Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN of the LOUNGE

Edward

Bartender
Always the bridesmaid, never the groom!

Last weekend was spent in the old country, performing my duties as a Bridesman at the wedding of a dear old friend to whom I am "honourary brother." Test shots taken when checking the suit was okay the day before the wedding:

Uploaded13Nov07015.jpg

Uploaded13Nov07016.jpg

That's my own hat in the photos. As most folks nowadays, they opted not to hire hats, so I took my own over in case the groom wanted to use them for photos. As it turned out, it was a little small (I suspect he's probably a 59 or a 60 rather than my 57), but it was fun to take these test shots with it while making sure the outfit worked. The coats were the most beautifully thick and soft pure wool with a herringbone pattern in the weave. The groom wasn't keen on traditional striped trousers and so opted for the black to match the tails. Overall, I think the outfit came together very well. As Bridesman, my duties on the day were to support the bride who, along with her sister, has been a dear friend for over a decade now. On Bride's instructions, I stayed with the boys the night before and made sure they were all dressed properly - a morning of tying cravats, delinting jackets, pinning on flowers..... damn, but i wish I could do that for a living.

And the full effect on the day, (photo taken at the end of the night, reception over, just before the Bride and groom left; bride and groom in the rear, chief bridesmaid, the sister of the bride, in front):

Uploaded13Nov07044.jpg

They can't be seen in shot, but we all wore our own shoes and cufflinks on the day, which was great - made the whole thing feel just a little bit more organic, less 'uniform.' Of the three weddings I have been involved in, this was by far my favourite in terms of the clothes. The only real bummer was when it came time to take the clothes off and have to send them back. One day, I have promised myself, I will possess immaculate morning dress of my own..... course, then I'll have to find somewhere to wear it, but hey....

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, guys! I love how the hat looks in the photo (I wish we'd all had the chance to wear 'em on the day.... oh well. Maybe I'll find some girl one day who'll agree to go through a mock ceremony just so as we can wear the clothes....... lol ). It's a modern hat, a Christies. Best price I could find online anywhere when I was looking for it was £109, £150 seems to be the upper end. I snagged this one selling as new on eBay. The tag is still in it (I suspect it was worn once for Ascot with the tag still attached and then sold on). Didn't seem a bad deal for £50, especially given how ropey most of the actual vintage ones selling at that price are! I love vintage hats, but I'm not going to pay over the odds for something that's not really wearable! lol

Rooster, all the fashionable devils have retractable horns these days, don't you know!

Edward Lucifer Marlowe

lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Simply smashing!

You wear the style well, Edward. I haven't been to a wedding where morning dress was worn in nearly ywo decades. Thanks for reminding me how very nice it was.

Edward

Bartender
carter said:
You wear the style well, Edward. I haven't been to a wedding where morning dress was worn in nearly ywo decades. Thanks for reminding me how very nice it was.

I was really pleased with it. I did have a small input in nudging the bride that way, not least in the matter of swallow tails over a square cut, the former being much more flattering than the latter on those of us who are not so svelte as once we were! lol Interestingly, I'm seeing far more square cut frock coats at weddings these days. It seems they're now perceived as less formal than the tails - funny how these things turn around, isn't it? There's something so beautifully flattering about a well cut tailcoat, though - I can't see why anyone would opt for the square instead! The thing I love most about the outfits we all wore, including the ladies, is that these will not date. You know how so many wedding photos you look at and there are nods all over to the fasiohnable styles of the day..... The Bride's parents were married in the 70s, and they too had a very classic look. Not sure if the wedding was in the evening (very unusual in Ireland), but the photo in their front room of their mother and (alas, deceased for the past two years now) father has him in full white tie. The only giveaway for the decade, as I recall, is his hair and tache. You just can't go wrong with the classics.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Smashing, Edward! The cocked eyebrow and slight smirk make it.

And Big Man, I must say, if I ran into you on the street with that ensemble and expression, with or without the heater, I would run until my shoes wore out and then continue barefoot.

Regards,

T.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
It was finally cool enough the other morning to need a coat.
DSC02344_a.jpg

Big Man, When I saw this picture, the first thing that came to mind was, "You'd fit right in with the Ma Barker gang!". That's really a very good vintage-style photo. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
M Tatterscratch said:
... And Big Man, I must say, if I ran into you on the street with that ensemble and expression, with or without the heater, I would run until my shoes wore out and then continue barefoot.

Regards,

T.

Don't worry. Now that I know you are a member of the Fedora Lounge I wouldn't be chasing you. :)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:

Big Man, When I saw this picture, the first thing that came to mind was, "You'd fit right in with the Ma Barker gang!". That's really a very good vintage-style photo. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks. But I'd be on the other side from the Barker Gang. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav