Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Akubra advice please

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Definitely these three and the Banjo Paterson. The FED is a great hat but is exclusive the The Hattery (Hats Direct) in Australia - no one else carries it.. The Adventurer is essentially a slightly larger brimmed version of the FED IV and is sold open crown as well so that is an alternative.

Be careful in ordering the Adventurer since the same name is used for two very different hats and you might be disappointed depending upon which you want.

This is not what people are suggesting as similar to the Fed IV:
http://everythingaustralian.com.au/adventurer-hat.html (Got a new one in size 58 for sale at a reasonable price...)
This is the one which is similar to the Fed IV:
http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1128

Just thought that you should know so you avoid my mistake.

Fed

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Be careful in ordering the Adventurer since the same name is used for two very different hats and you might be disappointed depending upon which you want.

http://everythingaustralian.com.au/adventurer-hat.html (Got a new one in size 58 for sale at a reasonable price...)

Fed
I believe the only thing similar to The Fed is a Fed.

Knotten

Practically Family
I second the bluegrass Campdraft. Great hat. Don't overlook the Fedora, or Sydney. That's a nice looking open crown hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gromulus

Practically Family

Fed

Correct re. the two versions of the Adventurer.

I was always lead to believe that David Morgan is the sole US importer/distributor of Akubras and all stateside vendors have to get their hats from them....which may possibly eliminate the Campdraft since Daveid Morgan does not carry that model. The Bushman is a similar hat with a slightly larger brim...but only available in two colors - Nullabor Tan and Moonstone.

RJR

Hat-Akubra Adventurer.jpg

This is the Morgan version with a different band.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I first started getting into hats the Stylemaster seemed to be the one for me, but I held off and I'm glad I did. What put me off was that I went into a hat shop and tried on a few styles in front of a mirror. One style was very similar to a Stylemaster, and when I saw myself in it I couldn't whisk it off fast enough. I have a large northern European head (Celtic) and wide-spaced eyes, so smaller hats with tapered, smallish crowns and 2 1/2 brims make me look like a pinhead or a guy wearing a dunce-cap (I had enough of that in grade school). So I went for the CD, which I think suits me far better, and now I won't even consider a brim of less than 2 5/8. My crowns also seem to be getting higher and higher.

When I first started getting into hats the Stylemaster seemed to be the one for me, but I held off and I'm glad I did. What put me off was that I went into a hat shop and tried on a few styles in front of a mirror. One style was very similar to a Stylemaster, and when I saw myself in it I couldn't whisk it off fast enough. I have a large northern European head (Celtic) and wide-spaced eyes, so smaller hats with tapered, smallish crowns and 2 1/2 brims make me look like a pinhead or a guy wearing a dunce-cap (I had enough of that in grade school). So I went for the CD, which I think suits me far better, and now I won't even consider a brim of less than 2 5/8. My crowns also seem to be getting higher and higher.

I concur. The most fun of this hat collecting endeavour has been discovering what "works" for me when I look in the mirror. I can't explain it as you do but there is an aesthetic sense of what works and what does not when I look in the mirror. I now have a collection of hats (I have jettisoned the ones that just did not feel right) that I feel great and comfortable while wearing. It has been a fun ride and well worth the time and expense as I now do not feel completely dressed without a hat (or newsboy cap).
I love my Sydney (close to a Stylemaster) and wear it a lot but am not fully comfortable, YET!, in my CD. But it is such a great hat that I will not jettison it just yet or until I have given it every opportunity to win me over.

javadave61

Practically Family
I'd add that if you're going to the trouble of ordering a felt hat, have them throw in a straw with it. For another $40, you'll have the one straw hat that you can wear in the rain, let take a beating, keep you cool, and still look brand new. I ordered a Capricorn with my last order and will probably get a Country Club or a Rink with my next order for those hot summer days when a wide brim and sun protection are paramount.

BTW, I so loved the dimensions of the Capricorn that I ordered the Stylemaster, since it's supposedly the same dimensions. It's a risk given that a lot of the guys here aren't too thrilled with the taper. But I can handle a little taper myself. We'll see soon enough (as I'm 2 months into my 3 month wait).

RBH

Bartender
Correct re. the two versions of the Adventurer.

I was always lead to believe that David Morgan is the sole US importer/distributor of Akubras and all stateside vendors have to get their hats from them....which may possibly eliminate the Campdraft since Daveid Morgan does not carry that model. The Bushman is a similar hat with a slightly larger brim...but only available in two colors - Nullabor Tan and Moonstone.

The good folk at One 2 Mini Ranch now have a few Akubras. The Cattleman and Stylemaster, I was told that if they do well they will try and get the Campdraft.

Edward

Bartender
I'd say, for starters, you need a bluegrass green Campdraft. After that, the addiction just grows. I paired mine today with a dark brown tweed jacket and was stopped three times by people wanting to tell me how great it looked. I don't know, but I feel kind of dashing in the Akubras.

For my money, you just can't find a production hat these days thst will beat an Akubra. I've been wearing at leastvone of mine hard since 2007, and it srtill looks superb; another survived being trampled at a Pogues gig...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy