Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makeup tutorial

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
This is not because I feel like I have a vintage makeup routine down and needs to toot my own horn, but Dahliaoleander asked for one.

(sorry for not smoothing my hair down, but it was a quick snap I took this morning)

DSC01748.jpg

Base: everydayminerals loose foundation in Light and intensive coverage. I first use a smaller brush, almost like a big eyeshadow brush to target spots and undereye circles. Then I use a kabuki brush for the rest of the face.

Blush: MAC satin blush in Dame, just swirl it on the cheeks.

Eyeshadow: A matte light beige shadow on the lids and in the crease, I do not go all the way up to the browbone since I find it too much (for me) for this I have a palette from Hard Candy called Old Skool and I used the light color. Then I use a light, matte brown in the crease, I used MAC wedge here.

Liner, mascara & brows: I use MAC liquid eyeliner in black since I really like the control the felttip gives. I start by the outer corner and build up the 1/3 of the line there and the rest is just one fine line right into the corner. I never curl my lashes, even though they are short and downwards poking, but I just use lots of layers with Guerlain Maxilash in Wonderblack. For the brows I use MAC 'spiked' eyebrow pencil, the one you have to twist out. Since my eyebrows are thin I overdraw then under the brows, because mine sit really high naturally and I have to be carefull otherwise I get that VERY surprised look. I use very little mascara on the bottomlashes, but if I don't use some, it looks too 60's for me.

Lips: MAC spice lipliner, I just like the way it looks than when I use a matching red lipliner. My cupidsbow is naturally very pronounced (kinda 20's looking) so I extend the cupidsbow instead. I fill up with MAC russian red lipstick and top off with Russian Red lipgloss. When I want a slightly drker lip (like in my avatar) I use Makeup Store's lipstick in Devil (it's a swedish brand).

And yes, I am a MAC-oholic.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
Ideas and tips to be more 'spot on' is greatly appreciated.

It's a lovely look for you. Your eyebrows are gorgeous and so is your "Crawford smear" lip style! I've never been able to get that down. For a really vintage look, though, ditch the gloss and leave your lipstick matte.

Smuterella

One Too Many
although i'm sure Marilyn used a little gloss for photos, matte is more forties - slightly glossier looks did start to come in in the fifties - at least according to a few sources.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Oh and darhling, i think you look amazing, so much so that i'm going to copy you and get the same foundation

Lillemor

One Too Many
Generally, matte looks best in photos but gloss can make lips look fuller. If I know I'm going to have my photo taken I usually wear matte make-up but apply a bit of gloss over my lipstick. But you do look amazing.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I normally wear my lips matte, but I just felt for some shine yesterday :) The Crawford smear, that's the description I couldnt remember! And yes, thats what I was tryin to do.

Smuterella, everydayminerals is really good and very inexpensive for what you get. BTW how is your eye?

Smuterella

One Too Many
the eye is improving, definitely. i've been rinsing it with saline which seems to help and I'm sure by tomorrow it will be fine. If not i've found out where the eye hospital is and will spend tomorrow waiting around there. what joy!

i just ordered the every day minerals free tester kit and a kabuki brush, i'm very interested to compare it to the lily lolo products I've been using

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
the eye is improving, definitely. i've been rinsing it with saline which seems to help and I'm sure by tomorrow it will be fine. If not i've found out where the eye hospital is and will spend tomorrow waiting around there. what joy!

i just ordered the every day minerals free tester kit and a kabuki brush, i'm very interested to compare it to the lily lolo products I've been using

Let me know how they are comparet to Lily Lolo, which I'm also using at the moment. I think Jane Iredale's mineral powders are much better than the LL, so I'd like to find something better that isn't as expensive as JI.

everyday minerals, are they a US or UK based company? Prefer ordering from the UK because of the tax.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Laura - the company is US based, but their kits and products are so cheap that when I have ordered some it has never been stopped or charged in th danish customs. When you have found out what color of foundation you want, you can get it in 4 different versions/finishes : glo, intensive, matte and somethingsomething, which I find great!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Laura - the company is US based, but their kits and products are so cheap that when I have ordered some it has never been stopped or charged in th danish customs. When you have found out what color of foundation you want, you can get it in 4 different versions/finishes : glo, intensive, matte and somethingsomething, which I find great!

That sounds great, I will order from them the next time I run out. I might have to ask you for some tips regarding the colors cause I'm pretty lost when it comes to figuring that out. You use light, but which one, I see they have warm, cool, golden, beige, buff, olive... I hardly know the difference. lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
That sounds great, I will order from them the next time I run out. I might have to ask you for some tips regarding the colors cause I'm pretty lost when it comes to figuring that out. You use light, but which one, I see they have warm, cool, golden, beige, buff, olive... I hardly know the difference. lol

The Light color is from the Golden range, it might be too yellow for some though, I have a very warm skintone.

I suggest you order some free samples which last you quite a while, that way you can find your perfect shade. first go by the tone of your skin and then try to find different colors within that/those skintones that suit you.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Thanks for the foundation tip (using the smaller brush under eyes) I would never have thought of that! You look beautiful by the way - your eyebrows are amazing!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
JazzBaby said:
Thanks for the foundation tip (using the smaller brush under eyes) I would never have thought of that! You look beautiful by the way - your eyebrows are amazing!

Thank you! I never use liquid foundation or concealers any more, if I do, I allways go back to mineral foundation - and you can layer it much better than regular foundation, and it doesn't look cakey.

Lillemor

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: Darhling, how the hell do you get around the Danish customs?! They've been known to even open my private packages from relatives in the U.S:!

I may give mineral foundation a try after all when I've used my last bottle of liquid up. I just read in some Danish magazine that liquid foundation was best for oily skin which is what I have.

I tried swirling on the blusher, it helped. Thanks!:) I learnt to apply blusher in the 80s-90s so I've still been doing that sweeping motion which is what is usually recommended for a round face but I can make it look more natural if I still keep it right under my cheek bones. I just look even wider faced if I apply blusher on the cheekbones.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Let me know how they are comparet to Lily Lolo, which I'm also using at the moment. I think Jane Iredale's mineral powders are much better than the LL, so I'd like to find something better that isn't as expensive as JI.

everyday minerals, are they a US or UK based company? Prefer ordering from the UK because of the tax.

Laura, I've heard Jane Iredale recommended but I haven't seen it. Is it something I can ask for at the Matas counter or do I have to go to a dept. store beauty counter?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
Laura, I've heard Jane Iredale recommended but I haven't seen it. Is it something I can ask for at the Matas counter or do I have to go to a dept. store beauty counter?

No, it's not available at Matas. Here in Copenhagen it's available at certain skin clinics and in a shop called Pure Shop that carries organic skin care. You can order from them, they'd probably be glad to ship you some, but I'd recommend you get it online since it's very expensive in the shop. It's quite good (but unfortunately also expensive), better than the other two brands I've tried, Lily Lolo and Youngblood, eventhough Lily Lolo is up there (and at 1/3 of the price, Lily Lolo is the best buy!). Youngblood is crap, you don't want that (Magasin sells it).

And actually, I don't think that liquid is better for oily skin. Mineral makeup is quite drying on the skin, so someone with dry skin might experience it as being too dry in winter-time. I often have to dab some moisturizer on top of my mineral makeup, as it just absorbs facial oil. I've also used rosewater spritzer on top and that works like a charm to freshen it up during the day. I've also heard some of the ladies here take a cotton ball and soak it in ice cold water and dab on top of the mineral makeup to set it, that would probably work well too. Also, you need to remember to let mineral makeup set a little on the skin before it looks good, because when you first apply it, it can look a little powdery but once it's set it looks natural.

Anyhow, I definitely think mineral makeup is better for oily skin!

Mary

Practically Family
You look fantastic!!
I think you should hold a crashcourse on make-up for me. I never had make-up when I was young. My father didn't like it and found it to be vulgar and american. Now I use some but I'd love to be able to make it as spot on as you. Will you, please! I'll nag at you constantly at the Copenhagen get-togheter till you give in!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda