Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Med-brown Stetson Whippet/ribbon wrinkles

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
I acquired this on eBay recently. The hat ribbon showed in the eBay posting as being pretty wrinkled, front and rear, as if it had been shoved down inside another hat. When I received it, the hatbox insides had been replaced by a taped-together circle of corrugated cardboard, too small in diameter to accommodate the hat, so that is what wrinkled the ribbon. The hat was otherwise clean and in great shape, so I determined to smooth out the ribbon myself, and read all the posts here about how to do that, and assembled my steam iron, a flat knife blade, etc. In preparation, I dampened my fingertips with tap water and ran them over the wrinkles--lo and behold, the ribbon absorbed the water and tightened right up--no more wrinkles, without any other action needed! I imagine I was just lucky. Here are a couple of "before" shots:

Before, Front:
beforefront.jpg

Before, Rear:
beforerear.jpg

And here are the "after" shots, as well as one with the hat on my head:

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

moustache

Practically Family
I'm envious!!

Love the colour of that hat!! And it looks good on you too!!!
What a superb job at restoring that ribbon and hat to perfection!!!
Kudos to you!!

Jim in Vancouver,Wa

nulty

One of the Regulars
WOW

A Whippet 7 1/2 LO... an oppurtunity like that doesn't happen every day...

Thanks for showing us the improved ribbon.. I'm going to try that technique....

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OOOOOOOOH

That is some hat. It looks pretty danm fine on you too. Congratulations:eusa_clap

MattC

A-List Customer
Great ribbon smoothing

I was one of the hot flat knife guys...And that is a gorgeous hat....I'm not sure I agree that Whippets look great on everyone...I've never been too sure about mine...but the hat looks great on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner