Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military hats

MCPRE

Familiar Face
I love my Vietnam era Boonie, works great for sun control and looks great in an open Jeep!
852_pic_2.jpg

Ant then there is my Ted Nugent cowboy hat - yee haw!
099a96_l5_p1_600x600.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Quite a hat, the last one! You know, I had read years ago that Ted avoided military service during Vietnam by..."soiling" his pants while at the military processing center, and acting screwy to boot. Is this just a piece of urban legend? Sorry to be :eek:fftopic:.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Interesting, Ive never heard this. I like his video on "call me crazy, I'd rather see the car-jacker dead".

Naphtali

Practically Family
Since I no longer use M-16s, M-79 grenade launchers, C-4, or M-118 - now you know my age - my perspective on non-game hunting camouflage garments is to avoid them as an affectation. The hats shown, or their clones or function-alikes, are available in non-camouflage colors.
Parenthetically, camouflage for big game mammal hunting (deer, elk, bear, etc.) can be a hodgepodge of Blaze Orange and other [colors], so long as the garment(s) is wool or other non-UV reflectant material. These mammals view Blaze Orange as a shade of gray. If it is UV reflectant, though, it'll glow like a "wise guy's" sharkskin suit.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
I dont hunt anymore, just wear them for recreation, any of you guys who have served, thanks for your service.
I found a web site that confirmed this about Ted, although he states that he regrets his decision and is a strong supporter of the military by going overseas to show support in Afghanistan etc...Here is a snip:
As patriotic as Uncle Ted claims to be, he pulled a nasty stunt to evade Uncle Sam during the Vietnam War. In a July 15, 1990, Detroit Free Press interview, Nugent crowed about how he managed to dodge the draft. He claims that 30 days before his draft board physical, he disavowed personal hygiene. The last ten days he ingested nothing but junk food and Pepsi, and with a week to go until the physical, he stopped using the bathroom altogether. When the big day came, he had been living in excrement-caked and urine-stained pants. Always the hero, however, Nugent reassured the Free Press, “But if I would have gone over there, I’d have been killed, or I’d have killed all the Hippies in the foxholes. I would have killed everybody.”

He also was quoted as saying he blamed the Hippies for divorce, drug abuse, abortion and crime.:D

Burton

One of the Regulars
MCPRE, great information on TN and with that I need to do a little bit of research. I have no problem with folks and their political views but do have a problem with some people and their sense of consistency. I served in the 70s and have a real tough time with all the fair weather patriots we have these days. I don't forget how I was treated then (both good and bad).

Back to the original subject military headgear I wore a variety of covers from the USMC issue to Army berets and have to say I prefer civilian hats.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Burton said:
.......and have a real tough time with all the fair weather patriots we have these days. I don't forget how I was treated then (both good and bad).

It's usually fairly easy to spot a chickenhawk, isn't it? Sorry for being :eek:fftopic:

hatflick1

Practically Family
WHEN I GOT DRAFTED, I HAD TO REPORT TO THE FEDERAL BUILDING IN PHILADELPHIA FOR THE INDUCTION PHYSICAL. THERE ANY NUMBER OF MEN WERE DRESSED AS WOMEN, OR RUNNING AROUND SHRIEKING, OR BABBLING, OR DOING WHATEVER ELSE THEY THOUGHT WOULD PREVENT THEM FROM BEING TAKEN BY THE ARMY. I DID NOT SEE MUCH EVIDENCE THAT THEIR ACTS WERE VERY EFFECTIVE. THE QUIET ONES WITH FLAT FEET HAD A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF AVOIDING SERVICE.

AS FOR HATS, WHEN I GOT TO NAM, THE ARMY HANDED ME A LIFELESS OD BASEBALL CAP. ALTHOUGH THE OFFICIAL UNIFORM CAP, FEW TROOPS WORE IT UNLESS STATIONED IN THE REAR SOMEWHERE. UNOFFICIALLY, MOST GRUNTS WORE THE BOONIE HAT, MANY HAD MAMA SANS SEW UNOFFICIAL TABS SUCH AS TUNNEL RAT, SNIPER, HOBOS, 40TH SCOUT DOG PLATOON, ETC., AND STITCH THEM ONTO THE SLEEVE OF THEIR JUNGLE FATIGUE SHIRT RIGHT ABOVE THE DIVISION/BRIGADE INSIGNIA OR ACROSS THE FRONT OF THE BOONIE HAT.

AT THE BEGINNING OF MY TOUR, OUR LT. MADE US REMOVE THE UNAUTHORIZED TABS. BY THE FOURTH MONTH IN, HE WAS WEARING ONE ON HIS BOONIE. SO IT GOES.

WELCOME HOME, ALL WHO SERVED!

MCPRE

Familiar Face
I have unfortunately never served, I grew up in the Carter era, wasnt drafted. I could only hypothesize on what I would have done.
My Father and 4 of his brothers served in WWII and just after. Three Uncles received Purple Hearts, one lost his life in France after surviving D-Day.

ambulatingreader

New in Town
I was a "grunt" with the 4th Infantry in 1968. I still have my boonie hat, with my CIB pinned in front. I washed it when I got home, and it shrank too much to fit. When I was in a Recon platoon, we wore non-issue black cloth berets. When home on leave, I always preferred my "flying saucer" brimmed hat to the overseas cap. Walt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy