Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More new duds (second suit added)...

havershaw

Practically Family
Here's the second of the three suits I just bought:

f82052af.jpg
f82052aa.jpg

The second picture shows what the color looks like in bright sunlight. It's super lightweight fabric - like paper. It's a late 30s suit, and I have a second suit (which I'll wear tomorrow and try to get a pic of) which belonged to the same fellow and is of the same era.

That's also a 30s-40s era tie and NOS dress shirt.

This is my favorite of the three suits...probably because it doesn't hurt to wear it in Arizona (I have started wearing suits every day).

I also bought this one at the same time, and is from the same estate (the same guy's name is inscribed inside the pants and jacket). This is a heavier wool, black-and-white houndstooth. It only closes with one button in front, unlike my two other suits. I think it's meant to be a little more casual, or maybe it's just a little more on the cutting-edge of fashion at the time. anyway, here it is (houndstooth look weird on my camera):
f8193058.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, looks great, havershaw! Where, oh where do you find these great vintage suits? I know, you've got a time machine, right?;)

Brad Bowers

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
David,
If you need any help with your avatar i'll be glad to lend a hand. It looks as if you cut your face in two. Sad so sad. :) Will the bottom part please stand up.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I really love the look! U are marvelous!

Canadave..I still think you are wanted by someone;)

Havershaw...the houndstooth suit, it looks great. I just was ..well this is not really a criticism, but would brown shoes go better, that is dark brown? I also think that black and white spectators would better add to the 40's look. Maybe Art would advise me as he knows his vintage stuff. It just may be the flash and your feet being at the bottom (duh..that was stupid).

Anyway, I honestly love those suits. Art can't help me at this point as all the stuff I like is for someone 30 pounds lighter.

Gee, I either have to get real sick (nope) or see Dr. Atkins!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great suits Havershaw. the first looks late 30s- early 40s but the second one is very early 50s I think. the "Single button Roll" was popular in 50-53.
Andy, he has the right shoes on for an houndstooth. Brown would look out of place with a black & white suit.

A big THUMBS UP!!!

havershaw

Practically Family
AndyKev,
Those are indeed black shoes. In the photo, the houndstooth might look sort of like a brown houndstooth, but in reality, it is most definitely a black-and-white check. I put the brown shoes on, and they looked a little weird.
I've been on the hunt for some good spectators, and this weekend, I found one lonely pair in a vintage shop in Tucson - and they were exactly my size. They are Matrix brand and are pretty great looking.
But I would definitely like to grab myself a pair of black-and-white spectators at some point. They are indeed sharp.
My new shoes:
f8171491.jpg

f817148c.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yepper

I agree. The photo may be off, and the look on my monitor was "softer".

The black works. Art told me on the phone tonight that the spectators are actually "more casual" than the solids. Just learning something new every day.

Still, those suits are something you can take great pride in.

havershaw

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words, gents. Interesting about that houndstooth being from the 50s. The fellow who owned both must have lot weight, because the brown suit has a 30 waist and the houndstooth is like a 27 or 28. bit of a tight squeeze for me, but I was able to wear it in the studio all day and then out at night without too much discomfort. I think I did breathe a little easier when I took 'em off, though.

Did they have those gigantic peaked lapels in the 50s too? I'll have to check my catalogues...

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by havershaw
...the houndstooth is like a 27 or 28. bit of a tight squeeze for me, but I was able to wear it in the studio all day and then out at night without too much discomfort. I think I did breathe a little easier when I took 'em off, though.

So you are wearing your Playtex girdle?

HAHAHAH rember those? (not for us, the girls!)

I NO WAY could wear a pair of pants that was "inches" shy of my normal 36. Some of my dockers are 38 for comfort. Suits for me are 36 waist, 44 S coat.

At the rate I'm going, I'll look like Eddie G. Robinson in "Key Largo"..

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Waaaa

A rod See, a gat, ya wanna see some lead?

Wise guy! Rocco. Ya, that's me, Johnny Rocco.

Wadda I want? More. Ya, that's it, more!
Will I ever have enough? I never have, NO...I guess I never will!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ha ha ha, you guys are too funny! Key Largo, good stuff for sure. Havershaw, those suits are just the living end my friend! I really like the dark brown one! That Mallory really sets it off nicely!

The houndstooth suit does look a little 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s but I had a suit that was dated 1946 that had the same cut! I have seen movies from the late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s with some men sporting the same styled suits! Not every double breasted were six buttons. Just out of curiosity, is there a date in side any of the pockets? Or a union tag with a copy right on it? If so, that would help out a lot. But, Art is right about that cut being popular in the early 50's.

BTW, I remember you saying something about you not looking good in double breasted. Yeah, I remember something like that. Well my friend, you were wrong! Those pic?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s look swell!

Cheers.

havershaw

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words, my friend. I agree with you now - double=breasteds look fine on me.

As far as dating goes, the blue suit has a date of 1948 in it. The houndstooth has a union tag in it, but no date, and the brown one has a tag that says something about the Clothing Authority of America. There's also a bunch of numbers in the brown one...it says '35' in a few different places, so it could be 1935.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21