Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Too warm for Woolly Pullies here at the moment, but have any of you chaps in the Southern Hemisphere been able to wear them lately?

Yes it is too hot here at the moment. I do recal some years ago when I was in Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand, seeing a chap in an army green Woolly Pully, I have also seen them in surplus stores in the USA, they do seem to be a garment that is worn all around the world.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes it is too hot here at the moment. I do recal some years ago when I was in Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand, seeing a chap in an army green Woolly Pully, I have also seen them in surplus stores in the USA, they do seem to be a garment that is worn all around the world.
Yes, I have several American friends who wear them. I have also come across them in South America, when I was in Montevideo in 1991 (June - October, their winter).

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I recently ordered, and received, a US mil-spec wool one. I usually wear ~36", but ordered a 50" because I wanted it to fit very large and plan to wear it with many layers underneath for outside winter work.

I found that the body still fits me reasonably snugly, which might stretch some with use, but the size 50" sweater earned me one that goes down to my thighs and has an arm length that a gorilla would appreciate.

Still, it is VERY THICK and HEAVY and I'm sure that it will take good care of me in sub-zero temperatures.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I recently ordered, and received, a US mil-spec wool one. I usually wear ~36", but ordered a 50" because I wanted it to fit very large and plan to wear it with many layers underneath for outside winter work.

I found that the body still fits me reasonably snugly, which might stretch some with use, but the size 50" sweater earned me one that goes down to my thighs and has an arm length that a gorilla would appreciate.

Still, it is VERY THICK and HEAVY and I'm sure that it will take good care of me in sub-zero temperatures.

Good morning,

Sound like a great sweater you have just bought. I too normally go for 36 or 38 in, but my old boss a couple of years ago gave me one of his that he no longer wanted and was quite new, he was a size 48 in, but as it is a ribbed knit it, does expand and contract depending on what you wear underneath. I have worn it some winters with another big sweater underneath and it works very well indeed. Regarding the long length, that is not a problem as it keeps your lower back and backside warm and does not ride up exposing an area that would otherwise get cold. You can also tuck it into your trousers/pants for extra warmth too. The long sleeves can also keep your hands warmer, or if turned back at the cuffs will give extra warmth to the lower arms.

These are excellent garments indeed.

Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The weather in my part of the UK felt quite suddenly colder this morning and on & off during the day too, I was glad therefore of one of my Woolly Pullys which I have worn for most of the day, the first time that I have needed a pullover for quite sometime. Mind you I was defrosting our freezer 1st thing. It's ironic as I have just come back from a long weekend in the north of England in Yorkshire and it was warmer there than it is down here.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

Congratulations on your purchase. Which colour did you choose? Have you owned WPs before?
As a long-term wearer, I can confirm that Stevieboy is right in his earlier reply. The length of the body is useful in the cold because you can pull the wool down over your backside either beneath or on top of your backside (try not to fart on it too often!).
The cuffs are meant to be turned back and are very stylish when you do this.
I'm afraid I am a 48-50 and I find the 50 easier for breathing and for stretching the wool as described above

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Good morning,

my old boss a couple of years ago gave me one of his that he no longer wanted and was quite new, he was a size 48 in, but as it is a ribbed knit it, does expand and contract depending on what you wear underneath. I have worn it some winters with another big sweater underneath and it works very well indeed.

Yes, I inherited an old one from a friend when I was at university - to add to my collection, he said! It was a few sizes too big and I occasionally wore it over another thick sweater. It worked very well.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on your purchase. Which colour did you choose? Have you owned WPs before?

This is my first one. I've know of them and I believe this thread piqued my interest. I perused the surplus stores but only found badly abused ones that had obviously been washed and wouldn't have fit a child, so I bought a new one. I chose black.

The excess length will not bother me a bit, as I am thin and cold-blooded. Too much of a good thing is an even better thing.

(Wool sweaters are one of my vices and I more thrift store treasures than any normal person should own. A sweater over a sweater and under a sweater is sometimes how I work outside in the winter!)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
(Wool sweaters are one of my vices and I more thrift store treasures than any normal person should own. A sweater over a sweater and under a sweater is sometimes how I work outside in the winter!)

I have exactly the same 'vice' and am completely unrepentant about it!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
(Wool sweaters are one of my vices and I more thrift store treasures than any normal person should own. A sweater over a sweater and under a sweater is sometimes how I work outside in the winter!)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think I have the same "Vice" too and I often wear at least 2 sweaters in the winter as well.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

Yes, I think I have the same "Vice" too and I often wear at least 2 sweaters in the winter as well.[/QUOTE]

Wearing two sweaters in winter can be great. I have also occasionally worn a woolly pully over pyjamas on cold nights or first thing in the morning

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, I think I have the same "Vice" too and I often wear at least 2 sweaters in the winter as well.

Wearing two sweaters in winter can be great. I have also occasionally worn a woolly pully over pyjamas on cold nights or first thing in the morning[/QUOTE]

I have done that sometimes too.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Do others on this site have such positive experiences of these sweaters?

I, too, love these sweaters. Always liked the style, (especially crew neck). And always good to meet another one who appreciates them.

To others maybe interested in getting their first one; if ya don't mind a piece of unsolicited advice, beware when ordering them on the internet because often times the sizes given are not corresponding to American adult sizes.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I, too, love these sweaters. Always liked the style, (especially crew neck). And always good to meet another one who appreciates them.

To others maybe interested in getting their first one; if ya don't mind a piece of unsolicited advice, beware when ordering them on the internet because often times the sizes given are not corresponding to American adult sizes.

Good to meet you too - and I'm sure your advice to American buyers is sensible. I too prefer the crew necks. How many of them do you have? They become a bit compulsive. I have them in several colours and alternate them during the cooler months. Roll on autumn, or as you would call it Fall.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Greetings, I have been wearing these for years. I have one on now in fact as in the past couple of weeks here in the UK the early mornings and later evenings have been cooler, so a sweater is required.

I agree with what you say about varying sizes, I have had that problem when buying not only sweaters, but other items of clothing too. Different shops and manufacturers seem to size apparel in different ways, a small or 36 inch chest in one shop maybe classed as medium or 40 inch elsewhere. It maybe a good idea to measure yourself and then tell the supplier or shop you are buying your sweater from your exact size size and hopefully they will give you one that is a good fit. that's what I tend to do and it usually works out fine.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Unfortunately, only 2. An olive one and a blue one. Unfortunately, they're not very commonly found in stores here in the States, so I've had to resort to ordering them online. But I love them.

Other than blue, black or olive, what colors do they come in?

It's surprising in a way that they are not found more often in stores in the States, because your country has a strong military tradition as well as a strong masculine outdoor culture. I've certainly seen them in the States and a couple of my American friends wear or have worn them.

To answer your question about colours (colors to you), the navy blue and olive which you have are the most popular. However there is also black (as you mention), air force blue, dark green, dark grey (gray), dark brown, sand, maroon - I'm just listing the ones I have! You can check out the full list by going to a UK firm (mentioned by a few other posters on here): www.outdoorknitwear.com Click on the Woolly Pully section. They are incredibly efficient and I know that they deliver quickly to the US.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Unfortunately, only 2. An olive one and a blue one. Unfortunately, they're not very commonly found in stores here in the States, so I've had to resort to ordering them online. But I love them.

Other than blue, black or olive, what colors do they come in?

Good morning,

I recall when I was in Boston Mass a few years ago, I took the train to a town not far away called Salem and wandering around there I came across a surplus shop that had a number of proper green army woolly pullies for sale.

You my be interested to look at the Fisherman's Sweaters thread on this forum, where a firm called "Sou'West Chunkies" is mentioned, they are based in Cornwall, in South West England and do at very good rates indeed, very heavy big chunky round/crew neck sweaters, they will also also make them as a roll neck/turtle neck too. I have some and they are great. I am not sure how to put the internet link here, but if you google the name, it will come up, the chap who runs the firm is called Peter.

There is also a forum on this FL site in the World War 2 section about White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters( it also features white/navy blue submariner roll neck sweaters too) which you may find of interest.

As well as the great Outdoor Knitwear site mentioned above, which also sell other heavy sweaters and submariners sweaters, you could also google, "Surplus & Outdoors" site, they are in Kidderminster in the English Midlands as well as "Silvermans" in London's East end. "Grand Prix Legends" and "ACE Cafe" which are really motor biker sites, but infact also have good knitwear sections too. (Sometimes on English websites, sweaters are also listed as jumpers)

Rgds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic