Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern military boots

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
That's probably the company. The boots are in storage so i can't check them directly. Sure sounds close.

Yeah, my Bellevilles were like sticking my foot in a pillow, too. I couldn't stand it and ditched them as soon as the DI allowed us to. I wore my jungle boots until I got my cadillacs (all-leather speedlace boots). I dislike padded boots unless we're talking about extreme cold; I prefer to have the boot mold to my foot.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I've always preferred jungle boots when I served and even now when I play paintball from time to time. During the winter though, I just toss on my Timberland's. You can put Jungles through hell and they'll hold strong. Just don't get Korean knock offs that some nickel and dime surplus stores sell.

Schweitzer

New in Town
If money is an issue for you I recommend german military boots from the 1980's:
Very robust and heavy, thick rubber sole, virtually indestructable and waterproof: norwegian welted/veldtschoen construction, tongue sewn on to the upper leather. Available in four widths!
Depending on your size you can still find them fairly easy on German eBay. I bought several of those for around €15 a pair (in unissued condition and including shipping!). The only downside is that it's cheaper to buy a new pair than have them resoled! ;)
21n38dg.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I agree with the Lone Ranger on the matterhorns. Very warm/comfortable. In my case I had to go 1 full size down for a good fit. Notice the red lining. Very nice
IMG_1397.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1398.jpg
[/IMG]

Burton

One of the Regulars
Hugh B. has a great answer and understands your question better then most of the folks who really haven't done anything who are trying to answer your question. I was very pleased with the Blackhawk boots I wore in Iraq. They are not vintage but they are great boots.

Schweitzer

New in Town
Yeah, but DnSchlng is from Pennsylvania, not from Iraq.

And he's looking for boots which hold up in all types of weather/conditions/and terrain.

Burton

One of the Regulars
No slight meant but I find a lot of folks here on FL are dressing up in costumes and don't really need their clothing, footwear to hold up to extreme conditions. As Hugh B has stated most of the issue military boots are not really up to the task and hence groups like the SF ditch them ASAP. I know.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Boots...ruggedallweatherstompingnoskidwaterproof etc. There is probably a difference in the way a military man on exercise or worse expects his footwear to perform as opposed to joe weekender slopping through the brushbrackenmuck for a few hours at a time.

I have a pair of Italian para boots [lace to toe 12" leather lined] that I heard were supposedly cursed by their intended wearers. I? I'm having no problems at all with 'em. I suppose if I had to have them welded to my feet for 24 hrs I might get a little cranky. For johnnynotoes joe they are performing well. It's winter here and I walk approx. 4 klicks a day in 'em. So I guess they're acceptably waterproof. So far. Fair comfortable. Not the things for chasing after wild boars through swamps perhaps but sturdy stuff. Look pretty wild too...and that's the rest of the appeal.

As far as modern comfort and reliability? Weekend camping and trekking is great for getting that vintage thing happening. Adds to the feel somehow...good fun. But I assure you that for the serious 24/7 backwoods lifestyle[or military] a damn modern boot with all the bells and whistles is the one to strap on. That goes for most equipment really. Looks and nostalgia are fine to a point. Depends how far 'into the wild' you're gonna go.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
It seems to me that the issue with all-leather boots is not durability (a problem I have had with, and seen others have with fabric boots) but rather the fact that they can become sodden if stuck out in the rain and wet for days at a time. Many have advocated Gore-tex lined boots, which are great in the cold, and keep one's feed dry, but for me they are far too hot in warmer climes. Also, the padding, if so equipped, can cause one's feet to sweat during the day, and then freeze at night. This is because once Gore-tex lined boots get wet inside they stay wet far, far longer than regular, unlined boots, and wet feet in the cold are a very bad thing.

What always worked well for me in the Canadian infantry, trecking in the Peruvian Andies, the Canadian and American Rockies, and the jungles of south-east Asia was a variable solution. One pair of unlined all-leather boots, multiple weights of socks, and a pair of Gore-tex socks to go between the boots and the woolen socks. In colder weather, I could put on another pair of socks. In the wet, I could put the Gore-tex socks on top of one or two pairs of woolies depending on the temperature. In the desert, I could just wear one pair of wool socks only. I'm sure you get the idea. I found this to be the only way to make one pair of boots work almost everywhere, and in almost all conditions.

I believe that modern outdoorsmen espouse the principle of layering with appropriate layers, and as far as footwear goes, this has the added advantage of allowing one to look more classically stylish than many of the modern all-in-one boots that are available.

Ultimately however, I am convined that much more important than durability, appearance, or even history that particular boot has, the very most essential quality is fit. Unfortunately I my feet are an A-width and are quite long (thing feet shaped like rulers) and my options are considerably more limited than many of you, so I do know the effect of poorly fitting boots. If your feet are wrecked or crippled, the durability of a particular boot, or its appearance is moot. Before you spend any money try on as many different boots as possible so you can tell what works for you.

de Stokesay

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Good points, de Stokesay!

I found that I could use Gore-Tex socks with my issue boots, and they worked well, as far as keeping my foot dry. But, I felt the Gore-Tex socks made my feet sweat more than the Gore-Tex bootie that is in the Matterhorn.

Though the Matterhorn's are hot in the summer. I thought they would be too hot, when I went to Ft Irwin, but the insulation actually provided some relief when standing in the hot sand. The clincher for me is that they lace to the toe. Most of the issue boots have laces that start at the instep. I find that uncomfortable some times.

I do go hiking in PA, and it seems that even in the driest part of the summer, I can manage to find a nice marsh, or swamp to sink into. So the waterproof boots are a plus. I guess if I stuck to road/trail hikes, I would like a lighter weight, non-insulated boot for the summer. Or if I was doing SWAT stuff, I'd want something that light enough to run in, and a lot more flexible, and less chunky.

I'm considering a pair of Blackhawk Black Ops boots, for the summer. Or maybe Altama Jungle Boots, with the Panama sole. It getting harder to find a Panama sole.

In the end it is what works best for you. And, that may be several different pair, if you want them to preform different jobs.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Agreed...A boot alone, bells whistles and the works, is not going to be enough without the proper layering. And fit is paramount. Still, for mild to moderate stamping about I'll usually fall victim to the nostalgia bite as far as style goes. It's funny sometimes going to a city and seeing folks in some serious gear that I wouldn't dare wear lessen I was on a polar expedition...Sorry if I offend anyone but Canada Goose chopper parkas are not not NOT for -12 downtown Toronto...

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
The clincher for me is that they lace to the toe. Most of the issue boots have laces that start at the instep. I find that uncomfortable some times.

Interesting that you should like the Matterhorns. When I was serving, several of my compatriots preferred the Fort Lewis Danners while others preferred the Matterhorns. I believe that both lace right to the toe like a linesman's style boot which gives much more flexibility to adjusting the width, but one of them (the Danners I think) fit wider than the Matterhorns. Both were too wide for me though. Remember that width is just as important as length.:p Seriously though, nothing ismore important than FIT, and what fits one doesn't fit everyone.

de Stokesay

matei

One Too Many
I'll throw my £.02 in...

When I was in the service (US 1995 - 2001), I had the standard issue leather boots, a pair of the Corcoran field boots and a pair of jungle boots - the latter were no longer issued but we were allowed to wear them all the same.

Out of all of them, the best were my standard issue boots. I still have a pair, and provided you take good care of them, they last for ages.

Even my wife got a pair - picked up a US-made pair in a surplus shop last visit to the US.

I use them for everything, they're light enough for daily use and warm enough for inclement weather. They were particularly helpful with all the snow we got.

They're not perfect for extreme cold though... I suffered frostbite on a field exercise because of them (and not changing my socks after a 20+ mile march).

You can pick them up cheap nowadays.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Warfighters have never had it better in terms of footwear selection. From robust mountaineering boots to sleek, lightweight assault boots, from those designed as for general use to those designed for specific missions, the choices are impressive and readily available.

That said, most do not fall within the style guidelines of this forum. The Corcoran Jump Boots are arguably the best of those that do. Not exactly "modern," though.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Here are my favourites that I wore the most over time:

1. The 70ies predecessor of the German standard issue combat boot Schweitzer posted. Sewen soles and very durable. As all German combat boots, they come in various widths. Unfortunately, they are very hard to come about, these days.

2. German mountain boot light or Bergschuh leicht. An excellent mountain and trecking boot with Gore-Tex lining. Well made for the Bundeswehr by companies like Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag or Haix. Definately one of the best combat boots for my taste!

3. For summer, I wore these Belleville Gore-Tex flight boots, a lot.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dreispitz said:
3. For summer, I wore these Belleville Gore-Tex flight boots, a lot.

P1090844.jpg
[/URL]

I've got a pair of these that were issued to me when I was assigned to HQ US Central Air Forces (CENTAF). I've not put them through a lot of pain; a couple of deployments to bases in Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait, daily wear while on home station at Shaw AFB in SC. Last time I wore them was on a fishing trip on the Rogue River in Oregon. I could step down into water over my ankles getting out of the boat and not worry about my feet getting cold or wet. Still, a sturdy and comfortable pair of boots.

I wore out a few pairs of Matterhorn boots over the years. I loved them!

Cheers,
Tom

wwhitby

New in Town
I used to wear Corcoran Mach boots with my BDUs. Those boots, and Hi Tech boots, were the most comfortable boots that i've ever worn.

Warren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo