Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

Royal Crown Man said:
:eek:fftopic: I live near Palm Springs, CA and am searching for authentic looking suits from the 30's and 40's.
The pursuit if original vintage suits knows no bounds, it covers thrift stores such as a local charity or Salvation Army, American Veterans, who ever is operating one. Antiques stores may occasionally have some. Specialty stores such as LA's "The Way They Wore" have some. People will go to estate sales. In the events section you'll find posts on a twice a year vintage fashion expo in Santa Monica and San Francisco.

However, failing that or if you are a size that is not regularly found, Matt Deckard has done a lot of research and can replicate, to a really good degree, vintage suits. And that's what this thread is all about.

Royal Crown Man

New in Town
Thank You

I just resently discoved my passion for the 1930's and 40's, in learning about my grandfather who passed away before I was born. He was a ww2 vet that quit school, lied about his age, enlisted in the navy and fought in the battle at normandy. At looking through old photographs and during my research, I fell in love with the entire era, the 20's through the 40's. I especially love the timeless taste in fashion. I have contacted Mr. Deckard and am awaiting a call back. Thank You for your help Sir. - Jay

Congrats on getting the hat into the line. I can only imagine how many hoops you had to jump through to get the features and quality you wanted and still offer it at that price. But you may wish to correct what is apparently a typo ...

Construction
• fur felt
• roan leather sweatband
• high untapered crown
• 1.5 inch brim
• Bound edge

Looks more like a 2.5-inch brim to me.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Hey, it's me in the suit! Hm, wish I had shaved that day. :D

First, I want to say that it was a pleasure dealing with Matt in this whole process. The suit itself is exceptionally built- though 13 oz is a heavier fabric than anything I've had before, you don't really feel it. It's extremely comfortable to wear. The way the suit is constructed, the weight is very nicely distributed. The look of it is great too, something you really have to see it in person. I'm not sure you can totally see this in the photos, but there's a slight bright contrasting line on either side of the red strips that really brings it out. There's also some great lining in the jacket, I'll see if I can get a couple photos of that. In any case, I'm looking forward to getting years of use out of it. Oh, and already thinking about my next one. :D

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Lexybeast said:
Hey, it's me in the suit! Hm, wish I had shaved that day. :D

First, I want to say that it was a pleasure dealing with Matt in this whole process. The suit itself is exceptionally built- though 13 oz is a heavier fabric than anything I've had before, you don't really feel it. It's extremely comfortable to wear. The way the suit is constructed, the weight is very nicely distributed. The look of it is great too, something you really have to see it in person. I'm not sure you can totally see this in the photos, but there's a slight bright contrasting line on either side of the red strips that really brings it out. There's also some great lining in the jacket, I'll see if I can get a couple photos of that. In any case, I'm looking forward to getting years of use out of it. Oh, and already thinking about my next one. :D

Dear Lexybeast,

Could you please be so kind to post some more pictures from the back and from the side? Maybe also some action shots?
I would be most delighted to see those!

Thanks in advance

El Guapo

New in Town
Those are sweet looking suits! I have been putting off getting a suit for a long time, but now I found the source that fits my style. Just joined and I love this place already!

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Matt, how long does it usually take to complete a suit? How many fittings do you usually have?

Are there any other Matt Deckard Apparel customers out there who are willing to share some pics of their suits? I am particularly interested in side and back views as well as action shots and details like buttons and buttonholes! (I already saw your actions suit video on youtube - well done Matt, I was just wondering what it looks like in a regular lounge suit).

Thanks in advance!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It takes about 5 weeks, though depending on the details it could take 6 to 7.

Takes one fitting and a few photos. If there is anything special I'll draw out the design, pattern and all for the cutters. One fitting and photos for posture and placement of where I think certain details will look best on you are all we really need to get the suit to fit perfectly. Most of my customers have been far from me so It's not always easy to get those pics. I'm still waiting for Dave Vanian from the Damned to send me the images of the purple plaid peak lapel 3 piece action back to send me pics from London.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:

Takes one fitting and a few photos. If there is anything special I'll draw out the design, pattern and all for the cutters. One fitting and photos for posture and placement of where I think certain details will look best on you are all we really need to get the suit to fit perfectly. Most of my customers have been far from me so It's not always easy to get those pics. I'm still waiting for Dave Vanian from the Damned to send me the images of the purple plaid peak lapel 3 piece action back to send me pics from London.

Psst Matt! How are you arranging fittings for people from far off lands?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:

Matt, just a minor quibble: In the world of custom clothing, a "fitting" normally refers to a meeting with the tailor or cutter where the clothing--in various stages of completion--is fitted on the customer's body. The initial meeting where the tailor takes the customer's measurements is not normally referred to as a fitting. So, if I understand your process correctly, your customers don't normally have a fitting. Which, while it isn't how most bespoke tailor work, is ok as long as people know what they're getting.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I was expecting to pay full price, plus US-UK postage, but if there's a freebie on offer, so much the better. :)

And I'm better looking than Vanian, too. (See user pic)

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:

Thanks! So that means we would meet once in order to take measurements and specify all the details. Photos are taken during that session as well. Afterwards, it takes 5-7 weeks, and in between, there is one fitting. At what stage do you do your fittings? Are things like pockets already cut and sleeves already attached? Because once they are cut and something is off, nothing can't be done anymore.
Do you have more fittings if the customer is hard to fit?

Thanks!

ps: do you have any more pictures?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I'll be putting up better pics of these trousers as well as the shirts on the site soon. What do you think?

Model #3 trousers
Made in a 15 oz. cream wool flannel
l_07e644f35147496282bfe9423bbfe400.jpg

Some customers have preferred it with belt loops and suspender buttons on the inside, I like it with no belt loops and suspender buttons on the outside like on my pair above.
l_6a9d4957d18d8cd9ca5264bf6b240d65.jpg
l_31fca4353b29780aa0515cd0e6dff19e.jpg

Hi Matt -

Are these trousers available to buy on the site yet? Will it be possible order them giving measurements* and pictures? What's the proposed pricing if going for the exact specs of the ones you're wearing?

mike

Call Me a Cab
I hear a lot of people talking about how the tag line for your company is, "The Deckard's in the details!" Can you either confirm or deny this?

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Actually, no fitting are needed. We take enough information from the first meet to make you the suit.

Do I understand you correctly that, you meet once with the client, take measurements and photos and that's it? You don't meet at least one more time to make adjustments?

I've had bespoke suits, shirts and pants made and don't see how this is possible...

On average a bespoke suit entails three to four meetings. During the first meeting measurements are taken and the second time the base stitched garment is fitted. After that you are usually looking at one or two more fittings to dial everything in.

Then once the suit is finished a good tailor will tell you to wear it a few times and come back for fine tuning, once it has settled and had a chance to mold itself to your body.

Can you clarify?

thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav