Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mark Moye - Columbia, SC Police Dept.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
As I think has been said earlier this sort of alleged fraud is very difficult to prosecute anyway. Businesses get into trouble all the time, and regrettably customers are left out of pocket without actual fraud taking place.

Whether the law should demand a higher standard from companies than it does is another matter. But capitalist societies are orientated toward profit, and business people are given a lot of freedom to make those profits. Freedoms which they are sometimes able to exploit past the point of actual criminality without any real prospect of conviction.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
The same situation presents itself in prosecutors' offices in Europe and the UK. I doubt there is any real difference.

I think there are some differences. Here, whenever you are scammed, you file a report to the police and at some point, the state acts on its own initiative, regardless the cost or chances of success.

However, I'm not claiming that one approach is better than the other. Actually, I really like the fact somebody is considering the cost for taxpayers there in the USA. I think it is not fair for the victims but probably it is more efficient.

Here the courts are totally swamped. It is quite common to hear that a prosecution of a ten years old case started today [huh]

Regarding the UK, I went to the college there. I have some notions of Common Law and I remember a teacher warning us, exchange students, that the law system was pretty different than in the continental Europe and quite hard at some points.

Anyway, I'm not an expert because I've never been into breaking the law :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy