Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Military tuck" for shirt

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I never had anyone actually show me how to do it, so I had to kind of learn from reading..e.g., does the pleat at the side face forward or back? :)

I do try to use it, but the constant stand-up/sit-down that I do all day makes it work its way out (I attend a LOT of meetings in a lot of different buildings all day). My preference is to wear custom shirts - no need to do a military tuck on those. I just need to go buy a LOT more custom shirts :)

Heck, what's money, anyway? LOL!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The military tuck creates pleats which face out. The inside fold is toward the spine. The pressed in crease points outboard.

If you are wearing shirt suspenders you can make the tuck and use the clips to hold them closed at the bottom. This works best with a second person.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
The military tuck creates pleats which face out. The inside fold is toward the spine. The pressed in crease points outboard.

If you are wearing shirt suspenders you can make the tuck and use the clips to hold them closed at the bottom. This works best with a second person.
lol Remember standing on your footlocker while your buddy halped you tuck your shirt for the Bn Co's inspection?! Then you had to walk around helping others while barely lifting your arms so you wouldn't untuck. Ah, good ole MCRD; what memories!

Mindraker, Marine Corps dress shirts have the three creases down the back. We would take the outer two creases, and pinch them out, then pull all the extra material from the front and sides and tuck it behind that crease. It ends up looking something like a biswing back on a jacket. As Carebear notes, you could then clip the bottom of the pleat with shirt/sock suspenders to keep the crease from pulling out and keep your shirt tucked in. The shirt/sock suspenders had the added advantage of pulling hair out of your legs as you march, keeping that lean, mean fighting look on your face! When they occassionally popped free and snapped into your crotch, it just added to your surly, "Don't mess with a US Marine" expression. Very useful items, those!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the base were attacked during an inspection they could be used for tourniquets or as a last-ditch slingshot weapon (using brass buttons for ammo) to defend the colors. :D

Keeps your shirt looking strac.

Mindraker

Familiar Face
Mojave Jack said:
The shirt/sock suspenders had the added advantage of pulling hair out of your legs as you march, keeping that lean, mean fighting look on your face! When they occassionally popped free and snapped into your crotch, it just added to your surly, "Don't mess with a US Marine" expression. Very useful items, those!

Haha! Thanks, guys.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Horrid contraptions, those.

The worst is sitting through a long church service or brief(hah! anything but!) trying to find just the right comfortable bend to hold your knee at while they dig into the backs and sides of your legs. Keeps you awake!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The Wingnut said:
Horrid contraptions, those.

The worst is sitting through a long church service or brief(hah! anything but!) trying to find just the right comfortable bend to hold your knee at while they dig into the backs and sides of your legs. Keeps you awake!

I tried them once (I'm a civilian and always have been), and I hated them. I liked that they kept my shirt tucked nicely, but the made my boxers ride up, irritated my legs, and made going to the bathroom a major pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy