Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MONTECRISTI panama on the bay

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
ive seen theese MONTECRISTI panama's on the bay from $32-$39 they ship rolled or in a cardboard box unrolled.
will rolling a straw hat ruin it?

Hats at this price range are not montecristi.

Raw woven hat bodies were rolled in bamboo tubes. Once blocked and shaped, a straw hat will not enjoy being rolled.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
that was my thought it can be had both ways i have a bay card from christmas burning a hole in my pocket and im wanting the most bang for my buck

Keep in mind also, should you ever find yourself in possession of a straw hat body you'd like to have turned into a hat more to your liking, that straws and felts are very different animals. Doing a proper job with a straw involves shaped (as contrasted with open crown) blocks and their corresponding tippers, and a distinct set of skills. Sewing sweatbands and ribbons to straw bodies is quite unlike executing the same jobs on felts.

It appears that relatively few hatters are so equipped and skilled. I certainly ain't. Fortunately, I am well acquainted with a couple of hatters who are darned good with straws, so any requests for straw hats coming my way result in referrals to those fellows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic