Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modifying sleave lengths

Travis

Suspended
I don't know if there's been anything posted about this before, or if it's just a dumb question to begin with (although my grandpa always says there's no such thing as a dumb question, there are just a lot of inquisitive idiots). Anyway, I have a decent looking charcoal single-breasted trench coat that I got from my dad from when he went through the six-month period in his life when he actually dressed nice. It fits perfectly with the exception of the sleaves being a bit too short. It doesn't look bad if I wear it over a shirt, but I'd really like to wear it over my suits. Is it usually possible to get a tailor to pull some extra material out of the lining to make it fit right or is that missing inch going to mean I just need to go buy a new coat?

MB5

One of the Regulars
It depends on if you want the sleeves to look the same.

I did that with a Dunn & Co. Harris Tweed coat, but it no longer has the faux flap to make it look like the button is actually doing something. I also had to add some material to the sleeve lining.

Micawber

A-List Customer
There is usually a bit of let down in most sleeves. As long as the original cuff edges are still good and not faded you should be ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot