Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As a matter of interest, do you chaps call your wool garments sweaters, jumpers or another name? I tend to use sweater or pullover - although I was brought up to call them jumpers. A friend calls them simply 'woollies' and I am influenced by him as well.

So many names for one item of clothing.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
As a matter of interest, do you chaps call your wool garments sweaters, jumpers or another name? I tend to use sweater or pullover - although I was brought up to call them jumpers. A friend calls them simply 'woollies' and I am influenced by him as well.

So many names for one item of clothing.

I have often thought that too, I think sweater comes from the USA infact. Jersey & Guernsey and very rarely Alderney all originate from the Channel Isles, I Understand Nelson in the late 1700 & early 1800s saw Guernseys and intoduced them into the Royal Navy. I think too that Jumper which seems very much in use these days also has navel origins, I think that was a close fitting top that the sailors used to wear and the name has caught on. Woollies has been used for ages too. The names Pullovers and slipovers speak for themselves, slipovers in the UK tends to be for short sleeved, pullovers/sweaters. I tend to use Jersey or Pullover.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
www.outdoorknitwear.com is owned by the original manufacturer of the woolly pulley they supplied brigade quartermasters with them for years, this i know as i used to work for them in their warehouse in leicester until i retired.

They are still made in leicester by them as i have family still working for them, but they dont supply the british army who now buy them cheap from china.

You will be pleased to learn that yesterday I ordered some woolly pullies from Outdoor Knitwear, just awiting for them to come.

Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
If anyone from Outdoor Knitwear in Leicestershire is reading this, I just wanted to say thank you for the very prompt & superb service when I ordered some woolly pullies and a workware cardigan. They only took 2 days to arrive and all fit well & look great.It's good to deal with such a pleasant company and support British industry & products.#
Kind Rgds.

Panache

A-List Customer
Had a great find in a second hand shop on another Wooly Pully today in blue and remembered this thread. For the fun of it I took pictures of my two

Here's my black one

008.jpg

And the blue one

006.jpg

I suspect the blue one is older as it has buttons on the epaulettes whereas the black one has velco fasteners (the black one also has a patch on the right breast).

Great looking sweaters and you can't beat them for staying warm on a chilly day!

Cheers

Jamie

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Had a great find in a second hand shop on another Wooly Pully today in blue and remembered this thread. For the fun of it I took pictures of my two

Here's my black one

008.jpg

And the blue one

006.jpg

I suspect the blue one is older as it has buttons on the epaulettes whereas the black one has velco fasteners (the black one also has a patch on the right breast).

Great looking sweaters and you can't beat them for staying warm on a chilly day!

Cheers

Jamie

Good morning,

Those are good photographs and great sweaters, I guess even in your location of California, they come in handy for cool mornings & evenings, are you in the San Francisco area? I am in London UK, and we have had one of the coldest and longest winters for many years where such knitwear has been very necessary. It's only become spring like here in the past few days. I note you are wearing kilts and other Scottish looking regalia, is your family from Scotland? Rgds Steve.

Panache

A-List Customer
Steve,

I'm in the South Bay which is not quite as cool as San Francisco. Our Winter this year has been a bit harsher than normal hence I have gotten a bit more use from my Wooly Pullys than normal. As for my Highland Attire, I am of Scottish descent (Galbraith) and a Scottish Country Dancer. I have always been drawn to highland attire but never got around to aquiring any kilt and kit till I was in my late thirties. One of the things I find interesting about it is that highland attire hasn't changed a great deal from the 1930's and 1940's. It is one of the few new vintage styled apparel that has stood the test of time

Cheers

Jamie

Good morning,

Those are good photographs and great sweaters, I guess even in your location of California, they come in handy for cool mornings & evenings, are you in the San Francisco area? I am in London UK, and we have had one of the coldest and longest winters for many years where such knitwear has been very necessary. It's only become spring like here in the past few days. I note you are wearing kilts and other Scottish looking regalia, is your family from Scotland? Rgds Steve.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Steve,

I'm in the South Bay which is not quite as cool as San Francisco. Our Winter this year has been a bit harsher than normal hence I have gotten a bit more use from my Wooly Pullys than normal. As for my Highland Attire, I am of Scottish descent (Galbraith) and a Scottish Country Dancer. I have always been drawn to highland attire but never got around to aquiring any kilt and kit till I was in my late thirties. One of the things I find interesting about it is that highland attire hasn't changed a great deal from the 1930's and 1940's. It is one of the few new vintage styled apparel that has stood the test of time

Cheers

Jamie

Good morning Jamie, Yes the traditional Scottish Attire does not really change over the years apart from perhaps the material and manufacturing process. It is a great area up there, wonderful scenery, especially in the Highlands and far West & North. I did a tour there last summer, it was great, there are also some spectacular railway journeys that are well worth doing, some even by steam either on small preserved lines and in the far west there is a summer service from Fort William to Mallaig on the main line, fantastic. Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Beware what just happned to me, I was just about to add another comment re this Military woolly pully sweater thread, but got seen by the manager, I have been hauled into the big bosses office and received a severe reprimand for using the internet and emails at work for my own use. (I don't have that at home)! whoops, guilty as charged, fully my own fault. Must be more careful next time!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Good morning Jamie,
The sweaters look great and complete the picture with the beard and the kilt. My woollly pulllies are crew neck - apart from one black and one dark blue which I sometimes wear with a tie. The Army green crewneck is perhaps my favourite. I too have some Scottish heritage - relfected in my dark auburn hair (thin on top) but have not invested in highland attire - at least not yet - but the combination with the woolly pully certainly tempts me. Best Wishes, Aidan

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Oops, just noticed my above thread went a bit haywire>

I think I have seen a few more chaps wearing these woolly pullies in recent months, looking very smart too. Maybe they are having a bit of a come back, not that they ever went away really. It's late May now and with our very strange weather I am still wearing mine most days. Rgds Steve.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
The "Wholly Pulley" first came into use in the Marine Corps in the mid 80's. It had no pockets (Marines don't put their hands in pockets) or pen holder or anything like that. There were specific guidelines regarding the wear of the sweater. It was warm on cold days but I wasn't a big fan of them. They made me itch so I didnt enjoy wearing them.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The "Wholly Pulley" first came into use in the Marine Corps in the mid 80's. It had no pockets (Marines don't put their hands in pockets) or pen holder or anything like that. There were specific guidelines regarding the wear of the sweater. It was warm on cold days but I wasn't a big fan of them. They made me itch so I didnt enjoy wearing them.

The pockets on mine are on the chest, used for note books etc. and the pen holder on the sleeve, very useful additions.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
Beware what just happned to me, I was just about to add another comment re this Military woolly pully sweater thread, but got seen by the manager, I have been hauled into the big bosses office and received a severe reprimand for using the internet and emails at work for my own use. (I don't have that at home)! whoops, guilty as charged, fully my own fault. Must be more careful next time!

Shouldn't you be working?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Does anyone wonder what happens to some of the members, they seem to disappear, for example, I have seen a number of entries on one or more threads, EG This one, by a member, then they suddenly stop posting. I do hope they are ok. Curious. Rgds Steve, from a very wet & cool London, England.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Does anyone wonder what happens to some of the members, they seem to disappear, for example, I have seen a number of entries on one or more threads, EG This one, by a member, then they suddenly stop posting. I do hope they are ok. Curious. Rgds Steve, from a very wet & cool London, England.

Hello Steve
I have been very busy over the past few weeks which is why I haven't logged on. However I did give you my email address some time and told you I wanted to keep in touch - but no email came!
I'm pleased that it's wet and cool - it's an excuse to wear woolly pullies.
Best Wishes, Aidan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner