seem to be waterproof.

I liked it, but if you know what you are looking at, it's a bit fakey, and I need a coat that's going to work for it's living, so I got the pecard out:
photo.php
and
photo.php

I've done it a couple more times since then, and it's settled down to a dark chestnut colour, with a slight waxy feel and a deep, matt finish.

I love it, it's comfortable looks "right" like a "new" 1940s coat and is presentable anywhere. Some of the details, notably the buttons, the half-belt and wrist straps and the sort-of-bellows seams on the back are spot on.

Is it perfect? Well, nah. It would be perfect perhaps in horsehide, with a wool lining, extra buttons on the wrist straps and a full double breast. But that's not a £165 coat (in this world), so I have to say, I'm mighty chuffed!

taggers

New in Town
And here it is with Chewbacca's car coat:
photo.php

You have to say the period detailing is more interesting on the Wested(!). It's like those French tailors weren't trying. Anyway the leather is very similar, it's a redder colour on the old one (common on vintage, rarely replicated) and the French one has a more pronounced "coating" to it, the Wested is more "raw" looking than real, old leather, but I think it stands up well.

Apols. for the camerawork, I'm strictly 35mm, but I hope it gives an impression.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
taggers said:
And here it is with Chewbacca's car coat:
photo.php

You have to say the period detailing is more interesting on the Wested(!). It's like those French tailors weren't trying. Anyway the leather is very similar, it's a redder colour on the old one (common on vintage, rarely replicated) and the French one has a more pronounced "coating" to it, the Wested is more "raw" looking than real, old leather, but I think it stands up well.

Apols. for the camerawork, I'm strictly 35mm, but I hope it gives an impression.

NEVER apologise for being "strictly 35mm"!:eek:fftopic:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Magnoli U-boat jacket and love it. In fact I sold my Wested to buy it. Never regretted it. Any specific questions?
Johnny

leather.jpg

leather1.jpg

91_Mustang

New in Town
Hello Johnny,

I'm a newby here and I've been researching what my best options would be for buying a good quality Doctor Who jacket at a reasonable price. The Bad Wolf is way out of my price range so I've just about narrowed it down to the Wested and the Magnoli. Since you've been fortunate enough to own them both can you provide me with more information on the key differences betweeen them? Also, I'd like to know if yours is made of goat or cowhide and how it compares to the Wested leather. Lastly, if you have a chance could you post some additional detail shots of your jacket? I would very much appreciate any helpful advice you can offer.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Maybe You Can Buy Mine

Mustang: Apologies for posting publically, but you are too new for the system to allow you to receive PMs yet.

Do you wear a coat in the neighborhood of a 43R? If so, I can sell you my old Bad Wolf. I got bigger through the chest and bought a larger one. I was going to wait for colder weather and sell it on eBay, but what the heck.

91_Mustang

New in Town
Hi Troglodyte, I actually joined the Fedora Lounge recently just so I could try to get more information from experienced owners of this style jacket. It's amazing how much I've learned since I've been here. As you're probably aware the Doctor Who/U-Boat style isn't that common over here in the USA. I'm drawn to it because I'm a Doctor Who fanatic and because I'd like to own a nice, stylish, and unique leather jacket that I can wear in the fall and spring.

Your Bad Wolf sounds pretty close in sizing but it might actually be a little big. I'm a 42T in my suit jacket sizes so I guess it would depend on how much tolerance Bad Wolf uses in his measurements. The screen accuracy of the Bad Wolf would be a definite plus over the other options I've been considering. I've been thinking of ordering a standard Wested Large in Black Cowhide in the near future but I'll try to hold off until I have generated enough postings to send you a PM.

I also would like to apologize to everyone for posting this publically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy