Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The post pandemonia economic consequence wrought commercial realty notes is shaking sidewalks world wide.
A tsunami will strike Wall Street and Fed bank supervise practice and its monetary policy. All the Gilts dump post Brexit
Sterling crush margin calls last year but a mere taste of hell. :eek:
For a moment, Brer Fox, I thought that was a Surrealist poem. We are of course living in surreal times.

It has been a good day for wearing a Royal Navy Woolly Pully.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
A Celt today. Cottage knit fisherman dyed sapphire blue. Expertly done with precise detail achieved through focused
disciplined sureness I can only marvel at and appreciate all the more. Crew neck no nonsense working man attire
with a deliberate looseness in the stitch, so heat escapes the torso. Ingenious and a favourite throw on yarn that
goes with eveything. And can be worn inside. :)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
A Celt today. Cottage knit fisherman dyed sapphire blue. Expertly done with precise detail achieved through focused
disciplined sureness I can only marvel at and appreciate all the more. Crew neck no nonsense working man attire
with a deliberate looseness in the stitch, so heat escapes the torso. Ingenious and a favourite throw on yarn that
goes with eveything. And can be worn inside. :)
Is your sartorial choice anything to do with the Rugger?
Arans and fisherman’s sweaters are great and I have a few of them, but I am addicted to WPs I’m afraid! Still wearing RN today - the full works this time - patches, epps, pen pocket.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I tend to scavenge the local sweater scene when out on the road be it holiday or work, and Ireland is a most
favourite stomp because of her cottage needles. And similar stock is availed along the American east sea coast.
New England is tops. Rugger stich work and tradition rhyme coastal cottages. I eschew commercial machine made
for this sort of sweater. San Francisco is another rich harvest with indigenous Mexican weavers toting wares and wear.

Haywire Hat

New in Town
I can vouch for https://outdoorknitwear.com/en/.
Their submariner is the business. Previously I had a 'modern' submariner, made from Merino. It was nice but the neck stretched and the look was not very authentic.
In comparison the Outdoor Knitwear one is easily washable, authentic shape, slightly itchy at first (but that fades).
And if you want something warmer, there is the Beerenberg Oiled Wool Pullover...heavier and toasty warm for cold winters.

Peacoat

Bartender
Their submariner is the business. Previously I had a 'modern' submariner, made from Merino. It was nice but the neck stretched and the look was not very authentic.
In comparison the Outdoor Knitwear one is easily washable, authentic shape, slightly itchy at first (but that fades).
And if you want something warmer, there is the Beerenberg Oiled Wool Pullover...heavier and toasty warm for cold winters.
Yes, they sell the real WP. Not as thick as in the 70s, but still a nice sweater. Yesterday was WP weather here. Today will not be. Our last WP day may have been yesterday.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, they sell the real WP. Not as thick as in the 70s, but still a nice sweater. Yesterday was WP weather here. Today will not be. Our last WP day may have been yesterday.
I had been meaning to ask you whether it was still WP weather in the Mid-South. Here it still is, except for the past two days, but it returns I am very happy to say from tomorrow!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Welcome aboard. As well as my collection of WPs, I have a couple of wonderful submariners from Outdoor Knitwear!

Peacoat

Bartender
I had been meaning to ask you whether it was still WP weather in the Mid-South. Here it still is, except for the past two days, but it returns I am very happy to say from tomorrow!
Temps this morning in mid to upper 40s. Probably last day for the WP.

And thank you for differentiating between the Deep South and the Mid South. Entirely different animals.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Temps this morning in mid to upper 40s. Probably last day for the WP.

And thank you for differentiating between the Deep South and the Mid South. Entirely different animals.
I know my US geography and the accompanying cultures quite well.

On this theme, I read a book last year on Hoodoo in the Mid-South, with a focus on Memphis.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Gerry-Douglas-Sherwood-at-Needles-Lighthouse-Engine-Room.jpeg

British lighthouse keeper, 1980s or possibly 1990s? Unfortunately we no longer have manned lighthouses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner