Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Akubra advice please

Dr Roly

New in Town
I tried on a Coober Pedy today - the only Akubra I have seen anywhere in a shop rather than online. Whilst I loved the quality, the style just didn't suit me. The crown looked too bulky. I'm tall, heavily built with broad shoulders and whole effect was a little "top heavy" for want of a better phrase.

I dont know kuch about hats so I hope this makes sense: Can anyone recommend a hat of similar quality but less "bulk" in the crown? I think ideally the crown would be lower and possibly more tapered. I would still want a brim that drops rather than turns up at the back.

Maybe something more similar to a fedora, but suited to country use?

Thanks.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
: Can anyone recommend a hat of similar quality but less "bulk" in the crown? I think ideally the crown would be lower and possibly more tapered. I would still want a brim that drops rather than turns up at the back.

Thanks.

I had the same experience with the CP - I found that the Cattleman fits the bill if you're after something similar to the Coober Pedy. The Cattleman is the hat you are most likely to see in Australia. You don't see lots of Akubras here but when one comes along it is often this model. It's often issued to outdoor workers. I generally trim the brim a little because the 3 inches looks a bit wide on me.

cattleman_fawn_main.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Given a fedora-esque bash and the front brim steamed down, the Campdraft can have a country-meets-town sort of a look:

253271_10150831101447260_633122954_n.jpg

546322_10150831101892260_1826304051_n.jpg

ETA: you'd have to steam the back down too, mind.

Alternatively, you could look at the Riverina, or possibly one of the fedora models.

Duper

Practically Family
I have two Banjo Paterson's as well and they are nice hats. On the graphite one I had the brim trimmed 1/4 inch by the hat vendor before shipping.

Another very similar dimensioned hat, but less expensive would be the Leisure Time. More colour selection as well. I do not own one, but if that was the style I was looking for it would be on my short list.

Given a fedora-esque bash and the front brim steamed down, the Campdraft can have a country-meets-town sort of a look:

253271_10150831101447260_633122954_n.jpg

546322_10150831101892260_1826304051_n.jpg

ETA: you'd have to steam the back down too, mind.

Alternatively, you could look at the Riverina, or possibly one of the fedora models.

A look I aspire to achieve.. Outstanding.

CCJ

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I tried on a Coober Pedy today - the only Akubra I have seen anywhere in a shop rather than online. Whilst I loved the quality, the style just didn't suit me. The crown looked too bulky. I'm tall, heavily built with broad shoulders and whole effect was a little "top heavy" for want of a better phrase.

I dont know kuch about hats so I hope this makes sense: Can anyone recommend a hat of similar quality but less "bulk" in the crown? I think ideally the crown would be lower and possibly more tapered. I would still want a brim that drops rather than turns up at the back.

Thanks.

The whole bulk in the crown concept is an evolving taste issue. Most of us start where you are and migrate toward the fuller crowns later. Also from what you describe of your build, such bulk is commonly seen as complimentary for you.

However, if a lighter/tapered fedora look is desired from Akubra, look for a Stylemaster or if the brim size is part of the problem, try their Fedora. If a smaller crown with down turned brim, then Leisuretime has a similar crease with a slightly lower crown. If you want a tear drop crease, you can go for a Cattleman or Overlander. Or, you can get an open crown and crease it to suit you. Bushman, Squatter, CampDraft or Sydney will get this done.

Peruse the thread Akubra Overload
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?33000-Akubra-Overload
for a long line of ideas and images.

But be warned - it is infectious. :)

Fed

Last edited:

Dr Roly

New in Town
The whole bulk in the crown concept is an evolving taste issue. Most of us start where you are and migrate toward the fuller crowns later. Also from what you describe of your build, such bulk is commonly seen as complimentary for you.

However, if a lighter/tapered fedora look is desired from Akubra, look for a Stylemaster or if the brim size is part of the problem, try their Fedora. If a smaller crown with down turned brim, then Leisuretime has a similar crease with a slightly lower crown. If you want a tear drop crease, you can go for a Cattleman or Overlander. Or, you can get an open crown and crease it to suit you. Bushman, Squatter, CampDraft or Sydney will get this done.

Peruse the thread Akubra Overload
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?33000-Akubra-Overload
for a long line of ideas and images.

But be warned - it is infectious. :)

Fed

I hear you. I wish I could pull off the look like other people on the forum do. I end up looking like an urbane Brit trying to look like a stylish American or rugged Aussie.

Also the English shooting community is rather conservative when it comes to attire. I wish I could turn up wearing my Stetson, oilskin duster and weskit :)

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
I hear you. I wish I could pull off the look like other people on the forum do. I end up looking like an urbane Brit trying to look like a stylish American or rugged Aussie.

Also the English shooting community is rather conservative when it comes to attire. I wish I could turn up wearing my Stetson, oilskin duster and weskit :)
dude lifes to short to worry about what others think about your haberdash.
wear what you want

CRH

Call Me a Cab

I leave my brim in the vehicle at the shooting range. Here's a pic of one of my range hats. That should take the twist out of even the most pompous tweed.

HPIM3026.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Get that man a CampDraft and teach him to give it a proper crease!

Dave Minshall or Robin Hewitt would not let opinions of others keep them from wearing whatever they wanted on their heads while shooting.

Gleefully stirring the pot,

Fed

Dr Roly

New in Town
Nothing like hot brass to put a stain on your ribbon. Ask me how I know this. :eusa_doh:

Nothing like gunpowder smoke for staining a light coloured hat. That was from a day where we used traditional gunpowder cartridges for fun. Never do that in nice clothes!

Anyway taken the plunge and ordered a Cattlemaster. Thanks all for your advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy